Soldier Misconduct or Systemic Misconduct?

tony292

PEB Forum Veteran
Saw this over the weekend, the Army is kicking out a Chaplain with 17 years for misconduct who has dementia:

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2015/10/25/chaplain-diagnosed-dementia-booted-army/73046830/

I think we are right back in the "zero defect' Army, where each of us walks around with a target on our backs. I personally had to testify on a board that met a few weeks ago to decide if they would kick out one of my former recriuters, for having lunch with a young lady in a public place. USAREC was trying to kick him out for vioolating the "buddy policy". Luckily for this E7, he was allowed to stay in but he will not get promoted due to a Gomar in his file over the incident.

Bottom line, zero defect sucks. People with extremely shady stuff going on were allowed to reenlist over and over and got promoted like crazy during the peak years of the wars. now they are ready to kick someone out at the drop of a hat.

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
@tony292

What you describe sounds like an arbitrary use of non-judicial punishment. NJP has been under attack in Congress particularly in the arena of sexual misconduct. Perhaps it is time to end NJP. The service appears to be using NJP in an arbitrary and capricious manner to effect force shaping.

gsfowler

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
@tony292
I wonder who was aware that the soldier/chaplain suffered from dementia?
There appears to be several elements of the story that are unclear or missing. For at least five years, the chaplain was seeking treatment for the conditions that were related to early onset of Alzheimers. He had two brain scans completed, several neurological tests as well as he was taking prescription medication which is only typically prescribed for Alzheimers.

Additionally the story reports that his wife wrote a letter requesting that her husband be allowed to continue his service at the show of cause board, without divulging the diagnosis of an unfitting condition, at the request of her husband, in order for him to potentially be allowed to continue service until retirement.

I'm a little bit torn on this one, the social worker in me wants to believe that the condition of early onset alzheimers contributed to the chaplain's poor judgment decisions, however there is also quite a bit of pre-meditative deception that has taken place, in order to preserve a military retirement.

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
@gsfowler,

During my last 14 months of AD, my cardiac output was so low, I frequently could not remember the names of my subordinates. I use roster's, preplanned notes by name.... to fake my way through life. The goals was not retirement (I was past 20), but survival until the PEB made its decision and retirement orders were cut. I have some sympathy for the challenges dementia would bring, but also understand why you are torn. Is it premeditated or a desperate attempt to cope with impaired coping mechanisms?

It appears the board did not hear all the facts. Again the member has some culpability for the withholding of information. But the internal terror of realizing you are no longer who you were and impaired reasoning are mitigating factors.

tony292

PEB Forum Veteran
I think this chaplain made a series of mistakes, probably at least partially due to his condition. He believed if he just stuck it out, he could reach 20. Ironically, I initially tried to tough it out, but just like the chaplain, I made it to 17 and not 20. This guy should have pursued a MEB, he would be much better off than separation at 17.

gsfowler

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Fortunately the chaplain had an amazing attorney that was able to get him to a MEB/PEB.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">