TDIU probility after 20yrs of SSDI

CaptainJack

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all,
I just found out yesterday that my application for increased disability rating from the VA was approved, back to filing date 3/6/18.
Went from 50% to 80%. I will be appealing to include secondary condition, but the most I can hope for after all is said and done is 90%.
Which brings up TDIU. I have been on SSDI since 1995 and it just rolled over to regular SS when I turned 65 on 3/7/18.
The only work I have been doing is for a non-profit for 20 years now, but had to tender my resignation to this group at the end of February because my
VA disability's have caught up with me. The work I did for them was six months a year at $1000 per month, more a stipend than pay.
My question for anyone who might have dealt with a the TDIU process is will they even consider granting me the IU rating given my work history while on SSDI?
I've got the 21-8940 sitting in front of me and the work history section is the concern.
Thanks for any input,
Jack

Since you earned less than what is considered SGA while you were on SSDI, TDIU is more than probable. If you do not apply for it, the answer is absolutely a no.

i agree with @gsfowler; apply and find out!

Sorry it took me so long to reply, been out of town.
Yes, I'm going to apply and if necessary, appeal a negative outcome.
We are going to miss 6k a year and I will miss the activity and work, but it has
become too difficult both mentally and physically to continue.

"Generally, SSDI recipients can't start doing "substantial gainful activity" (SGA) and continue to receive disability benefits. In a nutshell, doing SGA means you are working and making more than $1,180 per month in 2018 (or $1,970 if you're blind). There are exceptions to this rule, however. "