Sudden Cardiac Arrest and AICD, MEB sent today

IronCity

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello everyone! I'm new to the site and this site is amazing with all the knowledge. First off I'm glad that those of you that had your SCR survived, less than 10% of people recover from this and we were the lucky ones.
First off I'm an E-7 in the Air Guard age 37 with 20 years in service this July. I had my SCR on 6 Sept 12 after passing my PT test and ended up getting an AICD installed in my chest on 17 Sept 12 and was told I will have it for the rest of my life. The Dr's still can't really narrow down what caused this to me, very disappointing. Finally my base will be sending out my MEB paperwork to Wright Patterson AFB. From what I hear it could take awhile for the results. I contacted my regional VA rep and he said to start my VA disability paperwork as soon as I could, because it takes awhile. I sent that paperwork out about 1 1/2 months ago. From what I was reading it looks like i "should" get 100% disability, fingers are crossed. In the meantime I'm working my fulltime technician job with no restrictions. According to AFI 48-123 it states that I cannot deploy with an AICD and I'm in a deployable position. SO not sure what’s going to happen. I'm not sure if a waiver could really be granted for this situation or not. Also since I'm a fulltime technician and I'm waiting for my MEB results are there some sort of regulations or not for the individual to be placed on Title 10 orders? Over all I feel pretty good, but I do take medication for depression and I do get very tired a lot. Thanks to everyone for the guidance! I will be sure to keep you all posted of my status. It's hard to get information on your own when the folks at my base have no clue of what’s going on! LOL...

So for your Technician job does it require you to deploy, or is a deployment the point at which you put your service uniform on and do military duties? What I am getting at is you can still do your stateside technician job, but not deploy.

This subject is really not in my area of expertise and I am going to defer and hope the other guard and reserve guys on the site can give you some advice. Again, welcome to the site and thank you for making this thread.

I'm sorry I didn't explain about my technician job, it's the same as my Military position and yes it's a deployable position too. The technician disibility "should" pay me 60% for the first year and then drop to 40% until the age of 62 and then it will get computed once again for the years that I would have been working.

Thanks again! Chris

Hi Iron,
I also had SCD and have ICD implant I am 25 years old, I had my heart stop in my sleep 4 months after my ETS, my claim is currently at Preparation for notification (not sure how long I am to wait for claim to finish its been a while) But I am also kinda expecting / from what I am reading is a definite 100% Rating. I will let you know how mine turns out

Please do thedonwesley. Wow 25, everyone here thought I was young at the age of 37 to have what we had. Good luck to you and hang in there!

Hey Iron quick question, where did you find out you should be getting 100%, I read it in the CFR, but I find it hard to believe getting 100%... that is quite a bit of money / back pay ect... But after going through what I did I possibly deserve it but I always sell myself short so it is hard to figure. Everyone tells me it's 100% whats your thoughts on it?

Welcome Chris,

I am sorry to hear about what happened to you, but thankfully you made it through and are still alive. Getting an AICD is a huge step in preventing you from having a fatal heart issue down the road. I hope they will be able to get to the bottom of what caused the SCA to you. This board is amazing and it will help you out so much. What's your AFSC/Job in the Air Guard? As this will matter when they make a determination as to if you are fit/unfit, which is the first step to cross then it's up for ratings. I concur with your comment that you should be getting a 100% due to having an AICD, which is listed in the VASRD section DC 7011, but you never know what Uncle Sam's going to do, I would just be fighting for this rating if I were you. Just to give you a little back ground I had to have an AICD implanted while I was on Title 10 this past summer and I'm currently going through an MEB, my packet has been at AFPC since 9/28/12. Keep us posted, and make sure you get copies of everything, then make extra copies of those. Welcome again, and Thank You for your service.

thedonwesley,

38 CFR 4.104 - Schedule of ratings - Cardiovascular System

comma or comma "with an automatic implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator (AICD) in place". It looks black and white to me, just hope the VA see it that way too. Let the wait begin!

7011Ventricular arrhythmias (sustained):
For indefinite period from date of hospital admission for initial evaluation and medical therapy for a sustained ventricular arrhythmia, or; for indefinite period from date of hospital admission for ventricular aneurysmectomy, or; with an automatic implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator (AICD) in place 100

Hello Tim B,
I'm sorry to hear what happened to you too and glad you pulled out of it too. I guess you never know when your time will be up, so be thankful for what you have each day. My AFSC is a 2A571 Aircraft Maintenance (Quality Assurance Section) so we do deploy and I'm in a deployable spot. Yes I have a whole folder of my paperwork. I even have the printout of when the AED was hooked up to me and when I was shocked back to life. Please keep me posted on how things are going for you during this process and I'll do the same with my progress. Are you in the Guard too? Are you fulltime or a traditional and are you on any orders now as your waiting for your MEB to come back. My cardio Dr. release me back to work the end of Oct 12 with no restrictions beside staying away from arch welders, no heavy bench presses and no contact sports. Here at my base they still have me on P4 status and will be on this status until we get word back from the MEB. Thank you for your service and keep in touch.

Hi IronCity,

You are very lucky to be alive, I did not reach that point came pretty close but luckily did not loose consciousness. How are you cleared by your unit to work without a profile or on full duty status when you have an AICD? I was placed on a code 37 immediatley once I got my AICD and also restricted to only the height & weight for my PT. I am a traditional guardsmen but I was deployed April 2, 2012 on Title 10 and then on April 9th is when I had the bad reaction to the smallpox. So, I have been very lucky with a very supportive unit and been on Title 10 Orders this whole time and they tell me that they want me on orders until my MEB is resolved. Wow, your story is crazy and I'm very happy you pulled through this, and at the same time get the protection from the AICD. Have a good weekend and keep in touch!

Hey Tim,
Yeah it was pretty crazy what I went through and I don't wish this on anyone. I got to say in a nice way that my base is very unique. Its a shame we have to go to forum sights to get answers that our base's should be providing to us. I was on Medcon orders until I was cleared from my Cardio and EP Dr. to return to work. I was pulled off Medcon orders because my base told me that I didn't have enough follow on appointments to justify keeping me on orders. They also said after my MEB results come back I might be able to go back on Medcon orders. As for Incap pay the Medical Squadron was all for it for me, but it was stopped by a certain Chief on our base that said NO this does not apply to you. According to the ANGI reg the way I read it Incap does apply to me, anyway no big deal I'm getting my bills paid. I just find it funny that my Cardio Dr and EP Dr clear me to return to duty, but our base still has me on P4 status, but they still want me to preform my job as I have always done. I'm glad to hear your unit is taking care of you, that great! What is code 37? Maybe my unit needs to read up on this. Well take in easy Tim and hope you have a good weekend too. I'm stuck here on my Drill weekend! Blah! Hahaha... Talk to you later.

OK my claim is complete... just got completed today 2Mar13 at appx 0800... the claim says complete but my percentage on my AB8 is still at 20% for my back, does this mean they denied my claim? Or does it take more time to update the AB8? -neerrvveewreeckking!!!-

Well I hope for your case that it didn't get updated yet. I was reading a few posts about the "Ebenefits" site and from what other people were saying, it's not to reliable. Hang in there and think positive!

I'm not sure, maybe try calling your VA office, maybe that can shed some light on it for you.

you can try calling 800-827-1000. Also you can assign a power of attorney to a local DAV office who will then be able to go into the system to see what's going on. I recently did the POA with my local DAV office and they are a little better at providing further info then the VA. Please keep your head up and I know how frustrating this process is it's enough to make you go crazy and I personally can't wait to be done with it although it looks like my road is a longer one. I hope you are able to find the answers you are looking for, and keep on putting one foot in front of another you will get there.

Ok, so my letter was mailed out of Buffalo, NY on the 5th. Should be here by tomorrow or the next day. Got quick overview ideas to question. Now they wouldn't go through the trouble of sending me to the evaluation doctor to have my limitations documented and to show how it has effected my life. As well as pay my medical bills from when the incident happened. So chances of them saying it's not service connected wouldn't be an option i wouldn't think. What are your thoughts on this.

So, are they requiring you to see another doctor to be evaluated on how this has impacted your life? If they are in fact doing this, then it must be a good thing? What did they say to you on the phone?

No they had already sent me to the evaluation doctor, and on the phone they told me the letter got mailed out and they are not allowed to tell me if it was good or bad.... I am scared to find out lol it feels like gambling and makes me crazy....