100% Permanent and Total ?

frannysue

PEB Forum Regular Member
How can I tell if my VA rating is 100% permanent and total, or just 100%? I did not know that dependant education benefits were available. I have a son in college who is drowning in student loans, and I just learned that if I am 100% P & T, then he is eligible for a stipend. Is there something written on any of my paperwork that is supposed to say that?

I have an automatic 100% because I am in cancer treatment, which I know is considered a temporary rating until I finish treatment, but I wont finish treatment for another 5 years.
I have many more percentages for other conditions. I have another 30% rating for depression, 2 more 20% ratings for musculosketal issues, and a total of 7 ratings at 10%.

During my cancer surgery the doc accidently cut a motor nerve which has left me with very limited use of my left arm. It severely impacts my life, but I only got 10% for it, because it doesnt fit neatly into a ratings category.

Anyway, does anyone know if I am 100% P&T, or how I can get that determination? I work with a man who has far less of a disability than I do, but since he is P&T his kids are getting very generous stipends to go to school. I feel like I missed out on something and dont know what to do now.

Thanks for the help!

in your original package they would have included the language p/t. also they would have included the dea application for dependents. you can call the 800 #.they will be able to say for sure. they did the same thing to my husband. if they didnt give it to you you can start the process now. gather all your evidence proving your unable to work, and any proof that will show your going to have your issue for more than a year. you'll want statements from docs, employers, and family saying how your sc keeps you from working and the doc statement should state the prognosis of your condition and its effect on your ability to provide for your family. remember its on you to feed them your case. it took them 3 months to rate my husband from 100% to 100% p/t iu. when you go for your exam take your letters and other evidence especially from your other docs good luck

Thanks for the answer, but it actually raises another question. I am working. I work for the federal government and have suitable accomodations. However, my coworker is the one who told me about the p&t. He is not only gainfully employed but he makes a lot of money! His 2 kids both get dea. Do you need to be unemployable? I didnt think so.
Thanks!

As Mas stated if you are 100% P&T it will state that in your letter, you can be rated 100% and not be P&T. Only P&T and IU are eligible for spouse and child education benefits. If you are P&T scheduler you can still work, as your coworker seems to be. People that are unable to work due to service connected disabilities and meet the requirements (there are several) may be granted IU (Individual Unemployable), many rules then apply such as you can only make so much money a year.

If your rated at 100% PT you get the benefits, if your rated 100% IU (individually unemployable) you do not. You can be rated both P/T and IU. The IU is a extra schedular, you must be rated at a minimum of 70 or 80 percent to get it. It bridges the gap between your rating and 100%. You must be unemployable. This does not include meanial work, or sheltered work. To get 100% P/T your Service Connected disability must be permanently disabling. That's why you need as much evidence as possible. It is possible to get both P/T and IU. If your P/T and IU or just IU with PTSD, you cannot work. If your IU for anything you cannot work (gainfully). I am not clear, but I think for conditions other than PTSD, you can work if your P/T alone. There is almost nothing to loose in applying, caveat is, they can concievably lower your rating upon C/P exam for the determination. I would call and ask. If your not I would prepare your evidence carefully and apply. Good luck to you.

I just re-read your post. Your going through treatment for another five years may be enough to qualify you. I believe the time frame of permanent is more than one year. Alot of people think that permanent and total means they will never have to go through another c&p exam, and this is far from true. They can call you in at anytime to re-evaluate you, as in the case of Cancer, because people go into remission, and become considered cured. Is your cancer service connected by the VA? As for your arm, if it severly effects your life, then 10% is insufficient. They should not only consider your ROM, but the effects of the SC injury. Is your arm SC? I would apply for increase if you have to apply for P/T, do it at the same time (include all your issues like your scars, when you file no matter what your VSO says) failing to include all your issues, should it have to go to the board of appeals, is as though you abandoned whatever you didn't complain about, and may not be heard. Good luck

I was in the military for 26 years so everything is service connected! I have 13 years of acdu and was mobilized as a reservist when I got diagnosed with cancer, so I was put on TDRL. At my 18 mos re-eval for the PEB, the Marine Corps gave me PDRL.

I just reread my VA rating, and they gave me 100% for the cancer but lumped in all the related conditions into that single rating, such as the total mastectomy, removal of lymph nodes, scars, treatment related fatigue, chemo caused cognitive dysfunction, etc... The cancer may go into remission, but the remainder of those are permanent.
I have missed my 1 year window to appeal, but I am not disagreeing with the rating. I would like to appeal the lack of P&T, do you know if I am bound to the same 1 year time frame? How can I appeal something I was unaware of? If I get P&T, I would like it to be backdated. Nothing has changed, my cancer is incurable, and may recur at any time in my life, I've known that since day one. Thats why I am on such extended therapy. Can they, will they, back date it? My son is a senior in college, so getting P&T after he graduates doesnt help me at all.
thanks!

You don't have to appeal. Appeals take forever. Submit a new claim seeking P/T. When you do ask for the other considerations you need like scars. Gather as much evidence as possible from your oncologist, and other MD's to support your contention that you are effected long term. Find a good VSO, and develope your claim carefully, the VA will need your evidence spoon fed. It stinks that they didn't automatically rate you that way.

I know it's frustrating, keep in mind my husband was rated P/T two months after he applied. You'll also want to get ready to prove he is a full time student, as well as meeting the age (birth certificate) even if he's in deers.

Good luck to you.

I know this thread was back from Feb but I was doing some digging and found myself here. I have 2 questions, one of them being off thread topic but related to concern with on thread topic question.

My question is, what are the exact technicalities, if possible, to working while schedular 100% or P&T?

My case is I'm on some strong stuff that I know helps me keep in sync with reality. I was classified paranoid schizophrenia, when I miss a day or two, life is hell, anger problems, breaking things, can't concentrate, can't drive, can't socialize, terrifying halucinations... then I take my meds, knocks me out, I wake up... usually am a lot better.

I still want to pay my taxes though and contribute to the country somehow, since the government essentially owns me. I locked in part B for $117 per month, friends and family say it was a smart move. I was hoping maybe, provided I am constant with taking meds, I could do a limited, part time job, so I'm making a little extra money but also paying taxes, which currently I do not, which really bothers me.

In my letter, it stated that I could improve so P&T was not awarded, and something strange as well, I was supposed to have my next eval sometime this month. But I never got a letter so I got nervous that I missed it or something, so I called the regional in Johnson City, TN. I was told my next eval is indeed in October but not until 2014. Not sure what changed that since I don't recall being informed of such a change. I was initially placed at 40% just coming out of the military. I had some anger problems and other problems but it wasn't unbearable, still I downplayed it a little in my eval. It got worse within a few years and I was then put at 70%, still downplaying it. I finally snapped several times at work and broke some computer equipment and was later told that day I'd become a liability to the hotel and was let go. I got some advice to not hold back anything so I was rated again and was honest about things and was placed at 100% schedular.

Sorry for the ramble. My second question is kind of off topic but it has to do with the pay for the ratings. I read that VA reps in house and senate were leading the charge to reduce benefits, and now I'm reading soon after that senate worked to give VA compensation the same 3.6% that SSD/SSI is getting. I'm very confused and not sure what to think.

To wrap this up, I *now* realize the name of the website is PHYSICAL evaluation board forum... so I might not have a leg to stand on. Still though, if anyone was any info on either question I would appreciate it.

Sorry if this was just a waste of time :(

My question is, what are the exact technicalities, if possible, to working while schedular 100% or P&T?
Schedular- You are allowed to work (however, if you work at a job that is high stress/difficult, etc., it may indicate that you are not "very disabled" and could eventually be rated at a later re-evaluation (should one happen, see below)

P&T- Same as above, except they won't be re-evaluating you, so should be even less of an issue.

Sorry for the ramble. My second question is kind of off topic but it has to do with the pay for the ratings. I read that VA reps in house and senate were leading the charge to reduce benefits, and now I'm reading soon after that senate worked to give VA compensation the same 3.6% that SSD/SSI is getting. I'm very confused and not sure what to think.

The 3.6 % will be effective as a COLA increase for VA benefits.

Schedular- You are allowed to work (however, if you work at a job that is high stress/difficult, etc., it may indicate that you are not "very disabled" and could eventually be rated at a later re-evaluation (should one happen, see below)

P&T- Same as above, except they won't be re-evaluating you, so should be even less of an issue.

Ah ok, and again I understand this is a physical board so it may be different, but since my rating is 100% mental and 10% physical (not that the rating makes a difference past 100%, but that 10% is nor accurate, I have VERY REAL nerve and back damage, I definitely feel it all over when it crops up, but the MRI they took only showed that I could have surgery done to help but with a 1% chance of neck-down paralysis... no thanks... 1% is too much), if I got a job maybe doing... well it took me 5 minutes or so to type "if I got a job maybe doing" and I'm drawing a blank. I can't stand for too long and I got fired from last job for people/anger issues. Perhaps a medical transcript?

I'm trying to find a way to help my community and pay taxes. Extra income is a side bonus, but that's not what I'm after here. I want to say I pay taxes so I can justify things like voting or voicing concerns for any monetary issues. Without paying taxes, I believe I don't have a leg to stand on, since currently I'm just living on govt payroll.

Maybe that's a flaw in my thought process, not sure.

Oh another thing, I could be wrong but I thought if the 100% was mental, I was not allowed to work, or is that just a rumor? Like I said, provided I take my meds, I usually do ok, if I leave out that the fact that with or without medicine, in ANY given situation I am convinced the person I'm working with is out to get me somehow in some way, so I was thinking if I got a stress/people free job, I might be ok with limited hours, but I'm also thinking they would see that I'm making taxable income of any sort and immediately take 100% away and try to put me on like 30%-40% in spite, if that.

The 3.6 % will be effective as a COLA increase for VA benefits.

Right I get that much. The conflict I had came from the fact congress are in favor of chopping VA budget but also voted to give vets on comp COLA for 2012 on par with SSI/SSD.

That part has me puzzled. Would they in theory award 3.6% COLA and turn right around and reduce compensation across the board by 30%?

Sorry for a long post, again...