USAFR MEB w/100% T&P Question

Skyejedi220

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I've read through the tremendous amount of invaluable information on this site, however, there's one thing I cannot glean from my searches--any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I've been injected into the MEB process due to the following potentially unfitting condition: cervical spinal fusion (w/cord compression) w/peripheral atrophy, nerve damage/peripheral neuropathy and chronic pain.

I was diagnosed/treated for this condition while on an Active Duty tour and since the condition didn't improve within 12-months the flight surgeon referred me for an MEB and I was permanently restricted from flying/DNIF. Before being pushed for an MEB, but transitioning form my Active Duty tour, I filed a VA claim and was found 100% Total an Permanently disabled, no future exams required.

Question 1: After my paperwork being lost and it now being 1 year since referred for an MEB, if they don't return me to duty and find me unfit, will I have to go through the VA process again? Even w/a 100% T&P no future exams required?

Question 2: If found fit for duty w/restricted duty code, is there a potential issue being 100% w/ROPMA--I am at the grade of my current billet and wondering if anyone has had experience w/"what would happen if I am faced w/mandatory promotion board, but cannot get into a position due to 100%?" The AF 1288 form has on it, the percentage of VA rating when you apply for a position/transfer. Just wondering if I potentially would face being forced out administratively (ROPMA) if I cannot get placed in a next higher grade billet before I meet 20 years of satisfactory service (i'm at 16).

Again, appreciate any insights.

What other conditions were you rated by the VA for? It is virtually impossible to get a 100% P&T from a cervical injury.

I was rated 40% cervical, 70% right arm, 60% left arm (both sub to cervical condition) due to nerve damage/atrophy/proprioception. Additional conditions were arthritis, tinnitus/hearing, and IBS.

Question 2: If found fit for duty w/restricted duty code, is there a potential issue being 100% w/ROPMA--I am at the grade of my current billet and wondering if anyone has had experience w/"what would happen if I am faced w/mandatory promotion board, but cannot get into a position due to 100%?"
Taking the assumptions at face value, after a fit finding, you could face separation for non-selection to next higher grade.

The AF 1288 form has on it, the percentage of VA rating when you apply for a position/transfer. Just wondering if I potentially would face being forced out administratively (ROPMA) if I cannot get placed in a next higher grade billet before I meet 20 years of satisfactory service (i'm at 16).

See above. These thoughts are pretty much just "off the cuff," remarks. Hard to tell much or offer meaningful input based on just the hypothetical. The VA percentage, though, by itself, should not be the "main" problem....it would likely be the disabilities themselves limiting your duty assignments to less than competitive positions that may impact your chances with a promotion board. Still, given your disabilities, it seems unlikely that you would be found fit.

(As to your question about going through the "VA process" again, yes, in IDES, the VA will re-rate your conditions in the normal course of the process).

Taking the assumptions at face value, after a fit finding, you could face separation for non-selection to next higher grade.

See above. These thoughts are pretty much just "off the cuff," remarks. Hard to tell much or offer meaningful input based on just the hypothetical. The VA percentage, though, by itself, should not be the "main" problem....it would likely be the disabilities themselves limiting your duty assignments to less than competitive positions that may impact your chances with a promotion board. Still, given your disabilities, it seems unlikely that you would be found fit.

(As to your question about going through the "VA process" again, yes, in IDES, the VA will re-rate your conditions in the normal course of the process).
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions--much appreciated.

I may reach out to you for consultation once I hear back from PEBLO. Are you taking on new clients? (I saw your consultation fees, etc on your peblawyer.com)

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions--much appreciated.

I may reach out to you for consultation once I hear back from PEBLO. Are you taking on new clients? (I saw your consultation fees, etc on your peblawyer.com)

You're welcome!

Yes, I am taking new clients. Please contact me with any professional inquiries at [email protected] .