19 Year Possible MEB

I just have to make it to 20, the ADSC doesn’t mean anything at this point except I can’t hit the button until 1 Feb or I would have already applied.

As long as I make it to 20 the service commitment doesn’t matter.

Last edited:
What did your peblo say about the service commitment. If you got medically retired that gets waived right? So as long as you made it to your normal 20 yos mark you’d be good?
A military disability retirement negates the remainder of a service commitment. Retired is retired.

Ron

A military disability retirement negates the remainder of a service commitment. Retired is retired.

Ron
You really have a choice of how you want to do your disibabilty claims, if you want to risk not making 20 years of service and if you wanted to continue service.

If you want to serve for as long as possible, the don't go through the MEB if possible and try to serve as fit as possible so there is no question. And submit claims through the BDD process.

If you want to assure your claims are completed on military time and don't mind extended service, go through the MEB and get paid to fight or appeal if needed through the MEB process
( personally I doubt you need to worry about not hitting 20 in this scenario but it is always a possibility )

If you are severely disabled then always pick your health over compensation, doesn't matter how much retirement/compensation you are awarded if your quality of life prohibits you enjoying your pay out!

So I now have an approved retirement date of 1 Feb and my Dr/PEBLO says they’re not going to MEB me. However, I thought about withdrawing my retirement in October and letting them MEB me. I hit 20 in December. Would there be any benefit to this plan? My thought was getting my rating before I separate as I’m under the care of a case manager so I can’t do it prior to retirement. Maybe I could make it a little longer than February to bump up my top three as I’ll only have SMSgt on for two years when I retire as planned? Thanks!

So I now have an approved retirement date of 1 Feb and my Dr/PEBLO says they’re not going to MEB me. However, I thought about withdrawing my retirement in October and letting them MEB me. I hit 20 in December. Would there be any benefit to this plan? My thought was getting my rating before I separate as I’m under the care of a case manager so I can’t do it prior to retirement. Maybe I could make it a little longer than February to bump up my top three as I’ll only have SMSgt on for two years when I retire as planned? Thanks!
If the "20" you speak of is active duty, that plus a 50% VA comp rate qualifies you for CRDP which would be significant.

I the "20" is the number of good years for reserve retirement, that is important as well...you might qualify for CRDP once you met the reserve retirement age.

See DFAS CRDP LINK <---

Your disability retired pay will reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA comp received.

CRDP restores the longevity portion if you qualify (see link above).

Ron

I hit 20 active duty years in December. I just wasn’t sure if there was an advantage to an MEB after 20?

I hit 20 active duty years in December. I just wasn’t sure if there was an advantage to an MEB after 20?
I had a regular retirement at 22.75 years active duty so I see little benefit to a DoD disability retirement if you already qualify for a regular retirement.

With a disability retirement, your multiplier might be as high as 75%, but your pay is reduced by the amount of VA comp.
Then...if there is left over/residual retired pay, the combination of CRDP and the residual cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay (i.e., 2.5% x AD years x high three).

See DFAS CRDP LINK <---

Ron