Separated to retired?

Doublejay82

Registered Member
I was recently medically separated with a 20% rating for the separating condition after going through a MEB. I fought it while I was in to no prevail. After I separated, my separating was increased by the VA to 40% which would have medically retired me. They increased it with the same information that was provided through the MEB. Can my status change to medically retired? I was told that the Army would give me the rating that the VA gave me during my MEB. Since it changed, i was hoping my status can be as well from medically separated to medically retired.

gsfowler

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
If you were separated between 9/11/2001 and 12/31/2009 you can petition the PDBR. If after 1/1/2010 you would have to petition the ABCMR.

scoutCC

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was told that the Army would give me the rating that the VA gave me during my MEB.
The way the VA updated your rating and why will be important. The VA can raise and lower ratings over time as things change. The military is required to base it off your condition at the time of separation. If the VA backdated the change to your separation date this will be easier to fix.

They increased it with the same information that was provided through the MEB.
Your success with the BCMR will likely depend on how well you can prove this statement.

haydenm2002

Registered Member
I know the feeling on this one... I was separated with 20% and the V.A. added 10% to it for the nerve issue on the right however no one has addressed the left side yet.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">