Weird rating

yarddog

Registered Member
#1
Hello...I was medically retired for a pulmonary embolism in Jan 2016. I went through the IDES process and was judged 30% for the embolism, 10% for my neck, 10% for my elbow, and 10% for my hip. Altogether a 50% rating. After I retired, in Mar 2016, I submitted a new claim for sleep apnea. My claim completed a couple of days ago and my rating increased to 60%. But here is the weird thing. On Ebenefits, under where my disabilities are listed, it now says "obstructive sleep apnea with cpap and pulmonary embolus, embolism" with a rating of 50%. The previous embolism rating of 30% vanished and was lumped with the sleep apnea. I haven't received the official letter yet, but I was wondering if anybody could explain what's going on.
 

tony292

PEB Forum Veteran
#2
Sleep apnea is considered a pilmonary condition and all pulmonary conditions will be lumped together to prevent pyramiding
 

yarddog

Registered Member
#3
I don't know...this is the first I heard about pyramiding and doing some cursory research online about it appears that the 2 conditions have to result in the same symptomatology. Which was not the case for my OSA (snoring, not breathing for periods of time)and embolism episode (shortness of breath; painful to inhale).
 

yarddog

Registered Member
#4
Never mind....finally found what you were talking about in the VASRD:

§4.96 Special provisions regarding evaluation of respiratory conditions.

(a) Rating coexisting respiratory conditions. Ratings under diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 and 6822 through 6847 will not be combined with each other. Where there is lung or pleural involvement, ratings under diagnostic codes 6819 and 6820 will not be combined with each other or with diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 or 6822 through 6847. A single rating will be assigned under the diagnostic code which reflects the predominant disability with elevation to the next higher evaluation where the severity of the overall disability warrants such elevation. However, in cases protected by the provisions of Pub. L. 90-493, the graduated ratings of 50 and 30 percent for inactive tuberculosis will not be elevated.

Oh well....
 

Marks

Registered Member
#5
Hello...I was medically retired for a pulmonary embolism in Jan 2016. I went through the IDES process and was judged 30% for the embolism, 10% for my neck, 10% for my elbow, and 10% for my hip. Altogether a 50% rating. After I retired, in Mar 2016, I submitted a new claim for sleep apnea. My claim completed a couple of days ago and my rating increased to 60%. But here is the weird thing. On Ebenefits, under where my disabilities are listed, it now says "obstructive sleep apnea with cpap and pulmonary embolus, embolism" with a rating of 50%. The previous embolism rating of 30% vanished and was lumped with the sleep apnea. I haven't received the official letter yet, but I was wondering if anybody could explain what's going on.
Hello, just recently diagnosed with multiple pulmonary embolism in my lungs and was told by my PCM that I will be going through a MEB. Did you get MEBd for a single Pulmonary embolism? How long did you take the anticoagulant?
 
data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">