SAFPC Grade Determination Timeline?

uhwarrior

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Anyone have any insight on how long it is taking SAFPC to provide grade determinations?

Lots of views on this thread, and no feedback :) Just a follow-up that I received my grade determination from SAFPC today. My case was referred to SAFPC on 7/21/17 and I received notification of completion on 8/2/17. Now I am waiting on orders :)

Quick question for you...why did you need a grade determination?

I was administratively demoted from E-7 to E-6 for fitness failures. Demotion action was started during the MEB process.

I was administratively demoted from E-7 to E-6 for fitness failures. Demotion action was started during the MEB process.
Oh, that sucks! Did you get E-7 back? I meet my promotion board at the end of this year.

Was the grade determination done before receiving ratings/356 or after (like while awaiting actual orders and a retirement date)?

I still don't know the answer to my question above since I was told that there would not be a grade determination on my case and then surprise, there is one.

I signed my 356/ratings 31Aug. I waited for orders until 18Sep when I was told that my case was being held up since I was being put in for a grade determination. I wasn't too worried after reading this thread, but now it has been over a month and I haven't heard about the results.

Has anyone else had one fairly recently? I got impatient and called AFPC and was told they were waiting on EPRs but the PEBLO says it has been sent. I know we all enjoy the unknown, but is there any way to check on the issue? I have been dealing with this IDES process since summer 2015 (without any rebuttals on my end because I just want to be done) and I'm crushed knowing I had an end date, and now I am back to not knowing anything.

I still don't know the answer to my question above since I was told that there would not be a grade determination on my case and then surprise, there is one.

I signed my 356/ratings 31Aug. I waited for orders until 18Sep when I was told that my case was being held up since I was being put in for a grade determination. I wasn't too worried after reading this thread, but now it has been over a month and I haven't heard about the results.

Has anyone else had one fairly recently? I got impatient and called AFPC and was told they were waiting on EPRs but the PEBLO says it has been sent. I know we all enjoy the unknown, but is there any way to check on the issue? I have been dealing with this IDES process since summer 2015 (without any rebuttals on my end because I just want to be done) and I'm crushed knowing I had an end date, and now I am back to not knowing anything.

The grade determination is the last step of the process. You will sign for everything (IPEB findings), and then the process gets held up while SAF does the grade determination. Once that’s complete, you get a letter outlining the outcome, and then orders are cut... The grade determination for me was relatively quick... Honestly the grade determination is a convoluted and pointless process. My pay will supposedly be based upon highest rank held; however ID and everything else said the lower rank.

I was hoping to just avoid the whole thing since it has no effect on the rest of my life. I'm still waiting to hear back. I was hoping mine would be quick like yours, but I haven't heard anything yet.

So another question for you since you may know, did you get to "choose" your final out timeframe again after you heard about the outcome of the grade determination? I filled mine out when I signed the 356 but that date has come and gone over 2 weeks ago and I do not want to stay here for 30 more days (I want to outprocess in as little time as they allow me to).

Is there any benefit to getting a grade determination? For example, I am up for promotion and the AF announced 100% promo if you don't have to compete (Officer) which I don't. Is there any benefit in my requesting a grade determination? Is there more pay?

I was hoping to just avoid the whole thing since it has no effect on the rest of my life. I'm still waiting to hear back. I was hoping mine would be quick like yours, but I haven't heard anything yet.

So another question for you since you may know, did you get to "choose" your final out timeframe again after you heard about the outcome of the grade determination? I filled mine out when I signed the 356 but that date has come and gone over 2 weeks ago and I do not want to stay here for 30 more days (I want to outprocess in as little time as they allow me to).

Yes. So once the grade determination comes back, your package immediately goes to AFPC Disability Branch, where a case manager is going to automatically determine when your separation and retirement date is. They're going to calculate your out date based upon an average of 20 days to outprocess, plus any unused leave you might have; they automatically assume that you want to use all of your leave as terminal leave. In my case (and this might not be the best option for someone who does not already have backup employment lined up) I told them that I did NOT want to take terminal leave, I was fine with selling everything out - "I want out NOW!" So my date went from being nearly 2 months out, to 1 month out. If you want out soon, I would make sure you let your PEBLO know that, so they can funnel that information up to AFPC Disability. In my case, they had already cut orders expecting me to use terminal leave, and it took them an additional week to re-cut orders with a quicker end date.

Is there any benefit to getting a grade determination? For example, I am up for promotion and the AF announced 100% promo if you don't have to compete (Officer) which I don't. Is there any benefit in my requesting a grade determination? Is there more pay?

AFLady, my understanding is that the grade determination only really means something if you are eligible for regular retirement benefits AND disability retirement benefits (meaning you did your 20+ years AND have greater than 30% disability I think). I can't remember what the phrase for this is, since I was not eligible. In my case, the grade determination really isn't worth the paper that it was typed up on... Except it made the process longer. My disability pay was based on high 3 regardless, ID card still is the lower of the two ranks, everything says "TSgt" except the retirement order which says I was retired as a "MSgt."

I'm fairly certain, and again I'm not the expert as this process is very convoluted, that the grade determination is used primarily for people who were either demoted for cause or administratively demoted. I don't know that they will do a grade determination for people who may have been eligible for promotion... It might be worth an email to legal counsel (and good luck dealing with them, if you haven't already).

When I was medically retired with close to 27 years AD, I was on promotion list so was promoted to next higher rank. Promotion orders were cut and I was even given a promotion ceremony. I believe that even though you don't have 20 years, but are on the promotion list and medically retire, you still get promoted to next higher rank. Now I do only receive my high 3 for pay but my retired ID shows the higher rank I was retired at. Even my .mil address showed my next higher rank before turning in my CAC for retired ID. If you are promoted you should get promotion orders and you turn them in when clearing. Now grade determination due to reduction I am not so sure about. But if they do promote you back to higher grade I would guess there would be orders involved.

So I signed for my ratings and final out date time frame 31Aug...16Oct and still waiting on this (quite useless) grade determination. Does anyone know of a way to find out if they even received the paperwork they need to do this? I asked my PEBLO and she keeps giving me the 6-8 week line, but I am seeing about 2 weeks on this thread. =(

So I signed for my ratings and final out date time frame 31Aug...16Oct and still waiting on this (quite useless) grade determination. Does anyone know of a way to find out if they even received the paperwork they need to do this? I asked my PEBLO and she keeps giving me the 6-8 week line, but I am seeing about 2 weeks on this thread. =(

How did you get notified that they were doing a grade determination?

I was actually waiting on orders and my PEBLO had to tell me things were being held up due to a grade determination. It was kind of "iffy" since the admin demotion happened at the very beginning of this MEB process.

I did however get an email from Mypers this morning. The wording is kind of weird because I am not appealing anything nor did I elect to appeal the demotion at this point in life (it became official as of March 2016 so I kind of want to be rid of any thoughts of it). I am assuming this is just a Mypers notification that my case was finally forwarded to SAFPC 47 days after I signed for my ratings (no idea what the delay was there, but PEBLO just parrors (6-8 more weeks anytime I ask anything).

I pasted the email below.

The Physical Disability Operations Branch submitted your Disability

Evaluation System case to Secretary of the Air Force Personnel Council

(SAFPC). SAFPC is an administrative body charged to determine whether

wounded, ill or injured Airmen are fit for continued military service. The

purpose of the Air Force Disability Program is to maintain a fit and vital

force. The SAFPC gives careful consideration to each disability case to

ensure Airmen receive the benefit of a full and fair adjudication in

accordance with established disability related statutory, policy and

programmatic guidelines. Once SAFPC makes a decision on your case, you will

be briefed on the results by your PEBLO.

SAFPC provides Airmen a final appeal option for their disability case. Here

are some key things to remember:

SAFPC conducts a records only review, which includes an audio recording of

your Formal Physical Evaluation Board hearing.

SAFPC provides Airmen with a detailed memorandum outlining the final

decision and rationale for the decision.

Airmen who disagree with the SAFPC decision have the option to request a

one-time SAFPC reconsideration. If approved, this reconsideration option

allows Airmen to submit new documentation not previously reviewed by SAFPC.

If you elected a one-time Veterans Affairs reconsideration at the time you

requested SAFPC appeal, it is recommended you consult your legal

representative and your PEBLO.

[---001:001295:64360---]

Last edited:
112 days and counting here. I know this is an older thread, but anyone else going through SAFPC review?