Tying together medical conditions for PBDR?

actnduck

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hi there. I found out recently that I am in the eligible group for review under the PBDR, after receiving a medical discharge back in 2009. Amongst the issues reviewed by the PEB, I was found unfitting for pes planus, provided my severance check, and shown the door by the Army. This condition was set at 10%.

To complicate the matter, I entered military service with bi-lateral pes planus, but served 15 1/2 years in the infantry without a single medical issue. From what I understand, the PEB noticed the condition on my entrance physical (waivered on initial entry, ignored on return from break in service), and downgraded my rating to compensate for the pre-existing condition.

In preparing to submit for the PBDR, I did an evaluation with a civilian foot doctor to get a second diagnosis. Turns out this was a good thing because he identified my lower back pain (which developed after breaking my fifth metatarsal in 2007) was a result of one leg being functionally longer than the other, through the flatting of the arch. This pain comes from the tightening of the lower back muscles, which frequently creeps upwards, and plays 'wonderfully' with the degenerative arthritis of my mid-back (also evaluated by the PEB--but found to be a fitting condition, but assessed at 10% by the VA). Overall, I am rated at 80% by the VA.

What I am trying to find out is:
1. Since the PEB looks at body parts in isolation, would tying the foot and back issues together work in my favor, since they are related?
2. My wife thinks I should hire an attorney to represent me in this matter. Would this be smart to do? Would there be much for this individual to do with the PBDR?

I would appreciate any assistance you folks can provide me,
Robert

DevilDoc

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
a. Category I: All Unfitting Conditions
b. Category II: Those Conditions That Are Contributing to the Unfitting Condition.
c. Category III: Those Conditions That Are Not Separately Unfitting, And Do Not
Contribute To The Unfitting Condition.
d. Category IV: Conditions, Which Do Not Constitute A Physical Disability .
Note: Only Category I and Category II conditions will be rated by the PEB.

If your back was resulted from your foot problems, it might get coded as Category II.

actnduck

PEB Forum Regular Member
The back condition was not a result of the foot problem. I had been in to see the docs prior to injuring my foot, to complain about back pain. They did nothing to determine what the problem was until near the end of my time in service, when I insisted they find why I was having various issues (versus the standard treating of symptoms, without dealing with the underlying cause). This is how I discovered I had arthritis setting in, plus sleep apnea and migraines.

So I do not know how the categories relate to my situation...

needhelppeb

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
a. Category I: All Unfitting Conditions
b. Category II: Those Conditions That Are Contributing to the Unfitting Condition.
c. Category III: Those Conditions That Are Not Separately Unfitting, And Do Not
Contribute To The Unfitting Condition.
d. Category IV: Conditions, Which Do Not Constitute A Physical Disability .
Note: Only Category I and Category II conditions will be rated by the PEB.

If your back was resulted from your foot problems, it might get coded as Category II.

Hello. Is this list of 'category' conditions in any regulation? Thank you!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">