Wrist fracture

Jeffb_79

PEB Forum Regular Member
1st of, hello everyone. I came across this board the other day during my research and it's been a great help so far!

Here's a brief overview:
I'm a CTT1 (1734 NEC - electronic warfare tech) w/ 10 years active.
I suffered a pretty severe wrist fracture about a year and a half ago. So far I've undergone 2 surgeries (1 for a bone graft, plate and screws, the 2nd to remove the plate and screws). I could be facing a 3rd surgery soon to repair ligament damage and possibly fuse the wrist. The bone itself is healed; however, due to cartilage damage in the wrist joints I have almost zero range of motion and am still in a bit of pain.
I know my time for the board is coming soon. I'm almost positive I'll be found fit for duty, but will probably fail my sea duty screening. My main limiting factor right now being that I can't move my wrist at all. I've been told if I can't do a normal push up, that would be grounds for the unfit for world wide deployability.

My 1st surgeon was an Army doc. According to him, the Army allows its soldiers w/ similar injuries to do push ups for the PFA on their knuckles. Is there anything in writing that allows us to do the same?

I know I'm grasping for straws now, but I'm not ready to give up just yet.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
CTT1

You would wnat to find the regs for fitness standards, they might not go in to details on wrist postion & may only define what a push 'is'. Then you should be good. Doesn't the NAVY have waivers for aspects of the fitness test?

I have a similar problem , though I have flexation, I do not have much more the 5# before it is very painful (like pushing open a heavy door hurts). I have to use my knuckles to help myself off the ground when seated or whatever.

The Navy has waivers, but from what I can tell so far, I could only use it for 3 PFA tests before I would have to go to the PEB again or accept an admin discharge.
The CO of the command has the ability to approve a long term waiver, but that waiver is only applicable under that CO at that command. If the waiver isn't granted by the next CO/command I would have to go back to the board again.
According to the Navy's PFA instruction:
(a) Participant shall begin in "front-leaning rest"
position, palms of hands placed on floor directly beneath or
slightly wider than shoulders. Both feet together on floor.

I'm just curious if there's anything out there that says the pushups may be done with closed fists on the knuckles.

According to the Navy's PFA instruction:
(a) Participant shall begin in "front-leaning rest"
position, palms of hands placed on floor directly beneath or
slightly wider than shoulders. Both feet together on floor.

I'm just curious if there's anything out there that says the pushups may be done with closed fists on the knuckles.

From what you found, does not look like you can. But you could always try & if they mention something, just say you have wrist limitations and thats how you have done it in the past without issues...

Or maybe have a doc write something real quick on script pad saying something to the effect. In case someone does ask.