Ssdi HELP

Peter.parker.gonzalez

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Greetings everyone I have two more months before i am completely separated from the Army i have 50 percent dod and 70 percent from the va. My messed up back is the major reason that i am getting the boot. I wanted to apply for ssdi while still in before i am fully separated. I have all my medical documents because i requested a copy of them the moment this process started, because i knew it was a good idea to have a copy of your medical records. I have a few questions i was wondering if someone can please help me with

1) is it better to go to the social sercurity office in person and just get help there, about filling out the correct form?

2) is there someone around base that could help me in filling out the ssdi form?

I just want to make sure that i am able to fill out the required forms correctly because i have read a few post about people being denied for not having everything filled out correctly

Any help i can get on this i would greatly appreciate, and is there anything else that i am suppose to know before hand that might help this process go smoothly thank you!

Are you in the Wounded Warrior program? If so, that can help prioritize your application with SSDI. I applied before my MEB got started and was actually approved before the MEB was over. I applied online and did all the forms myself. I know of some people who go in and do it in person just to feel better about it. In my case, the wait time for an appointment was forever and I wanted to get the process started. A few bases have social security reps that come into an office on the base one to two times per week. Check with your family readiness folks and they should be able to tell you. If you go the online route, and probably the in person route, you can expect to start getting other things in the mail to fill out to make your case and then medical appointments to verify. Its a pain at some points and seems to drag out like the rest of the other processes but if you get approved its worth it. Just realize the first application approval rate is about 50% in a lot of states, so don't get discouraged if you have to appeal. I went in expecting to be disapproved the first time and then was pleasantly surprised when they approved me.

Do it on line that way you can go through it at your own pace. You have time to give good answers and you know exactly what you said is on the form. Just my thoughts. I actually did mine in person and was approved in 4 months but it seemed like the lady was haphazard in filling out the info.
I was 100%p&t. 53 years old and wounded warrior.

I too like the online application.

You can answer what you know. then look up what you don;t know or can;t remember; then go back and add info to your claim.

Be sure in the remarks you indicate you are a "wounded warrior" You do not have to be in a wounded warrior battalion to be considered a wounded warrior.

Best wishes
Mike

Thank you everyone I just finished the first step of the Ssdi. I decided to do it online because the next available appointment at the ssc office was two weeks from now and seeing as i get out in about two months i decided to simply do it online. I’m expecting for it to get denied tho, and already made up my mind to get an attorney afterwards. From what i have read that seems to be how things work for this process unfortunately

You might be surprised if you have all your ducks in a row. I applied online and filled out all the subsequent paperwork myself and was approved first go. The biggest think is to make sure you tell your story the write way with the words they allow and make sure your medical records do the same. Send them everything! I even moved after starting my application in one state and had to have it transferred to the SSA in the new state.

Just take your time when you get your functionally paperwork. Be concise an thorough with your answers. I did my own no laser fees to pay I was approved in 4 months.

Thanks guys when you say “make sure to tell your story” where exactly am i supposed to do that? Because the form online was mostly asking me about my medical records, the doctors I’ve had, the dates and numbers and etc mostly they were gathering information from me. That was the initial step, what step do i tell my story exactly?

you will get a couple or more SSA-3380s (functional paperwork) in the mail in a few weeks. You will have to fill one out and some other adults you know will have to fill one out to tell how your illness, injuries, and conditions affect your daily life and ability to do things. Make sure your and their description are very detailed and conveys the same message. Make sure you and the other folks get those done on time too, I had response deadlines but I don't know if that has changed since then. If I remember right, I think you can call and get extensions to those timelines. You may also get some other forms about pain and daily activities. Make sure your really describe everything in detail there. I used about six to ten extra pages of paper for each of those forms to describe everything that was wrong with me to build my case.

you will get a couple or more SSA-3380s (functional paperwork) in the mail in a few weeks. You will have to fill one out and some other adults you know will have to fill one out to tell how your illness, injuries, and conditions affect your daily life and ability to do things. Make sure your and their description are very detailed and conveys the same message. Make sure you and the other folks get those done on time too, I had response deadlines but I don't know if that has changed since then. If I remember right, I think you can call and get extensions to those timelines. You may also get some other forms about pain and daily activities. Make sure your really describe everything in detail there. I used about six to ten extra pages of paper for each of those forms to describe everything that was wrong with me to build my case.
Thank you very much!

I never got these additional forms, but the SS website shows I was denied a few days ago. Could I have not received the forms because I moved to another state? I officially changed my address a while back, and I've been getting all of my other mail.

Very possible you didn't get them because you moved after you started your claim. Did your 3rd party contact (the person you listed your application as someone who knows about your conditions) not get forms either? Did you have a consultative exam before you moved? Are you a wounded warrior and did you let them know? I would call the regional office for the state you filed your claim in and ask as well as your new state. I moved after my paperwork had gone back to the state I started my claim in. It was tough trying to get anyone to answer the phone, especially once it hit the claim development people. My understanding is that the claims examiner folks need your med records and the functional assessment paperwork to determine if your residual functional capacity (what you are able to do in spite of your disabling condition or conditions). Your residual functional capacity along with your education, age, and job skills are used to make a decision as to whether you can perform any of your past work, or do any other work in the general economy. If the disability examiner determines that you meet or equal a Social Security impairment listing (aka the blue book where the social security disability list of impairments is shown, involve body systems and address numerous, though not all, conditions) then your claim will continue.

Last edited:
Did your 3rd party contact (the person you listed your application as someone who knows about your conditions) not get forms either?
No.

Did you have a consultative exam before you moved?
I had several exams to include C&P exams as part of the IDES process.

Are you a wounded warrior and did you let them know?
Yes and yes.

I'll contact the SSA (or) regional office to see if there was an issue transmitting the detailed letter that is supposed to state why I was denied. Thank you for your experience and advice. I'll try to post the outcome.

Does your rating through the Service/VA hold much bearing on whether you are approved?

EDIT: Should specify that I was rated 100% each... but it was nickled and dimed. 1 x 50%, 2 x 20%. 18 x 10%, 9x 10% (Bilateral)

Does your rating through the Service/VA hold much bearing on whether you are approved?

EDIT: Should specify that I was rated 100% each... but it was nickled and dimed. 1 x 50%, 2 x 20%. 18 x 10%, 9x 10% (Bilateral)

The SSA must consider whatever evidence you provide. (This has legal significance beyond the plain meaning of the words I stated). All evidence must be considered and the decision must be supported by reference to the evidence provided.

SS Regs require that VA C and P ratings, and military disability MEB/PEB decisions are not mandatory but are given weight. In my years of doing this kind of law, the step-around for just about all SS ALJs is just to say something like, "I considered VA/military ratings decision but give them little [or great/or partial] weight."

A more important thing is to make sure that your Testimony before an ALJ during a hearing has consistency/credibility with your entire medical record, whether that is in the VA, military, and any civilian providers you have used or are using. Put it this way: A veteran/servicemember who says that he or she has substantial LBP and radiculopathy in both lower legs (in their testimony and in their SS/SSDI filings with a field office) but their medical evidence does not support that, is not going to be very credible in the eyes of the SS process.

I applied and received an approval well before my MEB even got started; so, I would say your rating has no bearing on the outcome but could help bolster your evidence as SSDLAWYER and Jason Perry state in their replies. In my case I was approved for SSDI and even had a continuing disability review prior to the completion of my first MEB. Ironically the SSA found me disabled while the MEB said I was FIT. Try that one on for size... really makes you wonder about the board process.

I finally received the denial letter, and it stated I was denied for work activity and my income/earnings. I appealed it and reiterated that I have been on the military payroll during the IDES process, but have not actively worked since early 2016. I also restated that all income/earnings will cease in 9 days. I hope the new reviewer of my case approves it. Now that I think about it, I think I really should have included the MEB letter of my Commander stating that haven't been able to work for over a year.

Yeah, I would have put that in there for sure! I would also say somthing about your military earning not being considered an SGA since you were in the process of a MEB.

Today i sat down with a ssc clerk who helped me finish my ssdi claim although in the end she said because i am still currently active and the military is still currently paying me even though i am separating through the MEB and Taking terminal leave in two weeks she still said to expect it to be denied and then afterwards you have up to 60 days if you want to appeal it. Seeing the high percentage of people getting denied at first i am already braced to hear the bad news and then afterwards I’ll do what everyone else has done and just appeal it with a lawyer

apparently those who appeal with a good ssdi lawyer end up getting approved the second time around from what i am seeing.. do you guys think i should also take this approach as well. Just curious has anyone still got denied even with a lawyer? I have also read on here that usually the only way a lawyer would get paid is if you win the case, and they would only take your case if you have enough evidence that it should prove favorable for you in the end