SCA, AICD, IDES

Miking

Registered Member
First off, I just want to say thanks to everyone for all the great information posted on this website.

A little about myself, 31 year old male in the ANG (11years) as a dual status tech (9 years). Deployed to Iraq (2 times) and Afghanistan (2 times).
I’m a survivor from an out of hospital sudden death cardiac arrest in Jan. Received an Automatic Implantable Cardio Defibrillator (AICD) for insurance, cardiologist still have no idea what cause it. No family history, no heart disease, heart currently at 100% good, and was in great shape before the Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA).

My plan/timeline since I’m most likely unfit for duty/worldwide deployable.
Jan-cardiac arrest, 18 days in hospital, received AICD, not on orders at the time.
Feb-Apr Physical therapy for two months.
Mid-Apr return to work
Early-Apr Sent in medical records to base medical
Later-Apr Medical records are half-way reviewed at IDES.
Have not done-Sent in paperwork for Traumatic Injury Protection (TSGLI), just having a problem finding a doctor. Primary care doc apt is in AUG (this is crazy for a civilian doc), VA doctor apt is later this month (2 months to get in, unreal), I’m about to just go to Wal-Mart and see the doc there to fill out the paperwork. Any suggestions when filling this out?
I’m going to go to the DAV later this week. Received medical records from both military and civilian to give to the DAV.
My questions would be
Can this be service connected? I’m in maintenance working in hazardous environments, has anyone linked or used evidence to help their case?
My enlistment date is up in July, should I use Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) to fast track the process?
Any suggestions-tidbits of information is very appreciated.

Well, here is quick heads up of my situation... they denied my claim for heart issue cause i had sudden cardiac death 5 months after i got out of the army and had a AICD implanted. after forever they denied my claim... so I had an appeal done, an I am on the list for the travel board... I am wondering if I have enough evidence.

So evidence wise as I am about to go in front of the BVA soon.
Evidence I have:

A - NEVER had any sort of heart problem, chest pain, nothing issue wise with my heart prior to military

1st - In basic training I had chest pain, got put in a civilian hospital because EKG showed something was wrong, the symptoms ended and 3 days later I got sent back to training without diagnosis of what was causing it

2nd - In afghanistan, I had chest pain, back pain, insomnia, anxiety ect ect... all treated by my field medic because of no aide station local, so he wrote a big long lay statement for this upcoming board of veterans appeals for me stating all of my symptoms while deployed.

3rd - Within a year of being out of the army (around 5 months after) my heart stopped and I recieved an ICD, the va hospital implanted the ICD, after making the civilian hospital I was in transfer me to them, an I am assuming the VA finally covered the medical bills since i havent received any in a long time. - I figured it would be presumed because it was so close to my ETS.

Shouldn't that be sufficient evidence to tie the claim to the military and be granted service connection?