12 YOS how does MEB process work

Nathan.detandt

Registered Member
I'm reading instructions and this forum but every corpsman or doctor I am working with can't fully explain MEB process. I'm terrified of being separated at this point but I'm going into my 5th PRT waiver in 4 years and 2nd consecutive waiver for the same issue. I was hit by a drunk driver and have had back problems ever since.

I appreciate any advice you can share to help me and my family hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

I'm almost done with mine and I still feel I don't have a great understanding of it. Everything you experience will be "in the dark" in the last 6 months i haven't gotten a solid answer out of anyone. The only ones that might give you a good answer or people within the MEB unit or you're PEBLO. I think no one can give you a great definition of the process mainly because the process seems to vary quite widely simply because you might have someone who has PTSD and X,Y, & Z and are still inpatient so it takes longer for them to build the case simply because there is more to compile and be reviewed by VA doctors. That being said. Below is my personal rough time line.

Referred to MEB: 01OCt16
VA appointments: NOV16 (they won't all be on the same day)
forwarded to IPEB: 04DEC16
forwarded to VA: 17JAn17
PEB final Decision: 07MAR17 (60%)
signed Election of Options: 08MAR17

SO thats my process so far. mine seemed to go pretty quickly compared to others. The only thing that would change was that if the PEB decision isn't what you want or your VA rating isn't what you want you can contest those (but only diqualifying disabilities). which seems to add only a month or so to the process.

From your end you'll have you initial meeting with your PEBLO. Then you'll work through a VA rep to construct anything you want to claim. Next you'll go in to the VA doctors according to whatever you have claimed. when everything comes back from that including the physician's report who forwarded you to the MEB. THey will send it to the IPEB (Initial Physical Evaluation Board) Assuming they find you "unfit" they will forwarded to the VA who will evaluate your claims which seems to take 45 days or so right now. then a few days later i got my final decision with disability raiting. now it seems i will have to wait two to four weeks to get my EAS date and have everything finalized. Good luck and keep posting questions!

I have 11 years myself and was about where you are at knowledge wise with this process. I called my PEBLO monthly to get updates even though it always sounded like i was bothering her. I'm still learning myself. It seems thats the only real way to figure this out. Also (i assume navy by "PRT") keep looking at the navy timelines and that where i got most of mine for the marine corps. GOOD LUCK MAN!