TDRL & MDD/Bipolar

etrauschs

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all, I have been on TDRL for nearly 3 years now with an unfitting condition of major depressive disorder recurrent currently rated at 30% (50% VA). I just received notification to schedule my second TDRL evaluation although it turns out I'm not due for another 6 months. But even so it has brought a couple concerns to mind.

My primary concern is how does the MEB view conditions that have episodes of recurrence and remission. Depending on individual interpretation I definitely still fall between 30-50% but if my condition improves prior to evaluation will I run the risk of a decreased rating and/or severance. It's not hard for me to believe that the DoD could say that although this episode of depression was aggravated by service it has since ended and is no longer service connected. How can the MEB determine if a condition whose symptoms are not always present has permanently worsened?

My other question is whether it is possible for the unfitting condition to be changed due to the misdiagnosis of a mental condition. 6 months after separating I had an episode of mania resulting in the VA changing my diagnosis to bipolar disorder NOS. Without concrete evidence to prove the bipolar prior to the initial board is there any way the unfitting condition could be changed? The only reason I care is I feel bipolar is generally viewed as a more severe mental condition and may help increase my chances of PDRL.

Any input would be appreciated and if more details would help I have no problem with sharing more.

Scott

Conditions that vary like Bipolar, are evaluated in the big picture (affect) , not the moment (mood). Every mental health professional understands the difference between mood and affect and its importance in making a proper diagnosis and assessment. When the C&P examiner ask you about __________ and you can answered; right now I am ______, but it varies between __________ and ___________. Best wishes. Mike

whether it is possible for the unfitting condition to be changed
Yes. It is not unusual for TDRL. 38 CFR 4.13 suggests this shouldn't be done unless it results in a change in rating possibilities. In your case bipolar and MDD have the exact same rating criteria, so the change is merely cosmetic. So there may be resistance to change the name applied or they may update it to be more accurate, but either way, it shouldn't matter.

how does the MEB view conditions that have episodes of recurrence and remission
Many conditions are defined by having intermittent effects. Epilepsy, migraines, asthma, Meniere's, the list goes on. On top of that, many conditions are expect to have different degrees at different times, or flare ups. What they are trying to rate is how your condition is expected to effect your employment. There's nothing really wrong with telling them how your bad days are and how often your bad days happen, and then what the other days are like. Those are the main factors that an employer would look at in deciding how reliable you are.

Thank you both for your responses. I hadn't really thought about the fact that regardless of what they call the condition you are still being evaluated on the impact of the symptoms so the actually diagnosis isn't as important when the rating criteria are the same.

Maybe I am just too skeptical of DoD evaluators and board members. Although they are all professionals I am always suspicious of how much the bottom dollar might be affecting their decisions.

Thanks again for your input.

Maybe I am just too skeptical of DoD evaluators and board members. Although they are all professionals I am always suspicious of how much the bottom dollar might be affecting their decisions.
This isn't invalid. Just because it is a cosmetic change, doesn't mean it isn't worth something. There is a reason why cosmetics are used. I'd bring it up, you wanna wear your best dress to the ball. I just wouldn't make a big stink about it. Too much effort, especially in cosmetics, can backfire. Just realize what's important. They can call it what they want, as long as they have the symptoms right. Just because you try to look pretty doesn't mean you shouldn't demand to be judged for your inner beauty.

Thank you both for your responses. I hadn't really thought about the fact that regardless of what they call the condition you are still being evaluated on the impact of the symptoms so the actually diagnosis isn't as important when the rating criteria are the same.

Thanks again for your input.

You are welcome.

The ratings come from the VA, not DoD. DoD only determines if a particular condition is retainable or not retainable. If a condition is not retainable then the rating for that conditions must be the percentage assessed by the VA.

I am more skeptical of some services within DoD than others. But they all make mistakes.

Best wishes,
Mike

I dug up my original findings and noticed on under "Additional Findings" they had added "12. Condition may be permanent". Could this be a good sign for PDRL once I am deemed stable or is that just a common note that is added?