Taxes on Social Security Disability and VA?

MA2rich

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
During this tax year I received disability while on active duty, separated and began receiving VA disability in addition to SSD. Will I pay taxes on my disability?

During this tax year I received disability while on active duty, separated and began receiving VA disability in addition to SSD. Will I pay taxes on my disability?
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

If you have other sources of income, your Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits will be taxable if your total income (including your SSDI payments) is greater than $25,000 per year if single and/or greater than $32,000 per year if married. Fortunately, though, you won’t have all of your benefits amount taxed. In reference to DoVA disability compensation, it is not subject to federal income taxation. Take care.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

I'm receiving ssdi. believe I will have to pay taxes on 80% of my SDDI if my total income is more than 25,000. Mine is. This my first tax season so I haven't filed taxes yet.

If you have children that are receiving funds as well, their portion is not taxed. At least this is what my lawyer has informed me.

It's taxed up to 80% on a sliding scale.

Hi. In your case, it is better to take professional guidance so that you do not land into any problem. I think a tax attorney will help you in a better way. You can consult a tax lawyer and I am sure that you will find the solution for your problem. If you want, you can check this to find for a lawyer who will help you in the right way.