16 years and Broken

LadySergeant

Registered Member
I have been struggling with a couple of issues and need advice. I prolapsed my uterus in 2010 while deployed, had to have hysterectomy and cystocele/rectocele repaired. I cannot do anything that places pressure on my pelvic floor. The doctor said he would not clear me to wear body armor ever again. My surgery has failed already, and I will require surgery as soon as I decide my stress incontinence is too bad to bear. I also had bilateral cubical tunnel release one year ago for hand numbness and weakness. I am still having swelling, weakness, and numbness in both hands along with pain and burning down my forearms to my hands. I am a medic, and also a civilian RN, and these symptoms are limiting my ability to start an IV or do other tedious things with my hands. I avoid situations where I would have to carry a litter any distance. I haven't had to fire a weapon in the prone position yet, but I know it is going to be impossible. I don't want to give up, as I've been powering to serve my 20, but I feel so tired and broken. Since I'm medical, I know my doctors are trying to shield me, and I'm higher ranking, but I know if I was to have to perform in an emergency situation I would fail miserably. Can I ask for an MEB? If so, am I likely to get rated at enough to retire, or just separated? Any advice would be appreciated. Recap: bilateral cubical tunnel release which made symptoms worse. Pelvic organ prolapse causing stress incontinence

Lady SGT,

I am currently in the MEB process. I have 34 years service in the NCARNG with 10 years active and 3 years deployed. I had to request my fit for duty and MEB.

Do you have a temp profile?

Do you have a LOD?

Are you active or reserve and what branch?

If you can't make 20 years what is your desired end state?

I have done extensive research and am more than willing to share.

Ask your PCM to put you in for the MEB. Then make sure all of your medical conditions are listed. You need to rate at least 30% disabled from the military to get retirement. For more information concerning this look up CFR 38 Part 4, this will tell you what conditions would equal what percent of disability. I hope this information is useful to you.

Ask your PCM to put you in for the MEB. Then make sure all of your medical conditions are listed. You need to rate at least 30% disabled from the military to get retirement. For more information concerning this look up CFR 38 Part 4, this will tell you what conditions would equal what percent of disability. I hope this information is useful to you.

I, too, had stress incon, but the Army still gave me a "fit" for this issue. They denied surgery, so I went out on my own dime and got fitted for a pessary from a civilian GYN Doc.

The VA rated it at 60% due to my being issued a pessary.

I hope your branch gives you an "unfit" for this as I think the DoD is really jacked up when it comes to female incon issues and your MOS/job duties/physical demands.

nwlivewire

I, too, had stress incon, but the Army still gave me a "fit" for this issue. They denied surgery, so I went out on my own dime and got fitted for a pessary from a civilian GYN Doc.

The VA rated it at 60% due to my being issued a pessary.

I hope your branch gives you an "unfit" for this as I think the DoD is really jacked up when it comes to female incon issues and your MOS/job duties/physical demands.

nwlivewire

NWlivewire,

I also have a pessary ring for my stress incontinence. I'm waiting for the VA to schedule me for a C&P. I was'nt sure if they consider the pessary ring an appliance; so I should get a 60% rating for my pessary ring.

NWlivewire,

I also have a pessary ring for my stress incontinence. I'm waiting for the VA to schedule me for a C&P. I was'nt sure if they consider the pessary ring an appliance; so I should get a 60% rating for my pessary ring.

The VA does consider a pessary a "female appliance", and they can and do award a 60% service connected rating for it.

Like everything else in my claims packet, I enclosed a short (and signed) explanation from my Gyn Doctor (on her letterhead) that stated I was fitted for one and why.

Prior to my being fitted for a pessary, I had undergone a cystodefecography - which was why I was fitted for a pessary.

Apparently, this cystodef test is the (or one of the) "gold standard" test/evaluation levels the VA looks for when awarding this rating.

Even with the cystodef test done, and the evaluations from 2 specialsits (Doctors), the Army refused to allow me to have surgical correction, and said I was "fit" for duty in that current state of UI (!) and prolapse. And when I told my NCM I have Medicare and THEY will fix it (no cost to the Army), the Army turned their back on me and threatened to pull me off of the IDES process. So I could not get repaired without risk of loss of IDES process for the rest of my issues.

The VA rated my UI with female appliance at 60%.

GO ARMY! The men who run the Army medical decisions can really be ignorant of the issues of their female SMs.

Sure glad I no longer have to lift up and wear all that body armor anymore. That was a real pisser to be sure - among soooo many other basic Soldier things I needed to do that this issue impacted me from performing.

nwlivewire

This is most disappointing. I have been trying to somehow hold it all together to make it to my 20 years. I don't think I'm going to make it. Truthfully, I have so much wrong with me, and none of it is going to be a high enough percentage to reach the 30% for conditions that will "prevent continued service". The VA rating will be high, but the severance I would get will all have to be recouped, so I'm going to try and keep trudging along until I either reach 20 years, or I absolutely cannot function anymore.