Terminal Leave and Medical Retirement

HumbleZ

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good morning,

I am currently looking it all up but I am posting this incase it gets answered before I find it on google or on this forum.

I know Terminal leave is a Privilege not a right. (as I heard) but if you are given the opportunity, I was told that you have to file it 45 days before you want to take the leave. Is this the same for people who got a new EAS and that timeline falls within the 45 days?

For example, my new EAS is Jan30 (found out yesterday). I have 61.5 days saved up for leave. I heard medical retirement gives you 30 days ptad. So that means my terminal start date is November 1st (90 days). Maximum.

So 10 days from today. Is that even possible to get approved? Best case scenario.

Hey looks like you got a new EAS? How much terminal and PTAD are you taking, and what day will you actually be out?

69 days of leave, 20 days PTAD.

They calculate the leave you would earn between your EAS and your current date. I have 61.5 days of leave atm saved but from now until EAS, Ill have a total of 69.

My terminal starts November 3rd. But it depends on how long it will take to check out. S-1 taking their sweet time >.> and say they have more important things to do than check me out first.

They calculate the leave you would earn between your EAS and your current date. I have 61.5 days of leave atm saved but from now until EAS, Ill have a total of 69.

My terminal starts November 3rd. But it depends on how long it will take to check out. S-1 taking their sweet time >.> and say they have more important things to do than check me out first.
Thanks for the info! I'm afraid that they would take their sweet time. Keep us posted!

I'm waiting on my new EAS right now. I requested it to be Feb 28th a couple of days ago. So I can use all of my leave and PTAD also. I keep getting mixed word on whether or not you earn leave while on terminal. Do you have a reference for that?

Adam you should be getting your ratings anyday now I would think.

I'm waiting on my new EAS right now. I requested it to be Feb 28th a couple of days ago. So I can use all of my leave and PTAD also. I keep getting mixed word on whether or not you earn leave while on terminal. Do you have a reference for that?
Hey foggy,

So we have the option to elect a date in order to make the most of leave and ptad? Do we kind of get to choose when we want to be out? I will go back to my buddy in outbound and verify the leave. According to many posts, we should be accruing days still since we are still AD, but I will make sure.

Adam you should be getting your ratings anyday now I would think.

One month today since VA finished! It's hard to curb the excitement and anxiety, but yes, should be soon!

Last edited:
If you call mmsr4, they will probably tell you to email them with your reason and requested date. You also have to cc your CO and SgtMaj. Not sure your rank, but make sure you talk to your chain of command before you just go and do that. I requested mine to be greater than 90 days and explained the needs of my children etc. I think their ultimate goal is to get rid of us right now, so you need something decent besides, I don't want to sell my leave.

Keep in mind this MARADMIN 170/14
A. MARINES MAY BE AUTHORIZED UP TO:
1. 20 DAYS PTAD (INCREMENTS MAY BE TAKEN IF IN THE VICINITY OF PERMANENT DUTY STATION (PDS), FOR MARINES SEPARATING FROM A CONUS PDS).

E. OFFICERS AND ENLISTED MARINES WITH AN APPROVED RETIREMENT DATE ARE ELIGIBLE FOR TRANSITION PTAD UNDER THE FOLLOWING PROVISIONS:
1. ACTIVE DUTY RETIREMENT.
2. TEMPORARY DISABILITY RETIRED LIST (TDRL).
3. PERMANENT DISABLITY RETIRED LIST (PDRL).

The PTAD days can be broken up as stated above, but if you want to combine the days with terminal and get your DD-214 ASAP they run concurrently to count all weekends and holidays, Up to you and what works best for you.

My terminal is 89.5 days long, PTAD included. Its already approved by IPAC and I am already checked out. Just have to wait for Thursday.

My terminal is 89.5 days long, PTAD included. Its already approved by IPAC and I am already checked out. Just have to wait for Thursday.
How long did it takes for orders to get sent to you from signing your 199? I signed mine last wednesday and if they come in on time i can check out november 17 which i am hoping.