Sleep apnea and Coccidioidomycosis (Valley Fever) rated together?!

sullyman30

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I ahve obstructive sleep apnea and coccidioidomycosis. Why would they rate them together? I feel almost my other ratingside were pretty close to fair but this baffles me.

Coccidioidomycosis is rated by analogy, ie what your symptoms most closely resembles. There is a VA case law on coccidioidomycosis. Did you receive a PFT - pulmonary function test or any disability for a respiratory disease? OSA does seem odd.

Coccidioidomycosis is rated by analogy, ie what your symptoms most closely resembles. There is a VA case law on coccidioidomycosis. Did you receive a PFT - pulmonary function test or any disability for a respiratory disease? OSA does seem odd.
No rating on respiratory disease although I did have a PFT.

Was the PFT normal?

I do not know. I haven't received any information on it. I will have to try and track it down. From 38 CFR I don't see where the PFT is a factor in rating this. Based on the rating schedule I should fall in the 30% but I received a noncompensable rating:

Mycotic Lung Disease
6834 Histoplasmosis of lung.
6835 Coccidioidomycosis.
6836 Blastomycosis.
6837 Cryptococcosis.
6838 Aspergillosis.
6839 Mucormycosis.
General Rating Formula for Mycotic Lung Disease (diagnostic codes 6834 through 6839):
Chronic pulmonary mycosis with persistent fever, weight loss, night sweats, or massive hemoptysis 100
Chronic pulmonary mycosis requiring suppressive therapy with no more than minimal symptoms such as occasional minor hemoptysis or productive cough 50
Chronic pulmonary mycosis with minimal symptoms such as occasional minor hemoptysis or productive cough 30
Healed and inactive mycotic lesions, asymptomatic 0
Note: Coccidioidomycosis has an incubation period up to 21 days, and the disseminated phase is ordinarily manifest within six months of the primary phase. However, there are instances of dissemination delayed up to many years after the initial infection which may have been unrecognized. Accordingly, when service connection is under consideration in the absence of record or other evidence of the disease in service, service in southwestern United States where the disease is endemic and absence of prolonged residence in this locality before or after service will be the deciding factor.

Since they are both respiratory, they may be claiming pyramiding, but I am not sure that should apply.