Retiring while on the high intrest list?

mr pig

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I had an interesting conversation with my MH provider-they said they are changing my baseline for depression to that of having suicidal thoughts/ideations as normal-and that if I don't have anything more severe in 4 weeks I'll be counted as stable.

I asked why they were doing that and they said they didn't want to retire me being on the high interest list due to the stigma it might give me. That seems like a bogus answer. I'm currently awaiting a fit or unfit rating--is this going to affect that or my va ratings?

If my suicidal thoughts get worse I normally mention it, but if it's going to extend my time staying in the med board process then I would rather not.

Anyone know what's going on here?

From my personal experience, the HIL will not keep you from retiring. I'm not sure what stigma it might give you retiring on the HIL and only you (and your chain) would know about it.

From my personal experience, the HIL will not keep you from retiring. I'm not sure what stigma it might give you retiring on the HIL and only you (and your chain) would know about it.

Yeah I don't think it would give me any stigma so I was thinking maybe there was another reason they didn't want to mention? I don't know, I just thought it was weird.

It is unlikely any one you will encounter after you retire would have any knowledge of a HIL.

Hi Mr Pig,
I read your comments and find the information your MH provider is claiming truly concerning, and contrary to MH care. Is the provider an MD Psychiatrist or Social Worker ? I would ask for this in writing..

So I had an interesting conversation with my MH provider-they said they are changing my baseline for depression to that of having suicidal thoughts/ideations as normal-and that if I don't have anything more severe in 4 weeks I'll be counted as stable.

I asked why they were doing that and they said they didn't want to retire me being on the high interest list due to the stigma it might give me. That seems like a bogus answer. I'm currently awaiting a fit or unfit rating--is this going to affect that or my va ratings?

If my suicidal thoughts get worse I normally mention it, but if it's going to extend my time staying in the med board process then I would rather not.

Anyone know what's going on here?

It may not affect your ratings. Please allow me to pose this question; if this were to not affect your rating, how would you feel about being taken off of the HIL?

If you are having SI/HI, and no specific plan of action, it might be the correct call. Your rating percentage is going to mostly be derived from the C&P evaluation based off of the answers the physician documents on the DBQ.

I'm ok with being taken off it, but was just concerned if I had a bad week and thoughts of action entered my head I didn't want that to affect anything else in a negative way if I was honest about it.

Hi Mr Pig,
I read your comments and find the information your MH provider is claiming truly concerning, and contrary to MH care. Is the provider an MD Psychiatrist or Social Worker ? I would ask for this in writing..

They are a Psychologist-not psychiatrist-but they are working in tandem with the psychiatrist I see. Why would you say it's concerning?

Hi Mr Pig,
I am concerned that the issue or word of stigma even came up in a conversation. The concern is that you get the best MH care possible....this is not about stigma it is about care...getting the right care, at the right time, should not be in the negative. The SI issue you speak of requires proper monitoring even after you leave service...this maybe situational for you ( I do not know) your history but I do know depression & SI should not be stigmatized it is a illness ( I just get so frustrated by military MH care)...

I understand what you're saying. I think I tend to beat myself up over my condition and that's probably why they said it. Of course, if things get worse for me I know now to speak up. Thanks for the advice everyone : )