10 weeks no answer.

LetMeGo1979

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hello all. Great site. I've been reading up on all your stories for the past few weeks. I'm anxiously awaiting an answer from Randolph concerning my MEB. Here's the breakdown...

9.5 yrs TIS, E-6, USAF

MEB conditions as stated on narrative
1. Venous insufficiency both lower extremities (varicose veins)
2. Degenerative disk disease
3. Attention deficit disorder (ADD)
4. Major depression, single episode
5. Allergic rhinitis
6. Chronic hemorrhoids

Timeline:
Oct 99 - Varicose vein stripping while on active duty
Jun 07 - Diagnosed ADD
13 Feb 08 - complain of leg pain (both)
13 Feb 08 - AF Form 469 (profile) put in for no running and jumping, block 31 signed for no TDY, PCS, Mobility, deployment
20 Feb 08 - AF Form 469 dated 13 Feb 08 trumped by new 460 put in prescribing "medical compression hose with PT uniform", no block checked allowing TDY, Deployment, etc.
25 Feb 08 - Tasked with deployment to Iraq, signed notification memo
4 Mar 08 - MRI showed disk degeneration at L4-L5, small central disk protrusion
26 Mar 08 - Returned to clinic complaining about leg symptoms to include, now, back pain, new 469 put in with block 37 checked exempting TDY, PCS, etc.
9 Apr 08 - Local IPEB board refers to Randolph
9 Apr 08 - Commander's recommendation (return to duty) submitted
11 Apr 08 - submitted my LOR consisting of six pages (separate), wife's LOR, and father's (USAF ret.) LOR
14 Apr 08 - Package sent to Randolph
Present - No word.

The compelling issue in this case is that my commander and I disagree on my retention. He wants to return me to duty and I want to end my career. He never signed any of the profiles...not one. He wrote a personal statement on the MEB profile and signed it, but made sure to make his statement known.

The only reason I can think of why I will be at ten weeks on 24 Jun, is that my commander lied in his recommendation letter. I submitted evidence along with my letter showing so. He put in his letter that I went to medical personnel and my squadron with a duty limiting condition (DLC) only after I was tasked with the deployment to Iraq. I'm assuming that he wasn't aware that I had a copy of the unsigned 469 from 13 Feb showing DLC. The tasking came down on 25 Feb. He is attempting to smear my credibility and I showed evidence to the contrary.

If it comes down to FPEB, I believe if I show this evidence to counsel along with the medical evidence of my condition(s), I can sway the board to see through the deceit of my commander's letter.

Personally, I believe the entire MEB/profile process is flawed. Putting this much power in commander's hands will kill someone someday. Since commanders aren't privy to seeing the medical evidence, only condition, they judge based on this perceived character.

Once I hear back, I will let everyone know. Wow have I read too many AFIs over the past three months!

LetMeGo1979,

Welcome!

You raise some important points about the Commander's input. In many cases, it makes sense that the Commander should have a good idea of your conditions impact on your duty performance. However, not all Commanders observe or are in a good position to judge. Sometimes, Servicemembers serve in remote locations or are not directly observed. In some cases (sounds like yours) they just get it wrong.

That is why the Formal PEB is an important protection, to allow the Servicemember the right to challenge any adverse findings. Submitting evidence about the true nature of your condition is the way to address erroneous Commander's letters/Non-Medical Assesments.

Hope everything goes well with your case.

10 weeks no answer. (Findings back!!)

Just received my AF Form 356 on Friday. Took 11.5 weeks at AFPC.

TDRL @ 30%
21% Deep vein venous insufficiency both lower extremities
10% Chronic lower back pain, w/ degenerative disc disease at L4-5

My wife and I's faith in the system is renewed. We are fully accepting the findings. My health has changed significantly from the MEB, however we are going to cross that bridge at my 18-month reeval.

Thank you for this site. It continues to be very helpful.

LetMeGo,

Congratulations! I hope everything else goes smoothly...

And your very welcome! Glad to help.

Congratulations to you! I noticed your timeline. Are you a part of the pilot program?

Congratulations. May I please ask you a question....I am waiting for my answer from the board for chronic low back pain L-1 thru S-1...were you on con leave for any period of time and did they account for that???

Thank you.

Chinook

Congratulations. May I please ask you a question....I am waiting for my answer from the board for chronic low back pain L-1 thru S-1...were you on con leave for any period of time and did they account for that???

No problem. What is interesting about my back finding was that it was immediately after my initial MRI.

Since the day my package left for Texas, I've tried physical therapy, epidural injections, and have all the major medications (to include Lyrica which is a pain to get approved through TRYCARE) all to no avail. Right now I'm on six Lortabs a day for the pain.

So I was very fortunate for the MEB to give me any % based on the lack of evidence. It's safe to say they will have a lot more information come my first 18-month check-up. I'm scheduling surgery once we get settled in our new location.

BTW, to answer the other question...I am not a part of the pilot program. I am in contracting which is now on the AF's critical skills list. That may be the reason it took so long.

I'll keep posted. If anyone has any more questions please let me know. I will never forget how dark the process was for me. I felt like Dorothy trying to get in to see the Oz.:confused:

Hey there,

Are you still around and checkin the forum? I just wanted to see how you are doing. How are the pain meds, etc.

All settled in?

Chinook-still awaiting IPEB

Greetings. Wanted to update those interested in my case.

I outprocessed the base and began permissive TDY at the end of July/early Aug. We relocated to another base and I accepted a position in civil service. I did receive my first AF retirement check yesterday. I'm awaiting a response from VA on their findings.

I did the Pre-Departure VA Program to try and finish my processing before my retirement. The process has gone smoothly...so far.

I went in for the physical evaluation to a regional medical center and they poked/proded me.

I will let everyone know what their findings are when it arrives.

Sorry for not responding sooner. I've been busy getting everything processed after retirement.

It seems that your orders came through quickly after you accepted your findings. How long was it before your orders came through and what was your date of separation timeframe? I have been waiting for a month now on orders since my findings and acceptance. Just curious if anyone else is struggling to get their orders.

Another question that I have is: since it has taken so long for my orders to be processed, will my 60 days start from the day they get processed now and then I will have to wait 60 more days before separating?

Hopefully, this is not confusing but I would like to see the timeline from some of you after acceptance.

Thanks,
Justin