When do you request formal board

MJ6495

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
After reading posts on here, I am more confused then ever on certain steps. I was found unfit by the IPEB for cervical spine injury and radiculopathy. I also have 3 herniated discs in my low back, but was not found unfit for that condition, even though it is now worse than my neck injury. I have had two fusions done on my neck, and still have unresolved pain. I appealed to the MEB to have my back added as unfit and lost that appeal, actually got the response back within 12 hours of submitting my appeal.
My question is, when do you request a formal PEB? If they are going to medically retire me I want my back added to the unfit condition. My surgeon has already stated I need surgery on my back, which of course has been denied by Ft. Stewart. My packet is still at the VA for ratings, has been there for over 60 days. Do I wait for my 199 to come back to request the formal board, or did I already miss the opportunity?

After 199 comes back for you to sign is when you can request for formal.

The IPEB must meet first. The IPEB is required to consider ALL conditions. If you believe they missed an unfitting condition then you file for a FPEB.

I suggest you go to the resource section of this website and find your service's guidance on unfitting conditions. The guidance your service has established along with medical documentation will be the basis for a successful FPEB.

My formal board is now set for September 14 out at Ft. Sam Houston. Not sure what happens now, my understanding is that I meet my counsel the day prior to the board? Has anyone else been through this process?

The IPEB must meet first. The IPEB is required to consider ALL conditions. If you believe they missed an unfitting condition then you file for a FPEB.

I suggest you go to the resource section of this website and find your service's guidance on unfitting conditions. The guidance your service has established along with medical documentation will be the basis for a successful FPEB.
Does filing for a FPEB mean you have to go to Randolph to attend a hearing or is this another board that reviews your case file and then makes a determination?

USAF FPEB are conducted at Randolph AFB. It is a TDY.

It is a TDY for you. You will go arrive the day before to meet with you AF appointed counsel, if you desire counsel. Which is usually a great idea.

It is a TDY for you. You will go arrive the day before to meet with you AF appointed counsel, if you desire counsel. Which is usually a great idea.
For me to be appointed counsel, I have to contact them ahead of time correct? If so, does anyone have any contact information? Thank You!

This info is easy to find using Goggle.

contact the Office of the Airmen's Counsel at DSN 665-0739 or Commercial at (210) 565-0739. Individuals can also e-mail the counsel at [email protected].