Severance

jhopkins76

Registered Member
My husband has been waiting for 50 days now for his money. They said it could take 60-90 days to get it. He called last week and was told that his case finally started to get looked over on the 21st so we are just waiting now. The VA in the mean time is re-going over his rating because his PTSD has become very unstable and the rating they gave him back in 09 was not high enough they said. So we are back at the wait and see what the new rating is going to be.

jhopkins76

Registered Member
I wish they have had my husband's paperwork since August and he was told today that he would not get it until Dec. 1. They also tried in the same breath telling us saying they did not even have his orders for severance pay. I am thinking monkeys are working at finance.

JAlmond

Registered Member
Wow 10 days??? Gee I got my Honorable Discharge May 2012 after signing my TDRL findings from Ft. Lewis, which fell below to 30%. I have heard nothing since then, no severance nothing and im going on almost 6 months. Now im wondering if its taking so long because my injuries occurred in combat and it's tax free and they got to further review the numbers.... I have no clue whats going on right now, I called DFAS and they mentioned that the Army is reviewing... I have no clue where to go from here. Any pointers? Thank you.

grizz13

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Wow 10 days??? Gee I got my Honorable Discharge May 2012 after signing my TDRL findings from Ft. Lewis, which fell below to 30%. I have heard nothing since then, no severance nothing and im going on almost 6 months. Now im wondering if its taking so long because my injuries occurred in combat and it's tax free and they got to further review the numbers.... I have no clue whats going on right now, I called DFAS and they mentioned that the Army is reviewing... I have no clue where to go from here. Any pointers? Thank you.
If your close to JBLM, go to the finance office over by Steilacoom-Dupont Gate to see what DFAS needs, they may have not gotten your orders and required paperwork.

jhopkins76

Registered Member
We have called and sent in a copy of the orders not once but twice and my husband still has not gotten his. He calls once a week and finally he went to the Fort Knox DFAS and had them look into it with no results. We called the DAV and they told us to go back and talk to our peblo and so he did and she referred us to the PEB board so I called them and they told us to call DFAS. At which time my husband threw the phone acrossed the room. I called the ombudsman and he gave me a number and well it led to a voicemail and I have not heard anything back from that voicemail. He has done 2 phone logs with DFAS and so far nobody has touched his file since Sept 18th. His final appeal board was August 2nd and DFAS got his paperwork on August 15th. He has got to the point when he gets to a live person he just tells them they can talk to me so he does not lose his temper with them.

grizz13

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
wow, one big huge run around... Well in this case, you gotta be the squeaky wheel! There is no reason why they should be taking this long to get him his pay!!!

jhopkins76

Registered Member
Good luck we have been fighting for my husband's since August. We have sent in the orders from the medical board twice and never gotten any where. We have called the DAV and as you have read its been a run around our advice we got next was to go the our congressman or senator. If that does not work we were told to contact the news about wait times for severance. My husband's paperwork has been sitting on someone's desk since Sept.

JAlmond

Registered Member
If your close to JBLM, go to the finance office over by Steilacoom-Dupont Gate to see what DFAS needs, they may have not gotten your orders and required paperwork.
Thank you for your response. I actually Med boarded out of Ft. Carson but my paperwork was sent to Ft. Lewis. I guess that is where the MEB headquarters is at??.... I called DFAS and they mentioned that my Severance was being reviewed to make sure the calculations were correct, then waiting on the orders from the Army. I guess im going to call my Peblo and see whats going on. Likewise, is this a normal case or is this taking too long? Thank you, Joshua

grizz13

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you for your response. I actually Med boarded out of Ft. Carson but my paperwork was sent to Ft. Lewis. I guess that is where the MEB headquarters is at??.... I called DFAS and they mentioned that my Severance was being reviewed to make sure the calculations were correct, then waiting on the orders from the Army. I guess im going to call my Peblo and see whats going on. Likewise, is this a normal case or is this taking too long? Thank you, Joshua
The timeline is entirely too long, you should have gotten it months ago.

jhopkins76

Registered Member
Well after finally getting some attention using DFAS's own facebook page they are all of a sudden all over my husband's case. It only took them 90 plus days to even look at his case. It went from not being touched at all and in 48 hours into the review process and so that way they could get the money to him. They have facebooked him and emailed him several times a week letting him know the status of his case. He has his several peoples' emails so he does not even have to call customer service anymore. My hubby is hoping that he will see the money soon.

grizz13

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Well after finally getting some attention using DFAS's own facebook page they are all of a sudden all over my husband's case. It only took them 90 plus days to even look at his case. It went from not being touched at all and in 48 hours into the review process and so that way they could get the money to him. They have facebooked him and emailed him several times a week letting him know the status of his case. He has his several peoples' emails so he does not even have to call customer service anymore. My hubby is hoping that he will see the money soon.
That is great news!!! Through out this whole process we have to be our own advocates... Screaming and yelling may work or may not, but it's amazing that someone actually paid attention to the DFAS Facebook!:confused:

SMFC

PEB Forum Regular Member
I just got med sep on october 29th. Or I guess my last official day was the 28th, anyways I had my severance pay November 1st.

I seperated out of Travis AFB and finance told me they had 10 days, and that they wait to recieve the calculated total from DFAS and then a finance technician has to calculate and verify the info and then put in a manual payment and this is what the 10 days is for. So really I only waited a couple days and I guess I am very lucky. During my financial final out, I asked the tech to estimate how much my severance would be although I knew exactly because I did the math myself a hundred times. Of course his estimate was wrong because he would only do the math using the formula for regular seperation pay and not disability severance pay. Most importantly during the appointment I got his full name, email, and direct desk phone number. I emailed him a few times while on permissive leave to let him know I was still on top of the shit, reminded them their calculations were incorrect.

When I emailed them I also CCd my 1st shirt since I was still technically AD. Maybe I got paid quickly because of my actions, maybe it was good timing during the month or maybe some other magic happened. I know there is alot of differences with how each service handles these payments but anything over 10 days is a problem. I do not know what the reg states as far as how long they have to pay you but if it has been too long There is nothing wrong with trying to talk with your old 1st shirt or commander to help you out, for the ones that care they will still help you out if they can.

jhopkins76

Registered Member
We got called today and they told us that his money would be on our account on Wednesday. I never thought that I would have to go to some of the lengths that I went through but I will fight when he gets frustrated and wants to give up.

grizz13

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My PEBLO told me that my severance will be on my last LES? Is this wrong? According to the above posts, nobody got it in their last LES :-/
It's partially true, you will be issued a LES when you get paid not your last actual LES from when you get your final pay. It will be on mypay under the AD LES info, not the retirement side.

I hope that makes sense... LOL!

JAlmond

Registered Member
Im glad all is working out for everyone else here! Thats good especially before he holidays! wow! FB page huh?! I would have never thought that would have helped!... Its a new year but still same crap from DFAS for me, I was told my pay was going to be released Nov 12' however the Army wanted to kick me down a lesser amount that I was entitled to lol sounds like the Army, well DFAS kicked it back an put my pay calculations in a "fix it program" and I was told my pay will hit my account by Jan 1st. Well it's the 6th and nothing... O man if this couldn't change my views of the Army by now I don't know what could. Happy New Year all!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">