100% VA & 100% Army

MSGO22years

Registered Member
I just found out that I've been rated 100% from the VA, and 100% from the army. I have 23 years of service total, but only 15 years of active duty. I am sure they will talk to me about this when the time comes, but my question is do I take the VA check until I'm 60 and then collect my reserve check? Is that even an option? Also I heard there was another combat pay that you can put in for. Does anyone know how you get rated for that special pay?
Thank you for any responses.

Dcmd124

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Here is good article in regards to your CRSC question. It also includes CRDP. http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/comparison.html

Now to the other question: If your VA payment is higher than your Medical Retirement pay, you will only receive the VA portion. If your Medical Retirement Pay is higher, your VA will be offset.

I am assuming that you have your 20 year letter. When you turn 60 or sooner if you have Mob time after Jan 2008, you will then become eligible for CRDP which will give you both you Military Retirement Pay and your full VA pay as well if your VA percentage is higher than 50%.

I posed the same question to DFAS and I was informed that they will not recomputate your retirement pay at age 60. It will be your Medical Retirement Pay.

I hope this helps.

Take care and good luck to you.

MSGO22years

Registered Member
Here is good article in regards to your CRSC question. It also includes CRDP. http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/comparison.html

Now to the other question: If your VA payment is higher than your Medical Retirement pay, you will only receive the VA portion. If your Medical Retirement Pay is higher, your VA will be offset.

I am assuming that you have your 20 year letter. When you turn 60 or sooner if you have Mob time after Jan 2008, you will then become eligible for CRDP which will give you both you Military Retirement Pay and your full VA pay as well if your VA percentage is higher than 50%.

I posed the same question to DFAS and I was informed that they will not recomputate your retirement pay at age 60. It will be your Medical Retirement Pay.

I hope this helps.

Take care and good luck to you.
Thank you !!!!

Warrior644

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I just found out that I've been rated 100% from the VA, and 100% from the army. I have 23 years of service total, but only 15 years of active duty. I am sure they will talk to me about this when the time comes, but my question is do I take the VA check until I'm 60 and then collect my reserve check? Is that even an option? Also I heard there was another combat pay that you can put in for. Does anyone know how you get rated for that special pay?
Thank you for any responses.
Indeed, congratulations on the notification of DoD (Army) and DoVA proposed ratings! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

MSGO22years

Registered Member
I have been doing some more research, and tell me if I'm reading this wrong.

With me getting 100% on both ends,CRDP should kick in and it looks like I should get a paycheck from both entities.

I know with dependents from the VA I should be getting approximately $3600. Then since the Army doesn't pay 100%, they only pay 75%, that comes out to $3750. The way I'm reading it, I should be getting both of these paychecks every month.

And my right on this? Or am I having a pipe dream?

http://militarypay.defense.gov/retirement/concurrent_dod_va.html

Jeep Freak

PEB Forum Veteran
That would be good but it is a pipe dream. I am a little confused on how your pay will work because of the Reserves but I was MEB'd after 20 AD years and 10 years Reserves and National Guard with 80% DoD. I received 75% up until my VA kicked in. I got 90% from the VA and the DoD pay dropped to 57.7% for me because that was what was earned toward retirement.
Sorry

TSgt Twitch

PEB Forum Veteran
aye, your DoD pay from CDRP will not be your disability percentage but your length of service percentage (2.5xnumber of good years) but that is for active duty and/or if you got your 20 year letter i believe. I am not 100% on reserve side.

So you will get the 100% va rating+ your normal length of service ( if 22 years then 55%)

MSGO22years

Registered Member
I got my paperwork today. And I have a few questions about a couple things that I see. My combat code is one. But I was rated 100% for post dramatic stress disorder, how in gods name did that happen. Now can I get screwed over on any other type of benefits because it's not combat code 2 or three? I know what's up to the army if they want to give me CRSC. But I have a feeling with that code, I'm not going to get anything. Do I appeal this and request to change my combat code? I have been waiting for 11 months for this, and I would hate to have to wait another nine months over something that really doesn't matter.
Please advise

TSgt Twitch

PEB Forum Veteran
I'll be honest, I am not 100% sure, but do you get crsc with CDRP all ready? is there anything else they can legally add? I know it does not change your priority for va care, or any of the benefits, or job preference etc, maybe there are benefits I do not know much about like child benefits etc.

MSGO22years

Registered Member
I am in the middle of the IDES program. So I got my VA paperwork, but I have not received it from the army yet. But it says on this paperwork that the Army is going to give me 100%. It states that my PTSD is so bad they are giving me special monthly compensation for it. And then they go ahead and give me a call back code stating that it is not combat related. I just don't understand it. But like I said, if it doesn't make a difference, I'm not to bother appealing. Who the hell wants to appeal a 100% rating. And you know what's going to typo, it was typed up by a government employee. :)

Warrior644

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am in the middle of the IDES program. So I got my VA paperwork, but I have not received it from the army yet. But it says on this paperwork that the Army is going to give me 100%. It states that my PTSD is so bad they are giving me special monthly compensation for it. And then they go ahead and give me a call back code stating that it is not combat related. I just don't understand it. But like I said, if it doesn't make a difference, I'm not to bother appealing. Who the hell wants to appeal a 100% rating. And you know what's going to typo, it was typed up by a government employee. :)
Hmm, indeed an interesting situation...have you received your IPEB findings inclusive of DoD and DoVA proposed ratings yet?

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

fielding87

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you don't mind me asking, how did they determine that you would receive Special Monthly Compensation?

gsfowler

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
This is the bottom line...

You will receive you DoD RESERVE retirement based upon how many points you have when you reach your qualifying retirement age (Typically 60 but there are rules that can reduce that up to five years if you have server on OIF/OEF/ODN orders).

You will receive your DoVA C&P payments once you are released from active duty (have a DD214 in hand)

You may be eligible for combat related special compensation, or even concurrent receipt DoVA and Medical retirement, however there are circumstances to each of those and each case is different.

Combat Eng

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
This is the bottom line...

You will receive you DoD RESERVE retirement based upon how many points you have when you reach your qualifying retirement age (Typically 60 but there are rules that can reduce that up to five years if you have server on OIF/OEF/ODN orders).

You will receive your DoVA C&P payments once you are released from active duty (have a DD214 in hand)

You may be eligible for combat related special compensation, or even concurrent receipt DoVA and Medical retirement, however there are circumstances to each of those and each case is different.
SMC through VA isn't combat related

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">