Treatment during TDRL

plubminggrit

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good Morning.

I was medically retired on 29 May 2017. I was placed on TDRL for MDD and anxiety. Does it matter where I continue my treatment? Do I have to see a VA psychologist / psychiatrist or can I see a civilian provider? I would prefer to see a local, civilian provider. I am not sure about how the TDRL re-evaluation works, I am not sure where the appointment will held and what I need to bring with me. All I know right now is that I am supposed to continue with treatment of my conditions. I have heard from other people that I have to go to the VA and then another person told me that I can see a civilian doctor. I want to do the right thing and not mess up my re-evaluation by not being prepared or not following a process. Thank you.

Good Morning.

I was medically retired on 29 May 2017. I was placed on TDRL for MDD and anxiety. Does it matter where I continue my treatment? Do I have to see a VA psychologist / psychiatrist or can I see a civilian provider? I would prefer to see a local, civilian provider. I am not sure about how the TDRL re-evaluation works, I am not sure where the appointment will held and what I need to bring with me. All I know right now is that I am supposed to continue with treatment of my conditions. I have heard from other people that I have to go to the VA and then another person told me that I can see a civilian doctor. I want to do the right thing and not mess up my re-evaluation by not being prepared or not following a process. Thank you.
Indeed, the location for mental healthcare treatment is your decision whether DoVA VHA and/or a civilian provider. The key is to maintain a mental healthcare treatment regime throughout your tenure while on DoD TDRL.

Moreover, please ensure that you can easily obtain all mental healthcare treatment records since the TDRL department will need those particular medical records. Good deal and continue being proactive. Hope this helps and take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Is it a requirement of you to see a therapist for MDD and anxiety? I'm getting med boarded for those but seeing a therapist has not helped.

Is it a requirement of you to see a therapist for MDD and anxiety? I'm getting med boarded for those but seeing a therapist has not helped.
Well, the continuing visit to a mental healthcare provider shows that a particular problem still exist albeit I don't think it's a requirement at least in my opinion.

To that extent, will seeing a mental healthcare provider help your overall case file; I would say yes. Not seeing any mental healthcare provider shall definitely be looked upon as the particular condition is much better.

As such, are you on any mental disorder medication? Do you see a mental healthcare provider for any medication? Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
Well, the continuing visit to a mental healthcare provider shows that a particular problem still exist albeit I don't think it's a requirement at least in my opinion.

To that extent, will seeing a mental healthcare provider help your overall case file; I would say yes. Not seeing any mental healthcare provider shall definitely be looked upon as the particular condition is much better.

As such, are you on any mental disorder medication? Do you see a mental healthcare provider for any medication? Take care!

Best Wishes!

I am on medication and see a provider, so I'm assuming I'll have to keep going to one. It's sort of Russian roulette with the meds and I feel like an experiment sometimes haha.

I am on medication and see a provider, so I'm assuming I'll have to keep going to one. It's sort of Russian roulette with the meds and I feel like an experiment sometimes haha.
Indeed, good deal; I can totally comprehend! Take care!

Best Wishes!

Continuing treatment provides a record of ongoing debility. Where you get treatment should not change the decision, but could make the process a little longer due to records acquisition.

If a person is not making progress after a dozen sessions, I recommend considering a different provider. MDD and anxiety disorder ought to get some better with proper treatment.