Schizoid ratings

anonymouse

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all,
Recently I was diagnosed with Schizoid type A personality disorder. This has shown up in my live in conjunction with PTSD, anxiety, and depression. I understand that this is not rated by the VA. Can anyone help me with what this looks like? I don't think that the AF will MEB me given that I have been seen for a number of years for many issues. Because I cannot continue to function in the military, I will be getting out after my enlistment is up. Just trying to prepare for what I need to do at this point. Thanks for the help.

Was this diagnosis made by your VA C&P evaluator or who you are currently receiving treatment from?

Schizoid symptoms are almost always present with conditions such as PTSD, Anxiety and Depression.

More than likely you will be rated by the VA.

I would fight against the personality disorder and ask for an impartial review. Was the personality disorder diagnosed after taking the MMPI or MCMI? The AF is quite dirty with the personality disorders they label you with. They can push for a admin discharge as well based on the pd alone. I truly wish you the best of luck.

I would definitely seek an outside provider to try and get the most accurate decision. The Air Force would not recognize my Bipolar or PTSD while I was in. My PEBLO even told me I'm not Bipolar, Bipolar people don't know their Bipolar. 1 month after leaving the Air Force, 1st VA appointment and it took no longer than 30 minutes for my 1st psychiatrist to diagnose me with Bipolar. A couple months later, diagnosed with PTSD. The Air Force was slick trying to pass it off as adjustment disorder with depressed mood. Since leaving the AF, bumped up from 50% to 100%.

I suggest getting an outside provider than does not have a preconceived judgment and looking out for the military's wallet. Request your records for that provider to have something to go on. See which local providers will accept Tricare so you're not out of pocket. I wouldn't rely on a civilian doctor the Air Force sends you too. I was sent to a rehab center done in the civilian world, Laurel Ridge in San Antonio. They just went with the Air Force's diagnoses.

PD are often misdiagnosed. Providers tend to jump to the criteria for the specific PD and forget that the criteria that must be present in all PD disorders, specifically:

"The essential features of a personality disorder are impairments in personality (self and interpersonal) functioning and the presence of pathological personality traits. To diagnose a personality disorder, the following criteria must be met: A. Significant impairments in self (identity or self-direction) and interpersonal (empathy or intimacy) functioning. B. One or more pathological personality trait domains or trait facets. C. The impairments in personality functioning and the individual‟s personality trait expression are relatively stable across time and consistent across situations. D. The impairments in personality functioning and the individual‟s personality trait expression are not better understood as normative for the individual‟s developmental stage or sociocultural environment. E. The impairments in personality functioning and the individual‟s personality trait expression are not solely due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., severe head trauma)."

The primary presentation of schizoid personality disorder is lack of relationship, even pleasurable activities. As point out above (@gsfowler) schizoid PD's withdraw of relationship is also found with PTSD. The clinician must parse "why" in order to make a proper diagnosis.

I'd find a clinician with an excellent reputation and skills and then ask for a second opinion with him/her.

Best regards
Mike

if have kept incidents that resulted in ptsd/mst silent for yrs. It has always been there but after I stopped excessive drinking is worse. I am going to file for my disabilities and suggestion? symptons depression anxiety loss of appetite ect.

I would definitely seek an outside provider to try and get the most accurate decision. The Air Force would not recognize my Bipolar or PTSD while I was in. My PEBLO even told me I'm not Bipolar, Bipolar people don't know their Bipolar. 1 month after leaving the Air Force, 1st VA appointment and it took no longer than 30 minutes for my 1st psychiatrist to diagnose me with Bipolar. A couple months later, diagnosed with PTSD. The Air Force was slick trying to pass it off as adjustment disorder with depressed mood. Since leaving the AF, bumped up from 50% to 100%.

I suggest getting an outside provider than does not have a preconceived judgment and looking out for the military's wallet. Request your records for that provider to have something to go on. See which local providers will accept Tricare so you're not out of pocket. I wouldn't rely on a civilian doctor the Air Force sends you too. I was sent to a rehab center done in the civilian world, Laurel Ridge in San Antonio. They just went with the Air Force's diagnoses.

My psychiatrist did the same thing to me and made it seem like I was just trying to get separated. Finally was able to get myself transferred to a new psychiatrist at a different base and they agreed with my concerns and diagnosed me with BPII. It sucks how much they can make you feel crazier than you already are!