TDRL Re-Evalulation Notification

plubminggrit

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello, I was notified through email that I am due for my TDRL re-evaluation for major depressive disorder and I am a bit confused by the paperwork. One of the forms is asking me if I want AFPC to schedule my appointment at the nearest MTF and bring in my VA records or I have the option to see a VA doctor. What are the pros and cons of each? I have stayed on top of my mental health therapy sessions and medication appointments at the VA. So would it be easier to be evaluated by the VA since they have all my mental health records or still print and bring out all my records? Or should I just go to the MTF? Has anyone had this experience? Thanks.

Warrior644

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello, I was notified through email that I am due for my TDRL re-evaluation for major depressive disorder and I am a bit confused by the paperwork. One of the forms is asking me if I want AFPC to schedule my appointment at the nearest MTF and bring in my VA records or I have the option to see a VA doctor. What are the pros and cons of each? I have stayed on top of my mental health therapy sessions and medication appointments at the VA. So would it be easier to be evaluated by the VA since they have all my mental health records or still print and bring out all my records? Or should I just go to the MTF? Has anyone had this experience? Thanks.
From an U.S. Army perspective while placed onto the DoD military TDRL for over four years and having experienced three TDRL re-evaluations for PTSD to date, I would suggest that you choose a medical provider for which you ultimately feel most comfortable. That said, it would seem from your comments above that staying with a DoVA doctor might be most beneficial for you at this point in my opinion.

As such, it's great that the AFPC offers a choice of provider/location for the TDRL medical re-examination whereas the USAPDA doesn't yield any choice of provider/location for the TDRL medical re-examination at least from my experiences.

Albeit, I can truly say that all of my TDRL medical re-examinations for PTSD were performed with the utmost respect by the medical doctors (e.g., two were civilian contractors and one was an Army civilian). To that extent, all of the medical doctors completed their PTSD C&P examination write-ups with favorable findings resulting in an increased DoD disability rating.

But, upon adjudication by the DoD LDES PEB for the first and second TDRL re-evaluations, their TDRL PEB findings were not indicative to my medical symptomology for PTSD so I requested a FPEB hearing. Bottom line is that the USAPDA approved the PEB/FPEB findings to retain me onto TDRL for another extended period of time.

Currently, I am involved with my third TDRL re-evaluation and I have received a recommendation by the DoD LDES IPEB. So, I have an appointment with a MEB attorney to review and discuss the third TDRL Re-evaluation findings on 31 May 2018.

That all said, I hope my feedback helps with your TDRL medical re-examination provider/location decision-making process. Indeed, nonetheless, please remain positively proactive while on TDRL. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">