To MEB or not to MEB???

Tomcat98

PEB Forum Regular Member
I am looking for opinions on if I should go thru the MEB process or not. I have been led to beleive I have some input of course I will believe it when I see it. It was mentioned 5 months ago and just came up again this week. It really makes me angry.

I was diagnosed wiht PTSD in early Fall 09. (I recently saw a note in my medical records that said I was showing symptoms in 06 and I refused treatment. I don't remember that but that is what I would have done given I had a pending promo board and had just PCSd.)

Currently I am on a one year profile with no deployment and recently my Dr said to me in passing that I will never deploy again. That really spoke to me and made me feel like I was finished. As for deployments at this point I am really indifferent.

I have exposure therapy treatment once a week plus am on a variety of meds. They are currently jacked up. I sometimes wonder if I am making progress or will ever get better. As many of you know this wears on you. I look back at the time when this occured and its like a bad stain that I can't wash off. I am miserable. I have good days and bad days. I really feel I am not performing where I should be. Thank goodness my unit is very supportive.

I have over 20 yrs active duty and could drop papers if the profile was lifted. Without this issue the earliest I would apply for retirement is Oct 10 for one year out. I really want to stay until at least Oct of 11. Would prefer summer 12.

I just don't know the impact a MEB might have on my future. I mean is there anything to gain or just go on? My concern is that the MEB will be negative in some way and mess me up later on. Is there any relationship between MEB results and VA?

I don't know what to do.

Tomcat98

Tomcat98,

Welcome! You may not have input, but if you do, here are my thoughts.

Since you have more than 20, you can't so worse than what you would get with a length of service retirement. So, there is no risk and somethings that could possibly be gained by going to a MEB/PEB. If you are given a combat related finding from the PEB, you will almost certainly qualify for Combat Related Special Compensation and reap tax benefits.

As far as the relationship between PEB results and the VA, with more than 20 years or a combat related finding, you will be able to recieve compensation from both sources. As far as ratings, if you are in the pilot program, the ratings will be the same. If not, the PEB ratings are evidence that should be considered by the VA.

It sounds like you are not having a good rapport with your provider. If you are not getting the help you need, you may want to look at trying to change providers (without being confrontational, especially in the case that you can't change providers).

Hope this helped and that all goes well for you. Best of luck.

You have some things to think about here. With being over 20 years and being eligble for retirement now and diagnosed with PTSD, The minimum you would receive in accordance with 38 CFR part 4.129 in you are medically discharged is 50% and placed on TDRL (Temporary disabled retired list). You would have to be re-evaluated 6 months after discharge and could remain on TDRL for up to 5 years.

While on the TDRL, a physical examination shall be given at least once every 18 months. Service members may remain on the TDRL up to 5 years. However, final action may be taken at any time based on changes to the member's condition. If, as a result of the periodic examination, the member is found fit for duty, they may be discharged from the TDRL and returned to active duty. If the disability has stabilized and is rated at 30% or greater, the member will be transferred to the Permanent Disability Retired List (PDRL). If the disability has stabilized and is rated at less than 30%, and the member does not have 20 years of service (which you exceed), they will be discharged from the TDRL with severance pay. If the service member is found fit for duty, they will be discharged from the TDRL and returned to duty, or discharged without severance pay.

I forsee you getting PDRL shortly after TDRL status, usually 6 months to 18 months.

Now take this into consideration. Federal law prohibits you from drawing to disability checks concurrently (i.e. you can't get a medical retirement check and a VA compensation check). PTSD is combat related so your are eligible for CRSC. Each individual's CRSC payment varies depending on years of service, disabilities and high thre base pay. Since you are over 20 years and I believe will get over 50% from the VA, you would be eligible for CRDP and could receive BOTH your retirement check and VA compensation checks concurrently. CRSC is non-taxable and CRDP is taxable. I can help you figure out which is better for you in the long run and if a COAD would be the right choice for you.

I am sure that you will have a lot more questions as the MEB progresses. This is the best site that I have found. I recommend that you find a local DAV (or any service organization) representative to assist you through the entire process. They can make sure that you are taken care of every step of the way, free of charge and will help you with filing with the VA as well.

Welcome to the forum, thank you for your dedicated service for all of us. I dont have much advice regarding your choices most of the system escapes me. Thats why we hired Jason. I can impart some of what we have come to know concerning PTSD. My husband is old school army like you. The diagnosis is a hard pill to swallow. Will he be allowed to own weapons? Will it effect his chances at some point on getting a job etc: all these thoughts, and dealing with the loss of normalcy will totally overwhelm the strongest of people. We have come up with some ways to cope with this monster ptsd. The first and most important is our mantra, "it is what it is."

My husband is going through his meb, and had to have an evaluation for ptsd. He's 100%p/t iu va, for ptsd plus another 70% for medical. so during this intake, the doc told him that the army is doing studies to try to figure out why all these guys are comming home off their rockers, they have figured out the adreniline surges that occur during extended periods of stress during combat forever change the chemical makeup of the brain. There was a recent study that showed a positive effect if morphine was administered right after stressful combat situations the guys had better outcomes overall, seems the morphine does something to reverse the effects of the chemicals, what was critical was the timing. They have also discovered that a side effect of ptsd is high blood pressure.

My husband swings out in his sleep, moans, jumps up and out of bed, it seems to be worse during aniverseries of some of the worst that he experienced. We have found two things that help him, one is his high blood pressure medicine. I try to be vigilent for his crisis modes, and have gone so far as to lock the weapons up.

He see's life differently than non combat experienced humans. I'm okay with that because he has seen humanities capacity for utter devistation. He knows intimately how evil we can be. His "hyper-vigillence" is a response to that. When the general non combat population watches the news and thinks about how violent our society is, they really have no fricken clue. I believe that PTSD is a natural stripped down visceral response to danger, it keeps you alive. When you leave the battleground and re-enter polite society, the visceral response becomes inappropriate, but you can't just turn it off. You can numb it, ignore it, work around it, but it's a natural response. All around us the evil of our animalistic nature exists, it's covered up by societal expectations, but it's there. All we can do is accept it, work with-in his new limitations. I try to run interference as much as possible, be quiet when appropriate, and Love him despite it all. It seems to help him that I see it the way I do, and to know that I support him.

He is forgetfull- alot. It bothers him, he always had a very very good memory before. He worries about everything. He cries, all of that. You know what it's okay, I'd cry too, I'd be pissed too, I'd think everyone around me frettin over stupid shit was a dump ass too, if some rude jerk was dumb enough to enter my space or bump into me I'd knock his ass out too, if I knew what he KNOWS about human beings true nature. thats my take on it.

If what you were dealing with were something that could be seen on xray, in a blood test, you might give yourself a break, but the stigma of PTSD, is harder to cope with for Old School Soldiers. I hope this helps you. Your not alone.

TomCat98,
Welcome to the board. You've found the right place for answers. Though the people might not always have the answers they also know where to point us, as far as regs go.

I have been told, by my off base psychaitrist that I have PTSD and symptoms by my previous military provider (It went un-diagnoised, because it was the lesser of the 2 issues at the time). So, I have an idea of what you are going through. Only you can decide what is the right course of action for you. But since you want to stay until summer of 12, if possible, you will not be upset about remaining on AD. If I were in your shoes (I'm not so can only provide my COA), I would go for the MEB/start the DES process. A lot of doors are opened for you if you are rated with a combat related injury. Like other people said, you would most likely get/qualify for CRSC and CRDP and, worst case scenario, receive your normal retirement for 20+ YOS. Hope this helps.

Please, feel free to ask any questions and If you'd like to talk sometime send me a PM. I'm usually awake when I should be sleeping and am on here alot.

Thanks for the reply. I prepared a long email but the system timed out.

I was not in theatre with my work. I dealt with info relating to our "guest" that we have squirreled away. (I hope we let these bad apples rot) I never compromised my integrity and did what was asked of me. But I am very distrustful of the government. Maybe this is why I was in denial so long with the diagnosis. I was not a trigger puller but was one years ago when I was enlisted in the Army prior to being comissioned in the AF. Why did this happen to me? Therapist says that this is common and while I have mostly had classified jobs I was not prepared for this and not briefed on the potential impact.

I get along well with the Drs. except there are times they push me pretty far and I say enough. I think they are looking out for me however I think they are dropping hints about the path ahead later on. They appear to be in no hurry. They changed my meds this week and it has been real ruff.

Failed a mini sleep study las fall so they are going to do a full one to rule out sleep apnia. I dont think I have it I think it is the PTSD. Got 5 hrs sleep last night with waking up at 0200. Thought I heard something so searched the house. House was alarmed but I still searched. I thought about installing outside cameras so I can check there.

Nightmares again. My family has been transposed into the info and scenes that haunt me. I have a photographic memory but short term memory is gone. I describe my ability to work like a functional alcoholic. I pull it together for a while then implode when I am away. Yesterday and today people knew I was not well and many asked if I was ok. Up until this point I had been able to fake it.

What is this pilot program and what is DES?

Tomcat98

tomcat,

i feel your pain bro. i'm going through the same stuff: nightmares, lack of sleep, hypervigilance, etc. i like the scenario you gave about being a functional alcoholic. that's what i feel like. i forget what i do and then when i look back or someone tells me what i did, i am like: "holy s#!t" that was never me. i was never like that. my memory is shot. i too last week had a similar incident as you. i was @ a civ. eye doc appt and as i was leaving, i got to my car and started doing a "sweep" around and over the vehicle. what was i looking for. it was like muscle memory that just kicked in for no reason @ the wrong time. i caught myself and said "what the hell are you doing, rob". another funny thing is that i have been thinking about a camera system too, but what the hell for and why do we need it. we don't but it makes complete sense @ the time to me. if you need any help w/anything or just need to vent, do not hesistate to reach out here or e-mail me. good luck brother!

Thanks for the story. Switched back to a diifferent sleep medicine the last 2 nights and sleep was much deeper about the same length. Went to a buds house yesterday. Got a phone call on the way about a work issue. Was fixated on it by the time I got there. He opened the door and asked if someone was chasing me as I was so focused and jumpy. Immediately went to his PC. Tried to log in couldn't remember the codes. Knew the numbers couldn't figure out the order. Got the ass real quick. Took the acute medicine. Nothing. About 2 hrs later he said why dont you just stay. Took a 2nd med calmed down and had a good talk with him and told his wife. Mild niightmares last night. Woke up with a massive headache. Picked up son from Chruch retreat. Quiickly became irritated as I couln't figure out what to do next. Trying to unwind and just get prepared for what tomorrow brings.

Tomcat98