Shoulder MEB Range of Motion

ce28

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am getting an MEB for my left shoulder which I have had two surgeries on. The exact diagnosis on my 3947 is Acromioclavicular Arthritis, Left Shoulder (diagnosed by the QTC/VA Medical DBQ Examiner as Acromioclavicular Osteoarthritis and Multiple Surgical Procedures including Left Distal Clavicle Excision. I am right handed. I just received my NARSUM and talked with a lawyer about estimated percentages. He is saying because due to my range of motion being just at 90 "with pain," I am looking at 20% for the failing condition, which means severance pay. in the C&P paperwork it states pain this, pain that. Is the lawyer right to assume I will only receive 20 for the shoulder, even with two surgeries that have not fixed the problem and arthritis? Thank you.

Ask for a VARR.

To my understanding, it doesn't matter if you have 10 surgeries that will not change your percentage. It is still only one body part at the end of the day and you cannot receive (or should not receive) more than 20% for one body part. Most times you only get around 10% per limb. I am going through the same thing, same symptoms, and they told me to look for max 20%

I have had 2 shoulder surgeries myself and my ROM is only at 60 degrees flexion and 50 degrees abduction. Both external and internal ROM's are zero because I cannot perform them. I also have been just assuming that I will get 20 percent based solely off of the VASRD due to the ROM measurements. I'm not counting on the VA to be generous and give me an extra 10 percent. I speak with my attorney here in like 15 minutes to go over everything and if he states something different then I will update this thread.

Okay so I just got off the phone with my attorney and he confirmed the 20% based on the evidence and gave me some info on receiving a severance since that is my only referred condition.

did you only claim your shoulder or did you have other claims? I'm right around in the same boat, the extent of my injury is a little more severe but I'm curious

did you only claim your shoulder or did you have other claims? I'm right around in the same boat, the extent of my injury is a little more severe but I'm curious
Sorry for the late response. That was originally my only referred condition and yes it was rated at 20%. After my IPEB I filed an appeal and submitted an IR to have my ankle added as a failing condition to bump it up to 30%. I had a civilian podiatrist do an exam and my old squad leader from Afghanistan wrote up a Memo stating how and when it happened. Both of these were sufficient and they put me on PDRL. Just waiting on orders now.

Sorry for the late response. That was originally my only referred condition and yes it was rated at 20%. After my IPEB I filed an appeal and submitted an IR to have my ankle added as a failing condition to bump it up to 30%. I had a civilian podiatrist do an exam and my old squad leader from Afghanistan wrote up a Memo stating how and when it happened. Both of these were sufficient and they put me on PDRL. Just waiting on orders now.
If it's your dominant arm you could potentially be looking at 30%. At least, that's what my lawyer told me.