Timeline - Awaiting PEB (Competency Review Board for being Overweight)

Candice Regan

Registered Member
My husband has been a Marine for 13 years. He was referred to the MEB on Feb 16th 2011.
Here is his timeline (the condensed version)...

2/16/2011.....Put on Limited Duty - Referred to MEB for TBI (also back & knee injuries)
5/12/2011.....Initial meeting w/ MEB case worker - Disability Eval Signed

May to July 2011.....VA Appointments

10/14/2011.....(148 days since Initial meeting w Case Worker) MEB findings & NARSUM Complete

11/4/2011......(169 days) MEB Case worker contacts us - MEB Package & Recommendations Ready to review - did not request "Impartial Medical Review"

11/30/2011.....(195 days) MEB Package sent to PEB

12/2/2011.....EAS - Extended due to pending PEB

2/29/2012.....(286 days) Admin Separation proceedings started - due to being overweight (3/2011, 8/2011, 10/2011) Body Composition Program failed to make progress

3/5/2012.....Admin Sep proceedings STOPPED - (side note- told that 45 days of leave is too many, he must take leave)

3/16/2012.....Started 28 days of leave - Told by 1Sgt that an email was rcv'd that PEB findings are in - PEBLO knows nothing of such an email

3/20/2012.....Contacted PEBLO - says PEB findings are not in - should be in week or 2

3/26/2012.....(312 days since MEB started, 115 since sent to PEB) Informed that Competency Review Board being held Fri (3/30) for being overweight (same as Admin Sep. on 2/29)

My question: Can they put him on a Competency Review Board for being overweight while on Limited Duty? (My husband has contacted legal, so far they say they don't know)

Any ideas on what we can do (or can't do) at this point?

Thank you.

I am not sure how the Marines do it, but for the Army Admin seperations can continue but basically what happens is the MEB will continue and the admin chapter must be presented to the CG for final approval and most of the time they go with the Medical seperation. For the army you must be at least showing progress and their is a regulation how they even start the program for anyone that does not meet HT/WT standards. I hope for your husband sake, it all turns out ok. Sometimes leaders will mislead their troops, but remember Medical and command and control usually dont see on the same level. Good luck.

IPEB came back today.

313 total days from the date he first spoke with his MEB case worker
VA rated 80% DoD rated at 10% w/ severance

facial fracture + hardware & numbness ... 10%
tinnitus ... 10%
migraines ... 10%
cervical spine ... 10%
lumbar spine ... 10%
left knee ... 10%
right knee ... 10%
left rotator cuff ... 10%
anxiety ... 50%

CRB will be Friday, we'll just have to wait and see...
It's almost all over (a sigh of relief) :D

Question what did your husband submitt to stop the admin seperation due to overwieght? I am currently having the same issue. My findings from my doctor and VA where submitted to the PEB April 24th. I recieved a 6105 from my BN Co informing me that i will be processed for ad sep due to losing the wieght June 1st. I have 11 yrs in the Marines. only neg history was the page 11 for putting me on BCP.

Waivers can be requested via the battalion MO if the medical condition limits PT. The MO will recommend one way or the other...

My husband has been a Marine for 13 years. He was referred to the MEB on Feb 16th 2011.
Here is his timeline (the condensed version)...

2/16/2011.....Put on Limited Duty - Referred to MEB for TBI (also back & knee injuries)
5/12/2011.....Initial meeting w/ MEB case worker - Disability Eval Signed

May to July 2011.....VA Appointments

10/14/2011.....(148 days since Initial meeting w Case Worker) MEB findings & NARSUM Complete

11/4/2011......(169 days) MEB Case worker contacts us - MEB Package & Recommendations Ready to review - did not request "Impartial Medical Review"

11/30/2011.....(195 days) MEB Package sent to PEB

12/2/2011.....EAS - Extended due to pending PEB

2/29/2012.....(286 days) Admin Separation proceedings started - due to being overweight (3/2011, 8/2011, 10/2011) Body Composition Program failed to make progress

3/5/2012.....Admin Sep proceedings STOPPED - (side note- told that 45 days of leave is too many, he must take leave)

3/16/2012.....Started 28 days of leave - Told by 1Sgt that an email was rcv'd that PEB findings are in - PEBLO knows nothing of such an email

3/20/2012.....Contacted PEBLO - says PEB findings are not in - should be in week or 2

3/26/2012.....(312 days since MEB started, 115 since sent to PEB) Informed that Competency Review Board being held Fri (3/30) for being overweight (same as Admin Sep. on 2/29)

My question: Can they put him on a Competency Review Board for being overweight while on Limited Duty? (My husband has contacted legal, so far they say they don't know)

Any ideas on what we can do (or can't do) at this point?

Thank you.

Wow, I've been a Marine or 12 years now, what it sounds like is they are trying to find any way to screw over your husband. The cannot admin sep him due to his weight, and i dont think they can admin sep him from a competency review board. What it sounds like to me they are trying to do is reduce him in rank based upon his weight. I'm also going through the PEB process and I know how hard it is after 8 months of going through this to give a shit about doing your job in the Marine Corps at all anymore. I would suggest having him go talk to the JAG immediately. This is something that he needs a legal eagle to either beat or postpone till after the decision. Keep in mind that if it comes back that he is FIT for duty, then all bets are off as to adminsep/reduce etc.

Hope that helps a little, sorry for the late response, please keep us updated