Sudden Cardiac Arrest / ICD

lokai schmit

PEB Forum Regular Member
I had a Sudden Cardiac Arrest that was found to be caused by aggravating a EPTS condition. I have an AICD and expect to be retired. I`m at the beginning of my MEB. What kind of disability rating could I expect.

lokai schmit

PEB Forum Regular Member
I have no other physical limitations. No sustained Arythmia, no structural changes no limitations as measured by METS. The AFI says I can`t stay in with an AICD.
I`ve read the Schedule of Ratings, but It`s not that easy. My civ. Docter can not pin point why this happend, so he can`t predict if it will happen again. That`s the whole reason of the Implant and the Beta Blocker I`m taking. Will I be rated on the condition of my heart or on the presence of my AICD.

rringle

PEB Forum Regular Member
I would also like an answer to something like this. I suffered from sudden cardia arrest in May, and also received an AICD placement. The doctors do not know what caused the arrest. I have been told by the navy I will be facing a medical discharge becasue of the AICD placement. So there are no underlying causes for the heart condition, but with the AICD will I be facing medical retirement? also what kind of percentage will I most likely be looking at? I am currently an E-5 with less than 4 years of service. Thanks to anyone who can help.

rringle

PEB Forum Regular Member
Is there any more information on this? I am in the process of having my Medical board submitted soon, and was still wondering what my rating will be.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Here is the rating criteria:

7018 Implantable cardiac pacemakers:

For two months following hospital admission for implantation or
reimplantation 100

Thereafter:

Evaluate as supraventricular arrhythmias (DC 7010), ventricular
arrhythmias (DC 7011), or atrioventricular block (DC 7015).
Minimum 10

Note: Evaluate implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (AICD’s) under DC 7011.

7011 Ventricular arrhythmias (sustained):

For indefinite period from date of hospital admission for initial evaluation
and medical therapy for a sustained ventricular arrhythmia, or; for
indefinite period from date of hospital admission for ventricular
aneurysmectomy, or; with an automatic implantable Cardioverter-
Defibrillator (AICD) in place 100%

herlobster

Registered Member
I'm needing alot of information if any one has some experience with this my PEB formal hearing found me fit for duty status post aortic valve replacement with sudden cardiac arrest and icd implantation. I am an LVN active duty without retention and receiving SSDI. First question is that SSDI taxable? I was under the impression "no" because of wounded warrior act. Second question is i have had since implantation of ICD in April 2009 had over 250 episodes of Vtach and non sustained Vtach along with Vfib that did not initiate a shock due to the threshold of device. Why am I still in and fit for duty when i cant deploy, cant PT, cant fire a weapon or carry a fighting load but I am on limited duty for an 8 hr duty day. Is there another chance for yet another med board and if not what are expected projections for VA disability after my ETS? alot of questions i know but would appreciate some answers

rringle

PEB Forum Regular Member
With an ICD, you were found fit for full duty by the fromal PEB? I am still waiting on my paperwork to get back from the VA, and then will be facing a Formal PEB. I am hoping that the formal board finds me Unfit. I have read through these forums and others that this is most likely going to be the case, but with you being found fit for full duty with an ICD, I'm getting kind of worried.

Tim B

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
RRINGLE,

I know it's been a while since your great news but I'm new to this board and wanted to say Congrats!!!! I'm currently going through a similar situation. I'm getting MED boarded soon and was told my case would be fast track with meeting with a PEBLO here at home station then headed directly down to Texas for a the MEB/PEB boards. I'm hoping to get similar results that you got. I went into sustained V-Tach on 09 Apr 2012 while deployed. Medivac to Germany then WRNMMC then home station 25 Apr 2012. Then I had another episode of a 52 event sustained V-Tach 25 May 2012 with being hospitalized for 5 days. I was given a diagnosis by WRNMMC of Myocarditis secondary to small pox. I was then referred for other opinions/testing and was diagnosed by two other leading hospitals to have ARVC and ultimately implanted with an AICD 22 Aug 2012. By getting an AICD I was immediately started in the MEB/PEB which I currently in the very beginning stages. But hearing your news and results does give me hope because with getting this device I might be able to return to my civilian job in law enforcement so I need something from this whole ordeal. Again, Thank you for sharing your experience and results.

Thank you for your service and enjoy your retirement.

Tim
SSgt. ANG

thedonwesley

Registered Member
I have a quick question. I had a heart issue they couldn't figure out what it was in basic training. I finished my entire contract and ETS honorable discharge in Dec 3 2011, in May 2012 I suffered sudden cardiac arrest, I was treated in a va hospital after I got stabilized in a civilian hospital. I ended up getting an ICD implant. I have the va disability claim in motion. I was diagnosed with brugada syndrome, anybody have any idea what rating I will receive?

Tim B

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi thedonwesley,

If it's service connected then with an AICD per VASRD DC 7011 you should get 100% I believe. Double check the VASRD section DC 7011 and you should get the 100% because of having the AICD. How far along in your VA claim are you? When did you file and what steps have you gone through so far? Get copies of all of your service records, medical paperwork for your records and then submit everything you can to the VA for evidence of your claim, especially any of the records or treatments that you had pertaining to the heart issue you had while in service. Keep us posted.

thedonwesley

Registered Member
I am on pending Decision approval, an I they have all medical records I can provide. It happened with in a year of getting out of the army so I am assuming connection to service isn't an issue, I am wondering rating what I am looking at. I filed back in Aug08. What is the VASRD? I google'd and searched couldn't find information...

Tim B

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Text

Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief

CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS

PART 4: SCHEDULE FOR RATING DISABILITIES

Subpart B: Disability Ratings

: The Cardiovascular System

4.104 - Schedule of ratings?cardiovascular system.

Diseases of the Heart

Rating

Note (1): Evaluate cor pulmonale, which is a form of secondary heart disease, as part of the pulmonary condition that causes it.

Note (2): One MET (metabolic equivalent) is the energy cost of standing quietly at rest and represents an oxygen uptake of 3.5 milliliters per kilogram of body weight per minute. When the level of METs at which dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope develops is required for evaluation, and a laboratory determination of METs by exercise testing cannot be done for medical reasons, an estimation by a medical examiner of the level of activity (expressed in METs and supported by specific examples, such as slow stair climbing or shoveling snow) that results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope may be used.

7000Valvular heart disease (including rheumatic heart disease):

During active infection with valvular heart damage and for three months following cessation of therapy for the active infection
Thereafter, with valvular heart disease (documented by findings on physical examination and either echocardiogram, Doppler echocardiogram, or cardiac catheterization) resulting in:

Chronic congestive heart failure, or; workload of 3 METs or less results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of less than 30 percent
More than one episode of acute congestive heart failure in the past year, or; workload of greater than 3 METs but not greater than 5 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of 30 to 50 percent
Workload of greater than 5 METs but not greater than 7 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; evidence of cardiac hypertrophy or dilatation on electro-cardiogram, echocardiogram, or X-ray
Workload of greater than 7 METs but not greater than 10 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; continuous medication required
7001Endocarditis:

For three months following cessation of therapy for active infection with cardiac involvement
Thereafter, with endocarditis (documented by findings on physical examination and either echocardiogram, Doppler echocardiogram, or cardiac catheterization) resulting in:

Chronic congestive heart failure, or; workload of 3 METs or less results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of less than 30 percent
More than one episode of acute congestive heart failure in the past year, or; workload of greater than 3 METs but not greater than 5 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of 30 to 50 percent
Workload of greater than 5 METs but not greater than 7 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; evidence of cardiac hypertrophy or dilatation on electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, or X-ray
Workload of greater than 7 METs but not greater than 10 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; continuous medication required
7002Pericarditis:

For three months following cessation of therapy for active infection with cardiac involvement
Thereafter, with documented pericarditis resulting in:

Chronic congestive heart failure, or; workload of 3 METs or less results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of less than 30 percent.
Workload of greater than 5 METs but not greater than 7 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; evidence of cardiac hypertrophy or dilatation on electro-cardiogram, echocardiogram, or X-ray
7003Pericardial adhesions:

7004Syphilitic heart disease:

Workload of greater than 5 METs but not greater than 7 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; evidence of cardiac hypertrophy or dilatation on electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, or X-ray

Note: Evaluate syphilitic aortic aneurysms under DC 7110 (aortic aneurysm).

7005Arteriosclerotic heart disease (Coronary artery disease):

With documented coronary artery disease resulting in:

Note: If nonservice-connected arteriosclerotic heart disease is superimposed on service-connected valvular or other non-arteriosclerotic heart disease, request a medical opinion as to which condition is causing the current signs and symptoms.

7006Myocardial infarction:

During and for three months following myocardial infarction, documented by laboratory tests
Thereafter:

With history of documented myocardial infarction, resulting in:

7007Hypertensive heart disease:

7008Hyperthyroid heart disease:

Include as part of the overall evaluation for hyperthyroidism under DC 7900. However, when atrial fibrillation is present, hyperthyroidism may be evaluated either under DC 7900 or under DC 7010 (supraventricular arrhythmia), whichever results in a higher evaluation.

7010Supraventricular arrhythmias:

Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation or other supraventricular tachycardia, with more than four episodes per year documented by ECG or Holter monitor
Permanent atrial fibrillation (lone atrial fibrillation), or; one to four episodes per year of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation or other supraventricular tachycardia documented by ECG or Holter monitor
7011Ventricular arrhythmias (sustained):

For indefinite period from date of hospital admission for initial evaluation and medical therapy for a sustained ventricular arrhythmia, or; for indefinite period from date of hospital admission for ventricular aneurysmectomy, or; with an automatic implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator (AICD) in place

Note: A rating of 100 percent shall be assigned from the date of hospital admission for initial evaluation and medical therapy for a sustained ventricular arrhythmia or for ventricular aneurysmectomy. Six months following discharge, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based upon that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of ? 3.105(e) of this chapter.

Tim B

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
There is a link to title 38 on this board, I will try to find it for you and post it. Man, since 08' you've been waiting. I am sorry it's taken this long but you are almost there.

Tim B

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Scroll down to 7011, which is section pertaining to AICD and I copied and pasted it below:

7011 Ventricular arrhythmias (sustained):
For indefinite period from date of hospital admission for initial evaluation and medical therapy for a sustained ventricular arrhythmia, or; for indefinite period from date of hospital admission for ventricular aneurysmectomy, or; with an automatic implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator (AICD) in place 100
Chronic congestive heart failure, or; workload of 3 METs or less results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of less than 30 percent 100
More than one episode of acute congestive heart failure in the past year, or; workload of greater than 3 METs but not greater than 5 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of 30 to 50 percent 60
Workload of greater than 5 METs but not greater than 7 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; evidence of cardiac hypertrophy or dilatation on electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, or X-ray 30
Workload of greater than 7 METs but not greater than 10 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; continuous medication required 10
Note: A rating of 100 percent shall be assigned from the date of hospital admission for initial evaluation and medical therapy for a sustained ventricular arrhythmia or for ventricular aneurysmectomy. Six months following discharge, the appropriate disability rating shall be determined by mandatory VA examination. Any change in evaluation based upon that or any subsequent examination shall be subject to the provisions of § 3.105(e) of this chapter.

thedonwesley

Registered Member
Oh my mistake, wrote that incorrect, apologies. I have had it implanted since May2012, put claim in AUG2012... I have to have the ICD forever, my most recent activity in regards to the claim were an evaluation I seen this lady who documented everything the ICD keeps me from doing. I told her I get dizzy spells, sometimes feel like I am passing out, short of breath quite a few times, can't work out, deformity of the box in my chest (i am skinny) so it sticks out more than most peoples :/, can't use different types of computer / cellular equipment, no contact sports an documented more. A month later the claim moved from preparation to pending. Not sure which direction they will go with it now but assuming it will go through I am wondering what they would rate me at... I appreciate the support. I don't really know what MET I would be put under so it makes it difficult to determine... or if METS even matter since the ICD has got to be there forever. I also had oxygen deprivation when my heart stopped. I was down for for about 25 minutes receiving CPR until the emts shocked me 4 times to get my heart moving again an I wasn't breathing on my own. No brain damage was found but I do have and reported I have a memory problem remembering short term and long term things... Like I said any input I receive I truly thank and appreciate your help, means a lot. Trying to do everything on my own is overwhelming and difficult.

thedonwesley

Registered Member
For indefinite period from date of hospital admission for initial evaluation and medical therapy for a sustained ventricular arrhythmia, or; for indefinite period from date of hospital admission for ventricular aneurysmectomy, or; with an automatic implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator (AICD) in place100

Does that mean if required to have the implant forever that I should get 100%?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">