Shoulder surgery warranting a MEB?

adnavy84

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi everyone,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Here's the situation. I joined the navy with waivers for both prior dislocations in my left shoulder and left wrist. The shoulder continued to pop out 2 years into my service. In May17 I underwent surgery and they repaired my labrum with 5 anchors and did a (remplissage)capsular shift with my rotator cuff. I'm only a month post-op with LIMDU and physical therapy for the next 6 scheduled. The doctor has already told me that there is going to be permanent loss of range and the pain persists daily. My question is, if the shoulder progresses with poor range of motion and a constant pain as is, is my military career in jeopardy or is a MEB unlikely?

The condition existed prior to service so that complicates things a little bit. How long have you been in the Navy?

I've been in for 2 and a half years now. I received a waiver for dislocations in both my left wrist and shoulder.

I've been in for 2 and a half years now. I received a waiver for dislocations in both my left wrist and shoulder.

Good news is if you had the waiver for it, then you disclosed it, they documented it and said you were fit to serve.

I can tell you that I've had 2 shoulder surgeries. The VA gave me 20% for my arm since I have a painful range of motion, but the DoD says I can do my job fine.

It will all boil down to how much interference it has with your job.

I am an E-4 engineer stationed on a ship. What worries me is that prior to joining, the Navy doctors said that my shoulder was fine. fast forward 2 years later and it needed surgery. Who's to say that another 2 years won't cause the same issue and it'll require another surgery (blowing out my shoulder is my biggest worry). As it is right now, I don't see my shoulder being able to handle to weight, torque, and flexibility requirements needed for my job. How soon through the process will the doctor start looking at your ability to continue to do your job? Only until the months of LIMDU are over?