StaryNight

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi. My husband is Combat Wounded. After an extensive board he finally retired last November
In 2017 We received the 1099 however for this year we did not receive one I’ve gone through DFAS to know avail. I went online to my page to try to print it but it says it isn’t there even though we have signed up for everything to be received electronically
He’s 100% all the way around nontaxable since he officially retired in November. He went from TDRL to PDRL does this mean we don’t get one any longer I apologize I’m just really confused as to where this document is and we are in the process of purchasing a home and I need it and no one at the DFAS is any help whatsoever. They Transfer my calls all over but most of the people they transfer me to are voicemail and no one ever returns the call

I’m sorry I’m a little bit brain fried from this med board because I had to deal with every single thing regarding the med board for him and it was unbelievable we are just happy it’s all behind us now but I am confused on these documents and why no one can help me locate what we need and I apologize if it doesn’t sound like I’m making much sense

They told me I could print the form right off of my pay however there is no option for it it just gives me a message saying it’s not available

Thanks

Hi. My husband is Combat Wounded. After an extensive board he finally retired last November
In 2017 We received the 1099 however for this year we did not receive one I’ve gone through DFAS to know avail. I went online to my page to try to print it but it says it isn’t there even though we have signed up for everything to be received electronically
He’s 100% all the way around nontaxable since he officially retired in November. He went from TDRL to PDRL does this mean we don’t get one any longer I apologize I’m just really confused as to where this document is and we are in the process of purchasing a home and I need it and no one at the DFAS is any help whatsoever. They Transfer my calls all over but most of the people they transfer me to are voicemail and no one ever returns the call

I’m sorry I’m a little bit brain fried from this med board because I had to deal with every single thing regarding the med board for him and it was unbelievable we are just happy it’s all behind us now but I am confused on these documents and why no one can help me locate what we need and I apologize if it doesn’t sound like I’m making much sense

They told me I could print the form right off of my pay however there is no option for it it just gives me a message saying it’s not available

Thanks

First, congratulations on the final receipt of a DoD military PDRL adjudication from the DoD LDES PEB process. I, too, am a combat veteran wounded during OIF 2004. In retrospect, I have been on the TDRL for over four years now albeit I am awaiting PDA approval authentication on my final TDRL Informal PEB Proceedings for placement onto the DoD military PDRL at a DoD 100% disability rating.

Hmm, I shall assume that your husband is currently receiving SSA SSDI federal disability compensation, correct? Also, I shall assume that your husband received a Form SSA-1099-SM (Social Security Benefit Statement) for the 2016 calendar year, but didn't receive a Form SSA-1099-SM for the 2017 calendar year; correct?

If yes to both aforementioned questions, then it would seem that DFAS might not be the best federal agency for resolution of your inquiry. As such, I would suggest that you contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213, or visit your local SSA Field Office for any potential assistance with obtaining the Form SSA-1099-SM. Also, you could directly contact the SSA Headquarters via USPS first class mail to the Office of Central Operations, 1500 Woodlawn Drive, Baltimore, MD 21241-1500. Hope this helps. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
Hello. Thanks. So. He’s not on SSI. Only Dod/VA/CRSC. Tax free

Hope that helps

He just retired in November

I think we’ve been given wrong info. Digging through the mess But it’s been difficult because he’s been in and out of the hospital it’s just the two of us we were also told you didn’t have to file any taxes because of having tax free income I’m just very confused about the whole thing I know I should’ve looked into it more but I’ve been tending to him 24/7 and when the med board finally concluded I put even more into caring for him because that awful med board took so much time away. I dealt with all the docs HQMC PEB etc stuff. I have a serious health issue which made it hard butvwe got through it. Now purchasing ourvperm home (no more moves!) and these docs from DFAS are nowhere

Thanks for your help

I mean SSD. It SSI. Sorry. He’s I’m nothing associated with Social Security administration. It was suggested we put in for it that we never did after everything we went with the med board we just want to go through a whole bunch other stuff and he got the correct/highest ratings for DOD in VA so we just left it at that. Just. Can’t go through another nightmare process. Life’s too short for that insanity again

Hello. Thanks. So. He’s not on SSI. Only Dod/VA/CRSC. Tax free

Hope that helps

He just retired in November

I think we’ve been given wrong info. Digging through the mess But it’s been difficult because he’s been in and out of the hospital it’s just the two of us we were also told you didn’t have to file any taxes because of having tax free income I’m just very confused about the whole thing I know I should’ve looked into it more but I’ve been tending to him 24/7 and when the med board finally concluded I put even more into caring for him because that awful med board took so much time away. I dealt with all the docs HQMC PEB etc stuff. I have a serious health issue which made it hard butvwe got through it. Now purchasing ourvperm home (no more moves!) and these docs from DFAS are nowhere

Thanks for your help
Hello, and you are welcome! Yes, it does indeed help; thanks.

First, I pray that your husband gets better to include yourself also.

Well, since your husband has a combat-related injury finding from the PEB while in the DoD IDES process, his military disability retired pay is exempt from federal income taxation. Also, that means he will not receive a 1099-R Tax Statement each year from DFAS.

DFAS' website states "Military retirees and annuitants receive a 1099-R tax statement either electronically via myPay or as a paper copy in the mail each year. Members can also request additional copies of their 1099-R tax statements in several different ways..." On your husband's monthly eRAS (DFAS-CL7220/148) in the "TAXES" box it should state "You have been exempt from taxes due to your disability status." So, a 1099-R doesn't exist and DFAS' myPay will always give a "No record found" message NA9 statement.

Hmm, have you considered contacting a professional tax office (i.e., H&R Block) or a tax attorney for further assistance on how to proceed with the income document requirement during the purchase of the permanent home? Indeed, your husband's DFAS-CL7220/148 (eRAS) certainly shows his monthly military retiree account information. Maybe obtaining a copy of each eRAS monthly statement for the past 12 months will be enough evidence of proof to show a years income?

In retrospect, I have not received a DFAS 1099-R tax statement upon placement onto the DoD military TDRL in 2014. I, too, wondered why I didn't receive it in 2015 upon filing our federal income taxes. So, I contacted my Retirement Services Office (RSO) at my last military active duty installation in 2015 and she reminded me that I would not receive a DFAS 1099-R due to a combat-related injury finding by the PEB while previously in the DoD IDES process. Hope this helps. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

I mean SSD. It SSI. Sorry. He’s I’m nothing associated with Social Security administration. It was suggested we put in for it that we never did after everything we went with the med board we just want to go through a whole bunch other stuff and he got the correct/highest ratings for DOD in VA so we just left it at that. Just. Can’t go through another nightmare process. Life’s too short for that insanity again
No worries; thanks for the clarification.

Indeed, I totally comprehend; it took me 618 calendar days to complete the DoD IDES process while on military active duty; had to evoke all IDES appeal right opportunities! One positive note was that my SSA SSDI application was approved in 76 calendar days as a "Wounded Warrior" while on military active duty prior to the start of my DoD IDES process.

Maybe at some point, your husband should consider applying for SSA SSDI federal disability compensation if he isn't capable of obtaining and/or maintain employment. If approved, it shall result in additional income for your family at least in my experienced opinion. Take care!

Best Wishes!

You’ve been a tremendous help and thanks for not making me feel like a big dummy! We went through a nightmare med board. He definitely can’t work with his injuries. He rarely leaves the house unless he must see a doctor. I’m trying slowly to get him outside to just breathe fresh air. I’m confident once we move to our perm home He may be able to find some peace but as long as were in this area he wants nothing to do with it is extremely sad but I understand given all he’s been through he had multiple Combat deployments, 2 WIA and was in some of the toughest battles of OIF/OEF starting with the invasion. He was actually doing fairly well considering even with his injuries until we started the med board process And he had to be at Wounded Warrior Battalion that’s where our nightmares begin so bad that his own battalion tried to pull him out but anyhow your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you SO much
We hope we can put this place behind us soon and GO HOME
He refuses to even go aboard Camp Lejeune
I put them on try care standard versus Priam to so we could have a civilian doctors and no referrals it’s worth paying the extra money just to give them that peace of mind of not dealing with the Naval Hospital and that base.
Sad part is I’m a Nurse and he, as a patient is the most easy going compliant person to deal with. He’s so humble and the kind of patient you love having but that place ran him over and wore us out 10 ways to Sunday. I had to fight and advocate like crazy for basic things. I’m glad it’s over but mostly for him. It was heartbreaking and a reality check to many things
But it’s over now
Thanks for everything

Thank you for being the rock beside your wounded warrior. So glad you all are finished and will be getting your due military retirement. I can tell you from personal experience, after 39 plus years as an Army pilot, going thru the Med board was a grind, but well worth it. I wish you both much success and peace in the future. Stay strong! Enjoy each other and savor every day you have left in this earth. God Bless!

You’ve been a tremendous help and thanks for not making me feel like a big dummy! We went through a nightmare med board. He definitely can’t work with his injuries. He rarely leaves the house unless he must see a doctor. I’m trying slowly to get him outside to just breathe fresh air. I’m confident once we move to our perm home He may be able to find some peace but as long as were in this area he wants nothing to do with it is extremely sad but I understand given all he’s been through he had multiple Combat deployments, 2 WIA and was in some of the toughest battles of OIF/OEF starting with the invasion. He was actually doing fairly well considering even with his injuries until we started the med board process And he had to be at Wounded Warrior Battalion that’s where our nightmares begin so bad that his own battalion tried to pull him out but anyhow your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you SO much
We hope we can put this place behind us soon and GO HOME
He refuses to even go aboard Camp Lejeune
I put them on try care standard versus Priam to so we could have a civilian doctors and no referrals it’s worth paying the extra money just to give them that peace of mind of not dealing with the Naval Hospital and that base.
Sad part is I’m a Nurse and he, as a patient is the most easy going compliant person to deal with. He’s so humble and the kind of patient you love having but that place ran him over and wore us out 10 ways to Sunday. I had to fight and advocate like crazy for basic things. I’m glad it’s over but mostly for him. It was heartbreaking and a reality check to many things
But it’s over now
Thanks for everything
No judgements indeed; just want to truly help and lend sound insightful feedback to all when queried.

Again, no worries and you both are quite welcome too!

My heart feels your pain thru my own personal experiences when in the DoD IDES process.

As such, I shall pray that all continues to goes well from now and into the future. Take care!

Best Wishes!