What is the one thing you wish you knew then that you know now?

Alexis Rain

Registered Member
As I’m looking at less than two weeks until my official medical retirement day and looking back at everything that’s happened in my process so far I’m just curious as to what kind of advice you would give yourself having gone through the same thing and and now being able to look back. Is there anything you would change? Is there anything nobody told you about that would’ve been helpful to know sooner?

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
VA side: I wish I had understood the VA has both permanent and non-permanent ratings AND they do not specify that in their proposed ratings. That took me 7 months to straighten out later.

DoD side: Disability income is not subject to the Uniformed Services Former Spouse's Protection Act.

poohbear331

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Alex-
you don't find out until they finalize your ratings and send you that big packet. it will tell you if they will require exams- usually in 5 years it's in the paperwork you receive from the VA

poohbear331

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
that's the process- your MEB ratings are "preliminary" the VA takes a month or more to finalize your ratings after you get out and sends you a packet. a majority of the time your ratings don't change. there is the very small chance that the VA will change something after you get out. that's what I experienced- it might have changed in the last couple years. when you receive your ratings for MEB if i remember correctly it even says preliminary and won't be final until after discharge.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">