199 Help

jonathan.a.brodeur

Registered Member
Alright everyone so my day has come where I have received my 199 and VA findings. My 199 says 80 percent because it seems to only have 3 items on it, my va findings have it at 100 percent. I want to sign this 199 tonight but does this mean I am only getting 80 percent or does VA take priority at 100, as SFC with 16 years in. Please assist and then if someone could tell me where to sign if it makes sense.
My legal team is off and 200 miles away.
Thanks

tony292

PEB Forum Veteran
Sign it. Regardless of what the DOD rating is, the max DOD can pay for a chapter 61 retirement is 75%. So it doesn’t matter if your rated at 75, 80; 90, or 100, you’ll still get paid 75.

Warrior644

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Alright everyone so my day has come where I have received my 199 and VA findings. My 199 says 80 percent because it seems to only have 3 items on it, my va findings have it at 100 percent. I want to sign this 199 tonight but does this mean I am only getting 80 percent or does VA take priority at 100, as SFC with 16 years in. Please assist and then if someone could tell me where to sign if it makes sense.
My legal team is off and 200 miles away.
Thanks
In my experienced opinion, the bottom line is "are you completely satisfied with the IPEB findings" at this point in time?

If yes, then make an election & sign the DA Form 199 in "Section IX: Soldier's Election" then forward back to your PEBLO for continued IDES processing.

If no, then it may be wise to contact the SMEBC for a thorough legal review of your DA Form 199 then consider their recommendation(s) for continued IDES processing. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Navy757

Registered Member
In my experienced opinion, the bottom line is "are you completely satisfied with the IPEB findings" at this point in time?

If yes, then make an election & sign the DA Form 199 in "Section IX: Soldier's Election" then forward back to your PEBLO for continued IDES processing.

If no, then it may be wise to contact the SMEBC for a thorough legal review of your DA Form 199 then consider their recommendation(s) for continued IDES processing. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!
What would be the benefit of not signing out of curiosity, other than a sense of being satisfied? Thanks in advance.

Warrior644

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
What would be the benefit of not signing out of curiosity, other than a sense of being satisfied? Thanks in advance.
Indeed, in general, that's a good question.

To any extent, each service member who has been referred and accepted into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process shall received their own specific results from the MEB and the PEB.

That said and based upon their own individual situation with all available medical evidence and medical documentation in support thereof, it's best to make a well-informed decision rather than a rushed or uninformed decision while the service member is still in the IDES. As such, a rushed or uninformed decision while in the IDES could potentially result in the non-receipt of DoD and/or DoVA benefits as a military disabled veteran and potentially have a future monetary impact on themselves to include their family.

After completion of the DoD IDES and as a military disabled veteran, it may take an extended period of time (e.g., years) to try to correct a previous or unresolved issue when in the DoD IDES. Upon appealing as a military disabled veteran, the previous IDES unresolved issue(s) may still not be corrected even after years of trying through appellate decision boards.

Nonetheless, the DoD IDES has a built-in process to allow the service member an opportunity to have their MEB and PEB findings reviewed by PDES attorneys who shall provide the best options and recommendations for their own specific IDES case. The IDES legal review is a free service and only takes a minimum amount of time to complete albeit the results can have life-changing effects on the service member to include their family. Take care!

Best Wishes!

RonG

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Although not a part of your question, recommend you choose to receive VA compensation, regardless of percentage.

It is not an “either or” situation. If the VA compensation is less than the retired pay, you keep the residual retired pay + VA Comp.

Residual retired pay reduces CRSC payments.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">