Should I start making medical appointments?

Tempest

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My MEB for a mental illness just started and I was wondering how it all works. There are multiple injuries/issues that I haven't gone to the doctor for during my military career. Do I wait for them to give me a physical to bring all of this up or do I start making appointments with my PCM now? Also, I know you can only see PCMs for 1 to 2 issues at a time so would it look bad to constantly go to my PCM all of a sudden? I don't want to get in trouble, make people think that i'm malingering or faking these issues because I waited until my MEB to start getting help. I am already embarrassed.

Some of my issues include constant burning/stomach pain & food coming back up my throat. I am extremely tired all of the time and I don't know what to do about it. I wake up in the middle of the night trying to breathe. My knees hurt a lot. My thyroid condition isn't under control and that's not why I'm getting MEBd. I get debilitating migraines every couple of weeks. I am usually short of breath & dizzy with little physical activity.

As you can see, this is a lot and I'd have to make a ton of appointments and get several referrals. I don't know if my provider will take me seriously or blow me off. What do I do? What did you do when you were in this situation?

It is not so much about medical documentation as about taking care of yourself. Jut do it!

They will most likely only find you unfit and rated for the mental condition from the DOD side. As you go through IDES you will need to make sure your VA claims is accurate with all the problems you list above they will send you to get tests done and maybe a few c&p exams. I still tried to get a retirement physical and the denied my request...figures it kinda doesn't matter just make sure you let your PEBLO and the VA rep know all the conditions you want to claim and you will be compensated from the VA end.

Oddpedestrian, if they are not listed in his medical record, the MSC will not refer those conditions out to C&P.

Tempest, you must get them documented in the diagnoses category of your record or the VA will not recognize them- now or after discharge.

If you "suck it up" and don't get seen, you are more than likely throwing a lot of compensation out of the window.

Thank you for the replies! I will definitely get them documented before I get out. I started this morning and I got a diagnosis of GERD with medication to help the pain. I agree that I should be going to the doc to take care of myself rather than just get stuff documented. I have a couple more issues to go and I should be taken care of.