20 good years in Sept...when can I safely disclose conditions to MTF?

abra

Registered Member
New'b here. I have several neuromuscular conditions that have a high likelihood of leading to an MEB if/when the full extent of my symptoms are revealed to my MTF. If I go ahead and press forward with this and schedule an MRI in March is there any way I could be med retired before I hit a good 20 years in Sept? Any other major timing considerations that I should be aware of? My goal is to make it to 20. Thanks in advance.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Most MEB's take a considerable amount of time. 4-6 months would be very fast. in what branch do you serve? How much leave have you accrued?

abra

Registered Member
Most MEB's take a considerable amount of time. 4-6 months would be very fast. in what branch do you serve? How much leave have you accrued?
I’m a single-seat Air Force pilot so it’s a bit of a difficult needle to thread because as soon as I get an MRI I’ll be grounded and probably never fly an ejection seat aircraft again. If I could just retire at 20 I’d gut it out but my ADSC takes me to 22, which I don’t think I can do without causing long-term damage.

I technically hit 20 in Dec 21. Sept is accounting for my accrued leave and 20 days PTDY.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
If you are medically retired, your ADSC is irrelevant. Are YOU safe flying? If not, the rest is a no sequitur. Is there someone in the unit that will work with you?

Guardguy11

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I’m a single-seat Air Force pilot so it’s a bit of a difficult needle to thread because as soon as I get an MRI I’ll be grounded and probably never fly an ejection seat aircraft again. If I could just retire at 20 I’d gut it out but my ADSC takes me to 22, which I don’t think I can do without causing long-term damage.

I technically hit 20 in Dec 21. Sept is accounting for my accrued leave and 20 days PTDY.
Are you a Trad or a AGR? When you say 20 good years, is that 20 yrs TAFMS or 20 years title 10 time?

Guardguy11

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Being a trad and going through an MEB won't matter IF the condition that is making you unfit for service is documented in your military medical records and as found to be In the Line of Duty (ILOD).

If you have an LOD for the condition and are found unfit for service, you will be pulled to active duty and given a medical retirement IF the unfitting condition is rated at 30 percent or greater.

Does this help?

abra

Registered Member
Being a trad and going through an MEB won't matter IF the condition that is making you unfit for service is documented in your military medical records and as found to be In the Line of Duty (ILOD).

If you have an LOD for the condition and are found unfit for service, you will be pulled to active duty and given a medical retirement IF the unfitting condition is rated at 30 percent or greater.

Does this help?
It does. Thank you.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">