20+ years of AFS Accepted IPEB findings

Tiger6Bravo

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I just received my IPEB results and I accepted both Army and VA (100% from both). So obviously I signed my 199 right away. I feel that some VA ratings are inaccurate, but even without my one condition of 100%, all the other conditions with listed percentages add up to 90% (using VA math). Per other questions posted on here, I expect that the USAPDA review and ultimately receiving my orders process takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Even though I accepted the IPEB findings, I am still so stressed out from the IDES process, managing my "unfitting condition", being back home, and dealing with my unit remotely. CDR and 1SG seem fully supportive and happy for me and even mentioned a retirement party; however, after telling my unit of my results -which I now know I SHOULD NOT have done- it seems like things have become more difficult for me in dealing with my unit and higher. [Note: to all members who receive favorable IPEB results...NEVER OPEN THE KIMONO!! Keep your ratings to yourself. I only mention mine here as I am somewhat anonymous. I think.].

Anyway, due to the aforementioned stress -and recent anxiety/panic attacks as well- I am firmly convinced the USAPDA is going to kick back my 199 for some reason. Maybe just paranoia. But my main questions are: 1. how difficult can higher echelons or my unit make my transition process? ; 2. if there was a dissenting board member, would it state so on my 199 or somewhere else? 3. Does USAPDA go back over ALL records, like all my past medical records, or do they just review basic board related items like NARSUM, 199, VA proposed rating, C&P exams, etc.?

The board results seem cut and dry. My condition is what it is and worsening. My commanders statement is extremely positive, and my last 5 NCOERS are practically solid gold. So why do I still feel like everything is going to fall apart at any moment? Apologies if that seems like a dumb question, and sorry for the lengthy post. But I am tired of searching the internet for hours regarding my concerns, and figured I would just unburden myself here and see if anyone has some advice for me.

Thank you in advance!

My 2.5 cents -

You have received your ratings; therefore, be happy and use this time to focus on life after the Army. Disclosing your ratings to your unit can be good/bad but one thing to remember.....perception is uncontrolled. From here on, just maintain a optimistic view and the remainder of this whole daunting processs will be finalized. Best Wishes going forward!

Thank you. You're right, perception is largely uncontrolled. Plus EVERY person I have talked to that has gone through the MEB/PEB process has told me that haters come out of the woodwork. It's just not how I wanted my career to end. 22 years as a good Solider battling a bunch of BS, stressed to the breaking point, dealing with a debilitating disease, and worrying about every other issue. Plus dealing with people that are just out to make your life more difficult than it needs to be, for no other reason than pettiness. I don't get it.

But hank you for the support! Cheers!

Anyway, due to the aforementioned stress -and recent anxiety/panic attacks as well- I am firmly convinced the USAPDA is going to kick back my 199 for some reason. Maybe just paranoia. But my main questions are: 1. how difficult can higher echelons or my unit make my transition process? ;

@Tiger6Bravo ,

I hope you are pleased with your outcome. It seems, based on what you have written, to be the best outcome you could get. Here are my thoughts on your posts:

First, the USAPDA has to review all cases where the member disagrees with the findings of the FPEB. However, they also review a small percentage of all cases for QA/QC purposes. Bottom line, if you did not appeal your FPEB findings, it is highly unlikely that there will be any review of your case.

2. if there was a dissenting board member, would it state so on my 199 or somewhere else?

Yes. If there was a dissenting opinion, it would be included in your DA 199.

3. Does USAPDA go back over ALL records, like all my past medical records, or do they just review basic board related items like NARSUM, 199, VA proposed rating, C&P exams, etc.?

As I explained above, they only look at cases where a member disagrees or in a small percentage of cases for QU/QC purposes. If they do look at a case, they will look at the entirety of your PEB case file. Note that if they make a change to your case (which is highly unlikely) they have to inform you and give you an opportunity for another FPEB hearing. This is extremely rare to occur. I would not worry yourself unless you get a notification otherwise. Given your years of service, I highly doubt you will have a change to the findings.

The board results seem cut and dry. My condition is what it is and worsening. My commanders statement is extremely positive, and my last 5 NCOERS are practically solid gold. So why do I still feel like everything is going to fall apart at any moment? Apologies if that seems like a dumb question, and sorry for the lengthy post. But I am tired of searching the internet for hours regarding my concerns, and figured I would just unburden myself here and see if anyone has some advice for me.

I understand the stress and anxiety. It is a big deal as to how the findings shake out and how you are compensated. That said, I have no reason to think you should be overly concerned. If something comes up or things go sideways, please let us know.

You're right, perception is largely uncontrolled. Plus EVERY person I have talked to that has gone through the MEB/PEB process has told me that haters come out of the woodwork. It's just not how I wanted my career to end. 22 years as a good Solider battling a bunch of BS, stressed to the breaking point, dealing with a debilitating disease, and worrying about every other issue. Plus dealing with people that are just out to make your life more difficult than it needs to be, for no other reason than pettiness. I don't get it.

You deserve to be proud of your service. You served enough for length of service to retire, but even that aside, you served, were disabled in the line of duty, and merit your retirement.

Be proud!

I hope all goes well for you and if you have any questions, please let us know. Best of luck!

Jason

Jason,

Wow, thank you so much! I really appreciate the sincere reassurance! Truly. And thank you for addressing all of my concerns. Pouring over the internet to find answers to those questions only served to make me more stressed and took time away from focusing on my family, as well as life after the Army. In hindsight my first post was largely cathartic, but you are right; I have put in my time, done my best, and am now just dealing with unfortunate circumstances. But things do look optimistic right now, and it seems like the Army is going to take care of me. I simply need to adjust my mentality, stay positive, wait for my orders, and stop fearing the worst for no particular reason.

So thanks again for taking the time to respond to me, especially in such detail. And I will definitely let you know if something changes with my packet. I'm on leave, so until the word comes down, I am just going to de-stress and probably use Military OneSource. Hopefully have some positive news to report soon. Cheers!