VA Disability Payment Timeline

GSWarrior2017

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Sorry if there are other threads that cover this topic (generally), but I just wanted to get your thoughts/experiences on when I should anticipate my first VA Disability payment. My Retirement date is 28 DEC 2017. I will provide my DD214 to all the necessary agencies on 28 DEC 2017. Should I receive VA Comp by at least 1 MAR 2018 (realistically)? Most general estimates state about a month (1 FEB 2018), but I just wanted to make sure I have a realistic expectation of receiving payment at lease by 1 MAR 2018.

AFPC will contact you the first working morning of your retirement via email. They will send a link that allows you to review and download your DD214. Immediately upload the same to
your open VA claim via E-benefits. Your first month of VA eligibility will be January. Around the 8th of February you will be paid. Make sure your pay record with the VA has been established!

Sorry if there are other threads that cover this topic (generally), but I just wanted to get your thoughts/experiences on when I should anticipate my first VA Disability payment. My Retirement date is 28 DEC 2017. I will provide my DD214 to all the necessary agencies on 28 DEC 2017. Should I receive VA Comp by at least 1 MAR 2018 (realistically)? Most general estimates state about a month (1 FEB 2018), but I just wanted to make sure I have a realistic expectation of receiving payment at lease by 1 MAR 2018.

01 March is realistic.

Medically retired on 29 OCT and I'm still waiting to see a VA paycheck. I think it is more to do with the fact that I am eligible for CRDP and had to wait for the VA and DFAS to work it out. It took the VA about 30 days just get my final case review done and about another 10 days to get the final ratings packet in the mail. I could download stuff off benefits 1 DEC so that helped in getting other VA related benefits going. I'd expect 01 MAR like gs says above and if you get it 8 Feb then consider yourself lucky.

Medically retired on 29 OCT and I'm still waiting to see a VA paycheck. I think it is more to do with the fact that I am eligible for CRDP and had to wait for the VA and DFAS to work it out. It took the VA about 30 days just get my final case review done and about another 10 days to get the final ratings packet in the mail. I could download stuff off benefits 1 DEC so that helped in getting other VA related benefits going. I'd expect 01 MAR like gs says above and if you get it 8 Feb then consider yourself lucky.
If you received your final rating from the VA then you should be paid on the first of the following month (01 Jan)

If you received your final rating from the VA then you should be paid on the first of the following month (01 Jan)
I should have been paid 1 DEC for NOV since I became VA eligible on 30 OCT with benefits starting 1 NOV and then be expecting my second check 1 JAN. I’m hoping I see two checks next week. One for NOV backpay and one for regular pay. DOD side should now be correct for CRDP too.

If you became eligible on the 30th of October, they may have not processed the pay until mid Dec. Should see two payments on 01 Jan, but since that is a holiday, expect to see it Friday.

I was told va pays a month behind i got my approval oct 21 and they said oct was so close to end they dont prorate so approval would be nov 1 which would have been paid in dec but yet they said i wouldnt get a check or back pay on first check which is dec 29. So i hope your right on two payments that would be sweet.

actually i looked they changed my effective date till nov 10 2017 bc that was my retirement date so i will only see one. ugh

Just got my DD214 and my MSC uploaded it to eBenefits. I asked him if I should hope for payment by 1 MAR 2018 and he said it should be 1 FEB 2018. Hoping for FEB. Thank you to all that commented and are providing their experiences.

Looks like were on the same track for 1 Feb being paid! I retired the 21st and uploaded my 214 same day. Ebenefits added a new claim today 28th called "IDES NEW", so i have 2 open claims for this now, the new one is at under review and the other one that opened after i got my purposed ratings is still at "pending decision approval". I could really use the money on 1 Feb, almost 80 days of terminal and struggling to find a job.

Looks like were on the same track for 1 Feb being paid! I retired the 21st and uploaded my 214 same day. Ebenefits added a new claim today 28th called "IDES NEW", so i have 2 open claims for this now, the new one is at under review and the other one that opened after i got my purposed ratings is still at "pending decision approval". I could really use the money on 1 Feb, almost 80 days of terminal and struggling to find a job.

I can totally understand. I hope we both get a FEB payout. I know how hard it can be to find a job, and I hope it works out for you. I can not medically hold a job so I will truly depend on it paying out soon. I was arbitrarily denied SSDI (due to military income--even though it ends now), but I appealed, and I am praying for them to approve it. If not, my lawyer is on standby. I also applied for economic assistance with the state, but have to wait on an interview for that to possibly be approved as well. Times are hard and painful, but I hope the financial side can at least work out in the near future.

Yeah i feel ya, im more bored than anything at the moment! When the VA faucet starts flowing im fine living off just that till i find something, but id rather have a job to keep busy. Its almost like i blinked and 79 days went by. Been trying to find peoples experiences with VRA appointments or anything like that. Im a bit leary of trying to find a somewhat physical job when im rated 90%, kinda not trusting the va lol

This is good info to know!! I just hit the retiement rolls on 30 Dec 2017. Upon final Finance meeting I was told I would get my final Army pay on 29 Dec 2017, well they didnt say that it would be held off for about 30 days due to audit. SO that got me thinking how long would the VA check take? I was under the impression that the 3 or 4 direct deposit forms I filled out during the IDES process at least one would end up at the VA, but I didnt want to take that chance, so I just recently uploaded my DD214 this morning along with ANOTHER VA direct deposit form based on this thread. so hopefully March 1st, but Feb 1st would be even better. Happy New Years and thanks for the info!