When is combat related decided?

landmine

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I just completed the MEB portion and have 6 conditions I am being evaluated for, 2 being looked at that do not meet retention standards. PTSD & MDD and lower back, both are combat related. Is there something I should be looking for on my MEB proceedings or in the NARSUM?

I just want to be on the ball if the PEB finds me unfit so I can begin whatever the process would be for CRSC. I know I have to apply for it thru the Army, but I do not know if this is something that only starts once a SM is found unfit or if is something that needs to be initiated during the MEB/PEB proceedings?

Thanks for any advice brothers and sisters!

landmine

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Ok. That is what I was thinking, I've read some other posts with service members having this problem so I'd like to catch it asap if this happens. Thanks for the input.

RonG

Registered Member
CRSC eligibility requirements include:
--Have approved VA disability rating(s)

To qualify for CRSC you must:

• be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
  • be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
  • waive your VA pay from your retired pay
  • file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service
Each service has a CRSC Branch or Department (Navy and USMC combined). The application procedures and documents required and recommended are clearly shown at the sites. A search engine can easily find the different web pages when one uses a term (example) such as Army CRSC applications.

The various CRSC boards approve or deny applications. They based their decisions on the documents the retiree presents, of which, the VA ratings are paramount.

RonG

Registered Member
I agree, not that my affirmation is important.

Additionally, not all physical disabilities incurred in a combat zone are considered combat related.

landmine

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks for the feedback. RonG, that brings me to another question since you mentioned that not all physical disabilities incurred in a combat zone are considered combat related. One of other conditions waiting to be rated on by the VA is for a broken wrist that occurred during a patrol.

I know that this will have nothing to do with the PEB since it is not one of the conditions that referred me to the MEB, however is it important to make sure the VA gets the information correct of this being an injury that was combat related? Or would it not matter? Also, could a broken wrist that occurred during a patrol be somehow not considered combat related?

RonG

Registered Member
I agree that a broken wrist that occurred during a patrol would be combat related. I should add that I have never served on a CRSC board.

An example of an injury/disability that might not be considered combat related: Knee injury while playing a sport at a base camp. There are better examples, but they escape me at this moment.

The Army's Human Resource (HR) Command has some good info regarding combat related and CRSC. The linked page discusses some of the factors mentioned here:
https://www.hrc.army.mil/TAGD/Combat Related Definitions

The VA ratings are very important in the assessment part of CRSC by the services. It is my understanding from recent reviews of VA manuals that the CRSC boards have a path in which to request additional information from the VA, electronically I suspect.

I did not experience some of the challenges often mentioned when combat related is discussed. Most of my disabilities are associated with exposure to Agent Orange while serving in Vietnam.