18 Years 10 months

john123

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have all kinds of problems with back, knees, and other things. My main problem is my back I have a herniated disc and it is on the secal sac (sp) and pinching my nerves. I have had injections and seem to help for a little while. They want to start an MEB but I have almost 19 years and afraid I will not make it to 20 for retirement. Has anyone else been is this situation and it is possible to stay in unitl I hit the 20 year mark.

This might sound bad but I'm sure you could make your MEB last a year if you wanted to,but then again they are getting faster at the process. I would do everything the ask when going threw the MEB but I wouldn't be in a rush if you get what I am saying, like faxing stuff not right away and maybe rescheduling an exam because you are sick lol, MEB typically take about a year that is with people trying to get out as fast as possible.

MY meb has taken 2+ years if it makes you feel better, and that is without any appeals.

even if everything goes perfect an MEB will take 6-9 Months, then there are 2 levels of appeals. The formal board and the Secretary appeal. The first adds 4-8 weeks and the last can add 6 weeks to 18 months, but can be withdrawn at anytime. I do not advocate dishonesty, but at the same time if you would stay in and work currently to your 20 year mark, then fight it as long as you can. Also keep in mind an MEB can find you unfit, and you can accept that, but apply for COAD to stay until 20 years and 1 day. all in all however, if they do not start your MEB for a few weeks, your gonna be fine, with 90% or better certainty.

I was in 18.1 years active when I was put in an MEB. I waited at my max time between each step. and appealed the IPEB. The second IPEB gave my what I was supposed to get. And the dis/sev pay was very attractive. Thinking, with retirement my dependents and I get healthcare... well my kids are almost out of the house, my wife job provides better health options for the same tri-care price, Wife and I go to VA Docs anyway-kids will be out of tri-care soon, I don't shop on base now. I did not see the benefits. Am I missing something? That severance check got us debt free minus the mortgage and with lots to spare, and I get enough from the VA (even when they are recouping the sev.) I feared FPEB may offer something worse. I read a-lot about Obama care, being 30 min drive away from a base, Commisary closings, etc... so I accepted the PEB result (10% navy, 80% VA) and got out at 19 years 1 month and 11 days.

CRDP eligibility at 20 years could have meant $3,000 + more a month. So what is the better deal, a lump severance payment or CRDP/retirement benefits for life? Each will have to make that decision based on the specifics of their situation.

Mike

i am just shy of 18 and dont think ill be able to make it anywhere near 20. good luck, at 18 and 10 i believe you will be able to make it to 20.

I have all kinds of problems with back, knees, and other things. My main problem is my back I have a herniated disc and it is on the secal sac (sp) and pinching my nerves. I have had injections and seem to help for a little while. They want to start an MEB but I have almost 19 years and afraid I will not make it to 20 for retirement. Has anyone else been is this situation and it is possible to stay in unitl I hit the 20 year mark.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

If you are indeed referred for acceptance into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process, please evoke all opportunities as an official participant in order to have a viable chance of obtaining the golden 20 years of active duty federal military service.

In addition, hmm, you may be assigned a very understandable PEBLO who can potentially assist with extending the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process timeline when opportunities present itself especially if known "horrific" injustices are occurring while in the DoD IDES process.

As such, my PEBLO provided such assistance on occasion without an inquiry from me albeit I was already well past the threshold for 20 years of active duty military service! ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

i am just shy of 18 and dont think ill be able to make it anywhere near 20. good luck, at 18 and 10 i believe you will be able to make it to 20.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Hmm, do you have medical conditions that significantly hinder the performance of your assigned military duties?

To that extent, what are your overall expectations while in the military in reference to future military healthcare and any potential military disability compensation benefits? Do you have an understandable PCM and/or military chain of command leadership at this point in time?

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I was in 18.1 years active when I was put in an MEB. I waited at my max time between each step. and appealed the IPEB. The second IPEB gave my what I was supposed to get. And the dis/sev pay was very attractive. Thinking, with retirement my dependents and I get healthcare... well my kids are almost out of the house, my wife job provides better health options for the same tri-care price, Wife and I go to VA Docs anyway-kids will be out of tri-care soon, I don't shop on base now. I did not see the benefits. Am I missing something? That severance check got us debt free minus the mortgage and with lots to spare, and I get enough from the VA (even when they are recouping the sev.) I feared FPEB may offer something worse. I read a-lot about Obama care, being 30 min drive away from a base, Commisary closings, etc... so I accepted the PEB result (10% navy, 80% VA) and got out at 19 years 1 month and 11 days.

Out of curiosity what are you receiving monthly while they are recouping their pay?

Out of curiosity what are you receiving monthly while they are recouping their pay?
Im still getting more then I would if I retired, even minus the 10% VA recop. Figure I would have got 40% base-pay (I took redux, and that was waved when I got PEB-ed out). Only regret is have a life long ID saying I served. As a military brat, I have always had a military ID. Now my TA180 ID is about to expire, saddens me.

CRDP eligibility is a huge issue unless qualified for CRSC. For me, being able to make it to 20 means an additional $3,300+ a month.

Mike

So the VA only recoups 10% per month to pay back the severance? I'm currently sitting at 18 years 5 months and was found unfit on December 24th 2013. I think I'm just short of being able to appeal my way to my 20 year mark, I also took the redux, but don't think I'll rate at less than 30%. It's a real tough situation to be in, 6 months later and I would of been able to stick it out and receive concurrent receipt. I hope that eventually it's approved for under 20 retirees I'll be losing $24k a year by not making it to 20.