What should I do...

gimartin

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am currently undergoing a MEB for migraines as the referred condition. I went to my C&P exams earlier this month and did a reather in depth psych evaluation where it was determined that I have PTSD. I was looking through my medical records from the past few months and came across a specific appointment with my local behavioral health clinic on post diagnosing me as having personality disorder and even went so far as to state that I was "seeking a diagnosis of PTSD".

The fact is that I know there is something wrong with me in regards to mental health but PTSD did not really even cross my mind. I was surprised when the doctor that I was at the VA stated that she did not know how they did not catch that before.

So now, here I am going through the MEB and am at the "Gathering of Evidence" phase and have a diagnosis of personality disorder. I know that the VA does independent exams and I think it very well may not matter in the long run, but should I do something about this? I am confident that this is a bogus diagnosis, as is the case often where I am now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am currently undergoing a MEB for migraines as the referred condition. I went to my C&P exams earlier this month and did a reather in depth psych evaluation where it was determined that I have PTSD. I was looking through my medical records from the past few months and came across a specific appointment with my local behavioral health clinic on post diagnosing me as having personality disorder and even went so far as to state that I was "seeking a diagnosis of PTSD".

The fact is that I know there is something wrong with me in regards to mental health but PTSD did not really even cross my mind. I was surprised when the doctor that I was at the VA stated that she did not know how they did not catch that before.

So now, here I am going through the MEB and am at the "Gathering of Evidence" phase and have a diagnosis of personality disorder. I know that the VA does independent exams and I think it very well may not matter in the long run, but should I do something about this? I am confident that this is a bogus diagnosis, as is the case often where I am now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Not really sure what your desired outcome is here? I am guessing personality disorder was not one of your claimed conditions, nor was it a referred condition. If I understand everything, you are referred for headaches. Was PTSD a factor in the performance of your duties? Are there any claimed BH issues, or is there just this note in your records? What triggered the BH C&P appointment?

I do believe that BH issues led to an impact on the performance of my duties but when I talked with the VA MSC the first time, there was no definite diagnosis but I did have a BH record therefore he set me up with a psych eval. I've had anxiety disorder listed in my records for a while now.

Yes, I was referred for my headaches.

I guess that my desired outcome would be to "set the record straight" and fight a possible erroneous diagnosis. Like I said, it doesn't seem as if this has an impact on the results of my MEB. I am not 100% sure of this though and am not sure of the long-lasting effects of having this on my medical records.

I do believe that BH issues led to an impact on the performance of my duties but when I talked with the VA MSC the first time, there was no definite diagnosis but I did have a BH record therefore he set me up with a psych eval. I've had anxiety disorder listed in my records for a while now.

Yes, I was referred for my headaches.

I guess that my desired outcome would be to "set the record straight" and fight a possible erroneous diagnosis. Like I said, it doesn't seem as if this has an impact on the results of my MEB. I am not 100% sure of this though and am not sure of the long-lasting effects of having this on my medical records.

I am sure others will chime in, but I will offer my piece of advice.

First, I do not believe a reference in your Army medical records about the personality disorder are going to cause future problems. After you get out, those will be shared as you direct. The VA is going to make their own determination as to what is and is not wrong with you. If the C&P doctor is writing it up for PTSD, that is good.

As far as claiming it as a referred condition, that may be hard to do. You will have to show how it impacted your duty performance. This means showing any evidence you have to prove the condition. In that case, the personality disorder may affect things.

Everything is pointless until you see a NARSUM. When that comes out, take advantage of your IMR and full appeal time. You will be able to see your C&P exam notes at this time and be able to see what the doc said. If there is a strong enough case to have PTSD added as a referred condition, go ahead and appeal. Even if it is not enough for a MEB referral, I would still appeal to have it added as a DX to your NARSUM. Get it in the record and go from there.

Remember, the purpose of the MEB is to gather a full and complete record of your medical conditions. It is not to determine your fitness. That is the job of the PEB. The MEB may disagree with you, but that does not matter because your appeal information will go forward and be seen by the PEB. They will make the decision.

Work on getting as much together as you can now, and then when the time to appeal comes, you will be ready.

Thanks for the advice. In taking your advice, I'll wait and see what the VA psych doc says about the PTSD and push forward from there.

Thanks again!

First i just want to say that these are my own personal views, and do not reflect the US Army, DOD or the Obama admin.

That being said, i only had to read a few posts to realize you where getting duped by this Army's new pressure to cut benefits for PTSD sufferers. You see, there has been a trend lately of switching a soldiers Diagnosis from PTSD, which is a standard 50% minimum disability rating (a good amount of $) to Anxiety, which usualy has a 10% rating (Way less $)
Even going as far as to give them JUST a personality disorder or Adjustment disorder, which are viewed as preexisting condition, meaning NO Benefits are paid out.

Sorry if I'm just reiterating some thing someone already said, but i couldnt wait another second without waiving a red flag that says, "THEYRE TRYING TO SCREW YOU!"

Heres a site to back up the info; www.vva.org/ppd-faq.html

Hope all goes well, LOL, i know i posted this exact same thing in another thread, but it seemed to fit, so i just copied & paste* Hope this helped!
Gritz.

First i just want to say that these are my own personal views, and do not reflect the US Army, DOD or the Obama admin.

That being said, i only had to read a few posts to realize you where getting duped by this Army's new pressure to cut benefits for PTSD sufferers. You see, there has been a trend lately of switching a soldiers Diagnosis from PTSD, which is a standard 50% minimum disability rating (a good amount of $) to Anxiety, which usualy has a 10% rating (Way less $)
Even going as far as to give them JUST a personality disorder or Adjustment disorder, which are viewed as preexisting condition, meaning NO Benefits are paid out.

Sorry if I'm just reiterating some thing someone already said, but i couldnt wait another second without waiving a red flag that says, "THEYRE TRYING TO SCREW YOU!"

Hope all goes well, LOL, i know i posted this exact same thing in another thread, but it seemed to fit, so i just copied & paste* Hope this helped!
Gritz.

My adjustment disorder was rated @ 30% alone which if I didn't have any other conditions I still would've been retired

That being said, i only had to read a few posts to realize you where getting duped by this Army's new pressure to cut benefits for PTSD sufferers. You see, there has been a trend lately of switching a soldiers Diagnosis from PTSD, which is a standard 50% minimum disability rating Not 100% true (a good amount of $) to Anxiety, which usualy has a 10% rating This is not true. (Way less $) Even going as far as to give them JUST a personality disorder or Adjustment disorder, which are viewed as preexisting condition, meaning NO Benefits are paid out. This is not true at all!!

Gritz.

First, "just copying and pasting" into threads is really not something we do here. We try and answer all questions with specific information.

Second, I don't think you have all of your facts straight. PTSD and adjustment disorder are rated under the same criteria. The VASRD rates PTSD and Adjustment Disorder exactly the same. They rate it on social/employment impact. The big difference is that PTSD get's a initial minimum rating of 50% for the first six months. After that it goes to whatever the rating criteria says for their specific social/employment impacts. As the previous poster said, I also was rated at 30% for adjustment disorder.

I do have many issues with DOD and how they handle BH issues, but I do not just throw stuff out there. I post facts. Yours is not. I went to the link you posted, and the information it statistics it is relying on is from 2010. Things have again changed a lot from then. Numbers are always changing and you have to read the actual regulations.

Third, the Army does not rate conditions, the VA does.

From personal experience with some of Gritz's statements, he is sort of correct. The mental health issues in the Army are a grey area still, and A LOT of things still need fixing. i.e. Forensic Psychology at Madigan Hospital @ JBLM. I was part of that fiasco and it delayed my retirement by an estimate of 6 months.
I had been diagnosed by 3 docs to have PTS/PTSD, all stated in my medical records. The DoD changed my claim from PTSD to Cognitive Disorder NOS as stated on my first NARSUM. Due to my TBIs, we knew I already had a cognitive disorder alone from that, it had nothing to do with my MH issues.
Fast forward a few months-they bring in a crew of civilian Psychologists and Psychiatrists to review all cases that went through the Forensic Psychology Dept. at JBLM, the VA already said PTSD, the DoD said Cognitive Disorder... So I had to go through another round of testing and appointments with the civilians, who were great by the way, and they gave another diagnosis as Major Depressive Disorder and Mild Anxiety Disorder, which I totally agree with.

You see, I have Borderline PTSD. One day I test as having PTSD, the next would be depression and severe anxiety, the next would be mild depressive and anxiety... My case was pretty difficult to wade through especially with having my TBIs to complicate any definitive diagnosis.

The DoD will always think their diagnosis, but in the end the VA rated it as PTSD due to their 4 diagnosis including theirs. You will be rated as what the VA finds that you are, if you question the diagnosis, that is your right.

The VA will not take into account of their statement of "seeking diagnosis of PTSD" that is a personal opinion, which can not be taken into account. All VA ratings are based on facts, not someone who did a stupid thing like that putting it into your medical record.

Due to you wanting to set the record straight and get a correct diagnosis is commendable and I hope things go well for you!

From personal experience with some of Gritz's statements, he is sort of correct. The mental health issues in the Army are a grey area still, and A LOT of things still need fixing. i.e. Forensic Psychology at Madigan Hospital @ JBLM. I was part of that fiasco and it delayed my retirement by an estimate of 6 months.
I had been diagnosed by 3 docs to have PTS/PTSD, all stated in my medical records. The DoD changed my claim from PTSD to Cognitive Disorder NOS as stated on my first NARSUM. Due to my TBIs, we knew I already had a cognitive disorder alone from that, it had nothing to do with my MH issues.
Fast forward a few months-they bring in a crew of civilian Psychologists and Psychiatrists to review all cases that went through the Forensic Psychology Dept. at JBLM, the VA already said PTSD, the DoD said Cognitive Disorder... So I had to go through another round of testing and appointments with the civilians, who were great by the way, and they gave another diagnosis as Major Depressive Disorder and Mild Anxiety Disorder, which I totally agree with.

You see, I have Borderline PTSD. One day I test as having PTSD, the next would be depression and severe anxiety, the next would be mild depressive and anxiety... My case was pretty difficult to wade through especially with having my TBIs to complicate any definitive diagnosis.

The DoD will always think their diagnosis, but in the end the VA rated it as PTSD due to their 4 diagnosis including theirs. You will be rated as what the VA finds that you are, if you question the diagnosis, that is your right.

The VA will not take into account of their statement of "seeking diagnosis of PTSD" that is a personal opinion, which can not be taken into account. All VA ratings are based on facts, not someone who did a stupid thing like that putting it into your medical record.

Due to you wanting to set the record straight and get a correct diagnosis is commendable and I hope things go well for you!

Good to see you're back Grizz!!

:) Glad to be back, life slowed down so I can get back to it!

Psychiatric diagnosis is not nearly as "scientific" as we would all like to think, and at times politics does come into play. My advice is to take the time to explain to every examiner how you are doing and what impact things have on your life. Most of the time this will work out in your favor - if it doesn't than use the processes to get it changed.

Having done C&P's in the past, and having worked with many dedicated professionals who still do, I believe that the majority of the time they want to present your symptoms not only fairly, but also to give you the benefit of the doubt and may even borderline act as an advocate. Mistakes happen, as do intentional misrepresentations, but from the C&P diagnosis side, I think they are trying to give their best guess, and this is absolutely dependent on the information you give them.
When my daughter was 2-3, the preschool tested her, and thought she had some developmental issues - no she just didn't like talking to strangers (testers) - she's really very bright. If you don't give the examiner what they need to get to a good diagnosis, then they may not get there on their own.
Meant to help somewhere in there, kind of got lost. Bob

Well put Bob!

Gritz.

Also take the fact that there are some out their that see the potential of mental health being the green light to get medically retired or medically separated!

Trust me when i say that there are a few ( VETS AT THE VA ALSO) that go into MH exam with extreme exaggeration

Gritz.

First, "just copying and pasting" into threads is really not something we do here. We try and answer all questions with specific information.

Second, I don't think you have all of your facts straight. PTSD and adjustment disorder are rated under the same criteria. The VASRD rates PTSD and Adjustment Disorder exactly the same. They rate it on social/employment impact. The big difference is that PTSD get's a initial minimum rating of 50% for the first six months. After that it goes to whatever the rating criteria says for their specific social/employment impacts. As the previous poster said, I also was rated at 30% for adjustment disorder.

I do have many issues with DOD and how they handle BH issues, but I do not just throw stuff out there. I post facts. Yours is not. I went to the link you posted, and the information it statistics it is relying on is from 2010. Things have again changed a lot from then. Numbers are always changing and you have to read the actual regulations.

Third, the Army does not rate conditions, the VA does.

Indeed, I concur with ranger2992's assessment and comments. :)

As PEB Forum members, we all try our best to provide specific case-by-case factual-based information whether personal and/or doctrinal albeit limited to unofficial and non-legal advice.

To that extent, if the information is personal-based then it is opinionated feedback and the reader is presented with "as is" single-sided comments. If the information is doctrinal-based then the replier should vet it prior to a posted presentation.

By the way, all of the aforementioned comments are personal-based feedback. ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Ranger,Griz,
Regarding PTSD vs Anxiety disorders. Please take a look at my posted NARSUM. PTSD claim, VA examiner said not in combat, that i denied stressors, etc. But still wrote up anxiety for what appears 50% (which i disagree w... should be 30 level. thanks

Ranger,Griz,
Regarding PTSD vs Anxiety disorders. Please take a look at my posted NARSUM. PTSD claim, VA examiner said not in combat, that i denied stressors, etc. But still wrote up anxiety for what appears 50% (which i disagree w... should be 30 level. thanks

Kind of confused? Where is your NARSUM posted? You are disagreeing with a 50% rating and are looking for 30%?

The rating should be based on social impairment. When you have attacks, what are the impacts? Do you think the rating should be for PTSD? Did it come from combat?

Good questions Joe, @27CabinFever please post the info from the NARSUM. I agree with Joe questioning your reasoning the rating of 50% should be 30%, normally the DoD shoots to undercut Service Members due to it not making financial sense for the DoD to give a higher rating which costs them money. I am out on the ledge here and without seeing the NARSUM, I agree that the DoD/VA rated correctly. You may think you are not that bad off, but you quite possibly could be.