VA caregiver program

Can someone assist me with the rates for 23602 please. TIA
Indeed, as I often state, ask and you shall receive...:D

Enter the ZIP code of the geographic location where the Service member currently resides: 23602

For the "Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News VA-NC" area, an approved VA caregiver for "Newport News City" in the location of "Newport News, VA" at a Local Hourly Wage of "$11.55" is...
  • Tier 1 is looking at $502.43 for a monthly stipend amount (e.g., 10 hours of care)
  • Tier 2 is looking at $1,256.06 for a monthly stipend amount (e.g., 25 hours of care)
  • Tier 3 is looking at $2,009.70 for a monthly stipend amount (e.g., 40 hours of care)
NOTE the "Disclaimer: These compensation rates are subject to change based on revisions made to Bureau of Labor Statistics wage rates."

Moreover, pleased note that "In his FY 2017 budget, President Obama is proposing $182.3 billion for the Department of Veterans Affairs. Funding will continue to support the largest transformation in VA history; expand access to timely, high-quality health care and benefits; and advance efforts to end homelessness among Veterans."

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

My husband was offically retired Jan 10th of this year, since the we have applied for and been granted crsc, 80% va rating, ssd, and I was just approved for the VA family caregiver program. I have walked my husband through everything to make sure no one else is in control of our lives or finances. (He is a stay at home at dad now, and I still work full time) We are currently waiting on approval for the individual unemployability claim and I will update on this once it is received. If anyone wants any help with where to start or forms I would be more than willing to give advice and so forth just to help.
My husband was offically retired Jan 10th of this year, since the we have applied for and been granted crsc, 80% va rating, ssd, and I was just approved for the VA family caregiver program. I have walked my husband through everything to make sure no one else is in control of our lives or finances. (He is a stay at home at dad now, and I still work full time) We are currently waiting on approval for the individual unemployability claim and I will update on this once it is received. If anyone wants any help with where to start or forms I would be more than willing to give advice and so forth just to help.
Hello! I was curious about what you mean by Individual Unemployability Claim? Is this a state entitlement your husband is applying for? I have been in the VA Caregiver Program for almost two years but thought about applying for Unemployment since my husband is a Tier 3 rating for The Caregiver program. I can no longer work full time. Any input would be appreciated. THANK YOU in advance

Can you piggyback the VA caregiver program and your local County IHSS program and Aid & Attendance?

Can you piggyback the VA caregiver program and your local County IHSS program and Aid & Attendance?

From my experiences with the VA Caregiver Program, the answer would seem to be yes at this point in time unless there exist State and/or Local laws prohibiting such entitlement.

In retrospect, a military veteran is eligible for a Primary or Secondary Family Caregiver under 38 CFR Parts 17 and 71, Section 71.20 if she or he meets all of the following requirements:

a. Did the Veteran or Servicemember (undergoing medical discharge) incur or aggravate a serious injury including traumatic brain injury, psychological trauma or other mental disorder, in the line of duty, on or after September 11, 2001? YES

b. Due to the serious injury(ies) sustained by the Veteran or Servicemember, is another person (Caregiver) required to assist with the management of personal care functions required in everyday living? YES

c. Based on this serious injury, will the Veteran or Servicemember require the assistance of another person (Caregiver) to be able to manage personal care functions required in everyday living for a continuous period of a minimum of six months? YES

d. Is it clinically in the best interest of the Veteran or Servicemember to participate in the Family Caregiver Program? YES

e. Will the Veteran or Servicemember receive care at home from the Family Caregiver upon admission into the Family Caregiver Program? YES

f. Will the Veteran or Servicemember receive ongoing health care from a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) or other VA health care team? (This does not preclude co-management with a community provider). YES

g. Will the Family Caregiver be providing personal care services without another individual entity, or program providing the same services concurrently? YES

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Is the caregiver program strictly for injuries or do illnesses count? My main disabling condition is a neurological disease. At times I am unable to walk or climb stairs. I've been to Walter Reed and seen double amputees with prosthetic legs ambulating better than me!

My wife does all of the cooking cleaning and grocery shopping. It would be nice for her to be able to get paid for it.

This is the part that worries me because it makes no reference to illness

a. Did the Veteran or Servicemember (undergoing medical discharge) incur or aggravate a serious injury including traumatic brain injury, psychological trauma or other mental disorder, in the line of duty, on or after September 11, 2001?

Ok im fairly new to being a veterans wife. (10-10-15) i actually just found out about the caregiver program today. My husband is drawing 70% disability between his back ears and ptsd. He still works tho so I'm not sure we would even qualify. I have been trying to research this all day and haven't found an answer to this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok im fairly new to being a veterans wife. (10-10-15) i actually just found out about the caregiver program today. My husband is drawing 70% disability between his back ears and ptsd. He still works tho so I'm not sure we would even qualify. I have been trying to research this all day and haven't found an answer to this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
**** Happy New Year ****

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In retrospect, since the National Caregiver Support Line at 1-855-260-3274 serves as the primary resource and referral center to assist caregivers, they informed us that eligibility for the VA Caregiver Program is based on any medical (e.g., military service-connected and non-military service-connected) condition in which the need for personal caregiver services are required.

In contemplation, a veteran is eligible for a Primary or Secondary Family Caregiver under 38 CFR Parts 17 and 71, Section 71.20 if she or he meets all of the following requirements:

a. Did the Veteran or Servicemember (undergoing medical discharge) incur or aggravate a serious injury including traumatic brain injury, psychological trauma or other mental disorder, in the line of duty, on or after September 11, 2001? YES/NO

b. Due to the serious injury(ies) sustained by the Veteran or Servicemember, is another person (Caregiver) required to assist with the management of personal care functions required in everyday living? YES/NO

c. Based on this serious injury, will the Veteran or Servicemember require the assistance of another person (Caregiver) to be able to manage personal care functions required in everyday living for a continuous period of a minimum of six months? YES/NO

d. Is it clinically in the best interest of the Veteran or Servicemember to participate in the Family Caregiver Program? YES/NO

e. Will the Veteran or Servicemember receive care at home from the Family Caregiver upon admission into the Family Caregiver Program? YES/NO

f. Will the Veteran or Servicemember receive ongoing health care from a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) or other VA health care team? (This does not preclude co-management with a community provider). YES/NO

g. Will the Family Caregiver be providing personal care services without another individual entity, or program providing the same services concurrently? YES/NO

In summary, being capable of employment by the applicant isn't a clinical criteria for entry into the DoVA Family Caregiver Program albeit it could potentially be viewed as an unfavorable event in my experienced opinion. Take care!

Best Wishes!

Thank you!!! He has an appointment on the 23rd I think ill try n get more info while we're there n see if we qualify

Thank you!!! He has an appointment on the 23rd I think ill try n get more info while we're there n see if we qualify
Indeed, you both are quite welcome! :) Okay and take care! :cool:

Best Wishes!

Can a veteran claim the family caregiver program and IU?

Yes, if you have condition(s) that require aid and attendance, you can apply for both it as well as individual unemployability.

Hi everyone.
Was just notified that we were approved for the caregiver program at a tier level 3 yay! I was wondering if anyone had an idea of when we might receive the back pay ?

Hello, my husband (veteran) has been 100% disabled (medically discharged) since 2006. Due to his injuries, I resigned from my position as a police officer and have been his care provider since. My changing shifts and not being able to focus on being in the moment at my highly dangerous career as well has his need for me to be there for him was of course the reason for this decision. He has major injuries as well as TBI/PTSD which all of the members on his care team have stated will not get better, but probably worse. Long story short, he was rated home bound by the V.A. and is also on many narcotics for his cognitive issues. My question is, since he has been through all of the medical evaluations and currently has a medical team that he sees monthly, is called for a tele conference weekly, sees an occupational therapist and psychiatrist monthly unless he needs them more often, will he have to yet go through more red-tape for us to qualify for the V.A. care provider program? He does not do well as it is with the current evaluations that he goes through on a regular basis, due to him being deemed "a special case" by all of his care providers. He has been through so much already and I am not sure if I even want to open this can of worms. Thank all in advance for any response and recommendations.

Hello, my husband (veteran) has been 100% disabled (medically discharged) since 2006. Due to his injuries, I resigned from my position as a police officer and have been his care provider since. My changing shifts and not being able to focus on being in the moment at my highly dangerous career as well has his need for me to be there for him was of course the reason for this decision. He has major injuries as well as TBI/PTSD which all of the members on his care team have stated will not get better, but probably worse. Long story short, he was rated home bound by the V.A. and is also on many narcotics for his cognitive issues. My question is, since he has been through all of the medical evaluations and currently has a medical team that he sees monthly, is called for a tele conference weekly, sees an occupational therapist and psychiatrist monthly unless he needs them more often, will he have to yet go through more red-tape for us to qualify for the V.A. care provider program? He does not do well as it is with the current evaluations that he goes through on a regular basis, due to him being deemed "a special case" by all of his care providers. He has been through so much already and I am not sure if I even want to open this can of worms. Thank all in advance for any response and recommendations.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In my experienced opinion, I would highly suggest that you contact the VA Caregiver Support Line at 1-855-260-3274 to obtain their targeted feedback and suggestions about the DoVA Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers relative to your husband's specifically unique medical situation.

In retrospect during the application process for the VA Family Caregiver Support Program, it is suppose to be performed via a "paper review" of your husband's medical records/documentation/files and not the scheduling of any additional DoVA C&P examination(s) for direct enrollment and/or qualification.

Also, it's important to note that the VA Family Caregiver Support Program offers support & services to both the veteran and the family caregiver while officially enrolled. As such, please view this URL https://www.caregiver.va.gov/support/support_benefits.asp from the DoVA website for additional detailed information. Take care!

Best Wishes!

I was told the program is "temporary to get the veteran the best version of themselves" today on the phone with the VA caregiver support line. She made it sound like it was just a little help to get over a hump. Is that what people are experiencing out there in the real world?

I was told the program is "temporary to get the veteran the best version of themselves" today on the phone with the VA caregiver support line. She made it sound like it was just a little help to get over a hump. Is that what people are experiencing out there in the real world?
I know this reply is a year and 2 months late but.....YES!!! I have personally been told the same thing.

We applied and then the Dole VA somehow "misplaced" the application and when we called to see what could be done a GIGANTIC push to blame the mishap on all kinds of things other than the program on site. We just let it go as the nightmare that can come of it is not worth the money. They can really put the screws to you if they want.