18 years Active Duty possible Chrohn's candidate for WTU and MEB

elsereno19

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good Afternoon I have 18 years active Army and currently am stationed in Germany. For the past 4 years I have had Gastro issues that have been Documented. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Chronic Proctitis, Gastritis, Chrohns Disease, and Encopresis not due to a substance or known physiological condition. Recently when I arrived to Germany and was sent to Gastro in Landstuhl I was told that it was doubtful I have Chrohn's Disease. I have a probable diagnosis from an off post Gastro doctor in the U.S. They performed an upper Endoscopy and Blood tests on me and used that to diagnose me. I am now being referred to the German economy to find out what's going on with my intestines. I feel like I have been getting the run around and no one is taking the time to really find out what is wrong with me. The Doctors in Landstuhl told me there is nothing they can do for me there. I saw my PCM and he said there could be 2 courses of action MEB or WTU. I have 18 years in so I do not want to MEB, I am actively working and doing my military job, but I find it real hard to take care of my medical at the same time. I have seen 5 different Gastro Doctors. I am still having the same symptoms as 4 years ago. I do not want to go to the WTU and get MEB there. I want to know what is really wrong with me before I retire and I feel an MEB would just pass the buck to the VA and that is scary. What are my options? I also have other medical conditions that would benefit from WTU but again I want to continue my service to fulfill what I set my mind to long ago 20 years... I have been deployed 3 times to Iraq 2003-04, 2005-06, 2008-09. I also have been diagnosed with Chronic PTSD, Chronic migraines with aura, GERD had surgery but now has returned, Hiatal Hernia, Degenerative Back Disc Disease with L4/L5 disc slipped, L5/S1 slipped disc infringe on nerve root, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Gout Unspecified, Allergic Rhinitis, Essential primary hypertension, Chronic Frontal Sinusitis, Bunionectomy surgery, Radiculopathy lumbar region, Fecal smearing, Diarrhea Unspecified, Fecal Urgency, Abdominal distension, and Hallux Valgus. A whole lot of stuff. Has anyone had a positive experience in the WTU? My goal is to get fixed and taken care of medically and get back into the fight if I can. Currently I have no time to take care of "myself" medically because of my mission here. I want to put my medical aside and continue my mission but I feel as if I am neglecting a healthy future with my family when I retire. I want to be able to enjoy time with my kids and be able to play with them. Has anyone been in a similar situation to mine? Are there any other options? Thank you for all of your assistance in this matter.

Good Afternoon I have 18 years active Army and currently am stationed in Germany. For the past 4 years I have had Gastro issues that have been Documented. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Chronic Proctitis, Gastritis, Chrohns Disease, and Encopresis not due to a substance or known physiological condition. Recently when I arrived to Germany and was sent to Gastro in Landstuhl I was told that it was doubtful I have Chrohn's Disease. I have a probable diagnosis from an off post Gastro doctor in the U.S. They performed an upper Endoscopy and Blood tests on me and used that to diagnose me. I am now being referred to the German economy to find out what's going on with my intestines. I feel like I have been getting the run around and no one is taking the time to really find out what is wrong with me. The Doctors in Landstuhl told me there is nothing they can do for me there. I saw my PCM and he said there could be 2 courses of action MEB or WTU. I have 18 years in so I do not want to MEB, I am actively working and doing my military job, but I find it real hard to take care of my medical at the same time. I have seen 5 different Gastro Doctors. I am still having the same symptoms as 4 years ago. I do not want to go to the WTU and get MEB there. I want to know what is really wrong with me before I retire and I feel an MEB would just pass the buck to the VA and that is scary. What are my options? I also have other medical conditions that would benefit from WTU but again I want to continue my service to fulfill what I set my mind to long ago 20 years... I have been deployed 3 times to Iraq 2003-04, 2005-06, 2008-09. I also have been diagnosed with Chronic PTSD, Chronic migraines with aura, GERD had surgery but now has returned, Hiatal Hernia, Degenerative Back Disc Disease with L4/L5 disc slipped, L5/S1 slipped disc infringe on nerve root, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Gout Unspecified, Allergic Rhinitis, Essential primary hypertension, Chronic Frontal Sinusitis, Bunionectomy surgery, Radiculopathy lumbar region, Fecal smearing, Diarrhea Unspecified, Fecal Urgency, Abdominal distension, and Hallux Valgus. A whole lot of stuff. Has anyone had a positive experience in the WTU? My goal is to get fixed and taken care of medically and get back into the fight if I can. Currently I have no time to take care of "myself" medically because of my mission here. I want to put my medical aside and continue my mission but I feel as if I am neglecting a healthy future with my family when I retire. I want to be able to enjoy time with my kids and be able to play with them. Has anyone been in a similar situation to mine? Are there any other options? Thank you for all of your assistance in this matter.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Hmm, sounds a little like my own medical situation albeit I was over 20 years active federal service prior to being referred with acceptance into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process.

Well, first of all, no good health, no good life in my opinion. Indeed, do all you can medically now to potentially avoid being referred into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process prior to reaching 20 years active federal service. You are in a very tough situation for sure so please don't neglect your medical situation at this particular point in time.

As such, I wasn't transferred to a WTU prior to being referred into the DoD IDES process so I can't prove any sound insightful information; maybe others shall very soon. Take care and get well!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Agree with Warrior644. Continue your treatment and ensure you have an good repoire with your PCM to avoid an MEB. If they begin to MEB you at 19 1/2 years you'll be safe because the process takes so long to get you out before 20. I'm at 18 years in two weeks and have no protection because I'm too far along in the MEB process. Hang in there.

Thank you guys for the reply. I am gonna hang in there I just find myself interested in the WTU because it seems like a place to get my medical needs taken care of properly. I just don't want to be roped into it and then be Med boarded. I am still deployable but my unit here does not deploy. There is no WTU in Germany so I would have to go to the states....