Upcoming MEB; (2)Pulmonary embolisms and DVT

Chaplain

Registered Member
I was given 60% by the VA for 6817 but the Navy gave me 0% for 6817. I'm taking Coumadin for life. PDBR shot me down. 14 years in the Navy and no retirement.
From my experience, the Army no longer plays a role as judicator but mirrors the VA Schedule which is current MEB regulation. Hence, why MEB individuals receive their VA rating pre-retirement. If this was your referred condition I would appeal through the Military Board of Corrections is you have been discharged to argue for a Navy Retirement. If not discharged. However, if you have under 20 years AFS you can't collect VA unless you qualify for CRDP to offset. A 60% is a much more money if your a Chief than 60% VA.

ChiefJake1

Registered Member
From my experience, the Army no longer plays a role as judicator but mirrors the VA Schedule which is current MEB regulation. Hence, why MEB individuals receive their VA rating pre-retirement. If this was your referred condition I would appeal through the Military Board of Corrections is you have been discharged to argue for a Navy Retirement. If not discharged. However, if you have under 20 years AFS you can't collect VA unless you qualify for CRDP to offset. A 60% is a much more money if your a Chief than 60% VA.
I appealed to the BCNR and got shot down. They wouldn't review any decisions made by the PDBR. I wrote to my congressman for help and this was the response from the BCNR to Senator Marco Rubio:

Dear Senator Rubio:

This is in response to your recent letter concerning the application of one of your constituents, Mr. John Jacobson, a former member of the United States Navy.

Mr. Jacobson previously applied to the Board for Correction of Naval Records after his case was reviewed by the Physical Disability Board of Review (PDBR). In accordance with Department of Defense Instruction 6040.44, the recommendation of the PDBR, once accepted by the respective military department, is final. Since Mr. Jacobson's PDBR recommendation was accepted by the Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Manpower and Reserve Affairs), the decision in his case is considered a final agency action and outside this Board's jurisdiction. Since Mr. Jacobson has exhausted his administrative remedies, he may seek relief through a federal court of appropriate jurisdiction.

I hope this information will assist you in responding to your constituent.

Thank you for your interest in the Board for Correction of Naval Records. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need further assistance.

And this was the response to me from Senator Rubio:

Dear Mr. Jacobson,

You wrote to me regarding your request to have your military discharge upgraded. Attached to this email is a copy of the response my office received from the Department of the Navy in reference to the inquiry I made on your behalf. I hope you find this information helpful.

As a U.S. Senator, I do not have the authority to overturn a decision already issued by a federal agency. Should you require assistance with any other issues pertaining to the federal government, I am at your service.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with me and the opportunity to serve you. I am humbled by my responsibilities in the United States Senate, and I will continue to work on behalf of our state of Florida.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
United States Senator

I honestly don't know what to do from here. I feel like DoD decided it's much easier to sweep my case under the rug than it is to correct an obvious wrong!

Kazhmone

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello ChiefJake1,
I am just reading up on my messages and replied back to you. You have done a lot to get your ratings and discharge reconsidered. I told you why I gave up and did not pursue my case to change my ratings for the recurrent dvts and PE. You have given the military some of the best years of your life and I would say this to you, I have learned since being retired and away from the Military is that different people, Agencies do what they want to do and how they want to do it. Sometimes I do not feel rules, regulations and codes are enforced and followed 100% or everyone treated and given the same. If someone is having a good day handling your case you may get a good out come, if they are having a bad day we know how the end results may be. Some just simply don't care cause they are burnt out from the job or etc. It's like pulling straws hoping your case is gonna get answered and handled by the right one and that it will be on a good day for that person.
Because every ones case is so different and unique all of us have in common the same thing and that is we want what we worked hard for and the ratings we are deserving to get from the DOD and VA. This is our life on the line.
Bottom line, this is about you, your family and the rest of your life. You must do what you have to do. You said you don't know what from here. Only you can either keep up the fight when you feel like you're in a loosing battle or you can just stop and do no more. For some taking "No" is just not the final answer.

whalenra

Registered Member
Hey all, been reading up on here to try and prepare myself. Here's my situation:
ADAF E-6 with 13 years, 4 months TIS
1st DVT - May 2014, Xarelto for about 4.5 months then nothing.
2nd DVT - July 2017, Xarelto for life!
I just got back from my C&P appointments, and got my MEB results a couple days ago. Diagnosis: unprovoked DVTs. Since the 2nd DVT, lab work shows I have Factor V Leiden. Beyond this, I have no other complications. I currently have no duty or PT limitations. Am I really to expect a med discharge of some sort, or is it that I can only find such cases because people don't tend to talk about being returned to duty? As it stands, I'd like to return to duty, but I don't want to get my hopes up thinking I can fight for that when there's a 0% chance of that happening.