RESERVISTS SIDELINED ON RETIREMENT -- 01-19-2008 #4

Jason Perry

Founder and Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Same bill, same beef over early retirement for reservists.

More...

The proposed bill to lower age at which reservists who deploy can start drawing retirement pay seems to make a lot of sense to me. If you agree, you should let your Congressmen know. This bill would be a great incentive for continued service and retention for our streched Guard and Reserve.

The proposed bill to lower age at which reservists who deploy can start drawing retirement pay seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Yeah, but the effective date is the date it is signed into law, not retroactive.

Right, it is a step forward, but from a policy point of view, it could be better. Ideally, I think it would apply to all those mobilized since 9/11 . The law would have to specifically state retroactivity in order for it to apply before it is signed into law. The trade off with that is the cost which may make such a move politically unfeasible (even in its current form, the bill only has three co-sponsors, so it looks like it may be a challenge to getting it passed even in its current form). The way to try to get that to change is for Vets (or even better Vets and current Servicemembers) to vote together on candidates and issues that help us.