13 mths till retirement....feeling lost

Med1983

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I started seeing MH 7 mths ago due to having anxiety, depression and PTSD symptoms. Went outpatient for 2 mths after coming off of maternity leave. On-base MH wanted me to go inpatient but I have a infant at home. I was notified on 23 March that a narsum willl be written and I was given a code 37. My CC stated “ do not retain “ which crushed me. I think he is bias becouse I went past him a year ago and went straight to the Group CC becouse I was being bullied by a coworker and I did did not trust him as a leader to help me. He has not spoke to me since Jan 2020

I had an appt with on- base MH provider 7 April to discuss Narsum she will be writing.... no word since then. I’m freaking out! I had a wonderful career without health issues till coming under my current leadership. My plan was to drop my request for retirement this June 2021 but I can’t while all this is going on. I feel so lost. I’m still working within my AFSC with no restrictions... I never had any MH issues until 7 mths ago and now I feel like I should have never sought help. I should have just kept struggling. How can I still get my pension? I keep frantically looking up MEB timelines and trying to calculate.If a MEB is initiated what can I do to prolong? Thank you for your help

Hello,

When will you have 20 years and are you speaking of 20 years active duty or 20 Good Years in the reserves/NG?
edited: Sorry, I missed the obvious in the title: "13 mths till retirement....feeling lost"

Some of the SMEs who might be able to suggest ways to get to your 20 years are:
@tony292
@chaplaincharlie
@oddpedestrian

Ron

Last edited:
Take some deep breaths... its all going to work out. Your CC statement is just a small portion of the decision. If you have your MH states you can return to duty and if you have buddy statements stating your work is not impacted, then you have a good chance. You will get several chances to consult with legal and multiple thresholds where you can appeal. You can also write a personal statement. As for timing of the process, it varies significantly. Each step along the way you will be given a deadline when something is due. Wait to the very last minute so you can drag it out.

You have lots of chances of making the process use up the 13 months. First of all stop taking leave, all of your terminal leave will count towards your retirement date. Second, every time you get a piece of paper regarding the MEB/PEB process and you get 10 days to reply, take all ten days. Also, appeal at every level star immediately. There are at least 6 levels of appeals, each with their own timeline.

narsum rebuttal
Independent medical review (IMR)
MEB
PEB
IPEB/FPEB
VARR
Disability agency review

it doesn’t really matter what the reason you appeal for. In my case it was that the MEB/PEB was initiated based on a misdiagnosis.

that’s 7. Seven times you can add time to the process to make it 13 more months. Also at some point you can drop a retirement packet. This I can also ask to be retained on active duty until retirement.

Take some deep breaths... its all going to work out. Your CC statement is just a small portion of the decision. If you have your MH states you can return to duty and if you have buddy statements stating your work is not impacted, then you have a good chance. You will get several chances to consult with legal and multiple thresholds where you can appeal. You can also write a personal statement. As for timing of the process, it varies significantly. Each step along the way you will be given a deadline when something is due. Wait to the very last minute so you can drag it out.
I connected legal they said my best bet is to apply for Limited Assignment Status (LAS) however I heard it’s your SQ commander that approves that or is it the Group CC? Either way I’m banking on just applying will add 30 days to my timeline.

You have lots of chances of making the process use up the 13 months. First of all stop taking leave, all of your terminal leave will count towards your retirement date. Second, every time you get a piece of paper regarding the MEB/PEB process and you get 10 days to reply, take all ten days. Also, appeal at every level star immediately. There are at least 6 levels of appeals, each with their own timeline.

narsum rebuttal
MEB
PEB
IPEB/FPEB
VARR
Disability agency review

it doesn’t really matter what the reason you appeal for. In my case it was that the MEB/PEB was initiated based on a misdiagnosis.

that’s 7. Seven times you can add time to the process to make it 13 more months. Also at some point you can drop a retirement packet. This I can also ask to be retained on active duty until retirement.
Thank you for the info. I will start a timeline if they start a MEB so I can get more advice along the journey :-Z

narsum rebuttal
MEB
PEB
IPEB/FPEB
VARR
Disability agency review

Thank you for the info. I will start a timeline if they start a MEB so I can get more advice along the journey:-Z

I would talk to your MH provider about the work situation. You may have to bypass the Sqd/CC again, though that has risk as you have discovered.

narsum rebuttal
MEB
PEB
IPEB/FPEB
VARR
Disability agency review

I just got my IPEB results today and they placed me on TDRL :-( going to formal board of course…. I will also file an appeal up to the SAF. Im at 9mths now ( 6 months if you take out my leave/out processing) how long does it take for the SAF to come back with a decision? I don’t see anyone on the forum in the last year that has gone this far.

I don’t have a solid answer. You are Air Force, I was Army all the way back in 2015. I can tell you that the 3 months of leave and out processing works in your favor. I have no idea what timeline the SAF takes to respond. You still have the option to submit a VARR. That itself will take 2-3 months minimum. The bottom line is take every single day that you can. Every day you are still on active duty counts as a day towards 20. If you accept less, then you will end up short of 20, yet once you reach that point just short of 20, but are retired, you will never be able to overturn it….

I just got my IPEB results today and they placed me on TDRL :-( going to formal board of course…. I will also file an appeal up to the SAF. Im at 9mths now ( 6 months if you take out my leave/out processing) how long does it take for the SAF to come back with a decision? I don’t see anyone on the forum in the last year that has gone this far.
do FPEB. Ask to be in the back of the line. There are a lot of people that want this process over with. You would be surprised at how often just asking works. Appeal and delay every chance you get. My wife is at 19 years and trying to get to 20 too. Also, not sure what its called in the AF but in the Army there is COAD. That's the program where they keep you on even if not found fit. That may work for you. Now here's one that can help that most people don't do. Call your Congressperson and state you are 9 months from hitting your 20 years. You want to hit 20 years to be eligible for CRDP. I have talked to ours in Michigan and they said they will do whatever they can to try to help you hit 20 years. They even said that if it doesn't look like she will hit it to call them and let them know. Higher ups can help you delay things. Your best bet is to appeal to FPEB and hope it takes 6 months to have a hearing. Then if they deny it you still hit your 20 years with leave and PTDY.

I started seeing MH 7 mths ago due to having anxiety, depression and PTSD symptoms. Went outpatient for 2 mths after coming off of maternity leave. On-base MH wanted me to go inpatient but I have a infant at home. I was notified on 23 March that a narsum willl be written and I was given a code 37. My CC stated “ do not retain “ which crushed me. I think he is bias becouse I went past him a year ago and went straight to the Group CC becouse I was being bullied by a coworker and I did did not trust him as a leader to help me. He has not spoke to me since Jan 2020

I had an appt with on- base MH provider 7 April to discuss Narsum she will be writing.... no word since then. I’m freaking out! I had a wonderful career without health issues till coming under my current leadership. My plan was to drop my request for retirement this June 2021 but I can’t while all this is going on. I feel so lost. I’m still working within my AFSC with no restrictions... I never had any MH issues until 7 mths ago and now I feel like I should have never sought help. I should have just kept struggling. How can I still get my pension? I keep frantically looking up MEB timelines and trying to calculate.If a MEB is initiated what can I do to prolong? Thank you for your help
Why not see if your commander will approve you 6 months extra leave for you to meet your 20 year commitment? The worst they can say is no. Maybe contact the wounded warrior program, they have an internship. You could be doing that while on PTDY. Just a thought…

I’m working without any duty limitations and have been this whole time…never placed on duty limiting profile) the IPEB states I can no longer work in my grade/rank. I stepped down from being a Flight Chief in 2020 becouse I would get nervous and cry after meetings. Due to what happened to me in 2019 I struggle being able to talk to men or be alone with them but they say it’s TDRL not PDRL. I’m not on admin only duties ( never have been) I still work as a medic checking in patients assisting the providers to include Covid testing and giving vaccines. I’m so confused :-( I just want to work and receive my pension that I deserve. My abuser got to retire but now I’m having to fight for mine. I’m hoping if I go to the IFEB then keep pushing my time by speaking to the SAFPC at this point. The airforce does not have the COAD option. My new CC stated she would sign a LAS for me but that option was only on the table if my med board came back as Do Not Retain. It came back as TDRL so I’m freaking out. Also two off base mental health providers DX me with PTSD but the military docs have not.

Contracted OAC via email ( kept blowing their phone up with no response) … waiting on them to give me advice on what I should do.

How did it turn out?

How did it turn out?
Good thank god!! while going through all the VA appts My old leadership left and new Commander came in. My PEBLO told me to make an appt with the new Commander and explain my situation to her. I was hesitant becouse I felt so betrayed my leadership due to my previous situation. I had nothing to loose so I took his advice and she ended up being super supportive! Unfortunately it was too late to stop the MEB but she was able to trash the old “ do not retain” and replace it with “ Retain” on the form and even though the board came back with TDRL she reached out to me and submitted a LAS which got approved!! It is scary how much power our leadership has over this process. If I still had my old commander I would have been kicked out 4mths shy of getting my 20 year pension!!!

Good thank god!! while going through all the VA appts My old leadership left and new Commander came in. My PEBLO told me to make an appt with the new Commander and explain my situation to her. I was hesitant becouse I felt so betrayed my leadership due to my previous situation. I had nothing to loose so I took his advice and she ended up being super supportive! Unfortunately it was too late to stop the MEB but she was able to trash the old “ do not retain” and replace it with “ Retain” on the form and even though the board came back with TDRL she reached out to me and submitted a LAS which got approved!! It is scary how much power our leadership has over this process. If I still had my old commander I would have been kicked out 4mths shy of getting my 20 year pension!!!
So glad everything worked out. So at what point can your leadership state they want to retain? I haven’t got to that point yet.

A form 1185 is completed by your Sq commander once the AMRO board recommends a MEB be started. That form is where your sq commander can say he recommends you be retained in the military or not

I am so glad to hear things worked out. A couple things for your knowledge.

1. You would have still been able to retire...it would have been modified to your years. Anything over 15 years the service member is allowed a modified retirement
2. This is not written anywhere..and if you asked they would stick to a written policy response...however, when someone is that close to retirement, the people in the PEB working the orders tend to lean toward getting the person to their 20 when they are that close. The LAS has just come into play over the last 4-5 years and is there for exactly a situation as yours.

Very excited for your future. Best wishes.