10 day response time?

TheBears

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I applied for SSDI on April 18 and received a letter yesterday stating I have ten days to call as well at response to the three pages worth of questions from the State Social Security office how my condition affects my daily living activities. My condition is for PTSD which I am 100% from the VA. I don't have a lawyer my wife and a wounded warrior rep help me apply for it. Is this a step on the right direction and should it be much longer for an answer.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
This is standard. Make sure you have it done and turned in before day ten. I was first denied due to this. Ironically, I took ten days leave and upon return I had the ten day notice in my mailbox. I tried to turn it in day 11 but they denied anyway.

TheBears

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
This is standard. Make sure you have it done and turned in before day ten. I was first denied due to this. Ironically, I took ten days leave and upon return I had the ten day notice in my mailbox. I tried to turn it in day 11 but they denied anyway.
Thanks Tony for the reply, once I send the function report what will be the next step is this even close to ending the process?

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Could be close if DDS approves. When I was at this
Point in my process (second time filing) DDS did one final thing, they scheduled me with a neurologist to check my level of functioning. After that I was approved.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
This is a SOP for SSDI. Normally you and a significant other get a form at the same time. Both forms need to reflect the same level of disability, but in your own words.

TheBears

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I received 2 separate forms to be sent back within 10 days one is the function report and the other one is a supplemental pain questionnaire. I asked my wife if she got anything like you mentioned @chaplaincharlie and she has not received anything. Would I also have a medical test done I didn't receive anything on that.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Medical test are not always indicated. Sometimes the medical records clearly establish that the criteria is met (or not met). I'm surprised your wife did not receive a form also. Perhaps it will come later or not at all.

Sgt zo

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
bear, for me, I got the three questionnaires in the same packet. mine was not addressed to my wife but it asked for someone that is familiar with my condition and she was the best person to do that. we compared notes and both responses look pretty much the same except in our own words.

builtgypsy

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Every packet I got with paperwork (function report, mental health, whatever) said that the case could be dismissed if the paperwork wasn't replied to within 10 days. I never wanted to stress test them on how literally they took that timeline, so I tried my best to get it all filled out within that window.

I took it to mean the post date when the letter was back in the mail to be returned should be within 10 days.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I agree with getting the forms back in the time requested. Too much is at stake to play chicken with SSA.

Sgt zo

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Every packet I got with paperwork (function report, mental health, whatever) said that the case could be dismissed if the paperwork wasn't replied to within 10 days. I never wanted to stress test them on how literally they took that timeline, so I tried my best to get it all filled out within that window.

I took it to mean the post date when the letter was back in the mail to be returned should be within 10 days.

I faxed mine back on the 8th day and mailed it as well, you should be good.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
It's a very helpful practice to forward all correspondence back to the SSA via USPS certified return receipt mail!

Unfortunately, the US Mail does get misplaced at times and you don't want to be a victim of such occurrences. If it does occur then you shall have valid proof of mailing the required documentation back to the SSA when they decide to potentially implement any unfavorable actions. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">