20+ Yr AD AF findings

Faith19

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
20+yr AD AF (18 May 2000 is date of entry)
Currently assigned to AMTU since 26 Nov 19 as a patient (9P000/9W200)
Removed from duties since Mar 2019
Received my ratings:
70 DoD
100 VA (proposed)
TDRL
1 Dependent
1 March 100 days of leave (45 tax exempt)
CC already approved 20 PTDY
Applying for SSDI 8 Mar 21

Appealing non combat related to combat related.

With all that said trying to see:
1) benefits based on my ratings
2) Sell my 60 days leave (max by law) and take rest or take all leave.
3) Any other info I am not asking about. Don’t know what you don’t know to even inquire about.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
20+yr AD AF (18 May 2000 is date of entry)
Currently assigned to AMTU since 26 Nov 19 as a patient (9P000/9W200)
Removed from duties since Mar 2019
Received my ratings:
70 DoD
100 VA (proposed)
TDRL
1 Dependent
1 March 100 days of leave (45 tax exempt)
CC already approved 20 PTDY
Applying for SSDI 8 Mar 21

Appealing non combat related to combat related.

With all that said trying to see:
1) benefits based on my ratings
2) Sell my 60 days leave (max by law) and take rest or take all leave.
3) Any other info I am not asking about. Don’t know what you don’t know to even inquire about.

Thanks in advance!
Hello,

With 20 years active duty plus the other info, the following will apply:

1. VA comp @ 100%, category of dependent is unknow, with spouse is shown here: 3,321.85
2. Your DoD disability pay @ 70% will be: average high three base pay times 70% = Disability retired pay
3. The amount of pay determined at item 2 will be reduced by the amount at item one.
4. CRDP will restore the amount of the longevity portion of retired pay which using your data is: exactly 20 year AD x 2.5% = longevity multiplier of 50%
Average high three base pay x longevity multiplier of 50% = longevity portion of retired pay and the CRDP
note: any years in excess of 20 are unknown to me as is your high three average base pay. The multiplier formula is active duty years and months times 2.5% UNLESS you accepted blended retirement which results in 2%.
5. CRSC, if approved, is non-taxable and can be chosen; however it will never be more than the amount determined at item 4 and could be less.

Other questions can best be answered by others.

Ron

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the thorough review. The proposed amount from VA is $3375.48 that’s with a dependent child.

Good to learn that while on TDRL the pay % would be at the 70 not the 50. Been getting told different since I am over 20. But maybe that is because of item 3&4.

My retirement will be either 20yrs, 10 months to 21yrs 1 month. I am High 3. This stuff is so complicated. Truly do appreciate your time.

Do not wait to file SSDI. By law yu must wait 5 months from your filing to get paid (assuming you are approved). If you wait until March, you could lose a month of benefits!

Thank you so much for the thorough review. The proposed amount from VA is $3375.48 that’s with a dependent child.

Good to learn that while on TDRL the pay % would be at the 70 not the 50. Been getting told different since I am over 20. But maybe that is because of item 3&4.

My retirement will be either 20yrs, 10 months to 21yrs 1 month. I am High 3. This stuff is so complicated. Truly do appreciate your time.
Hello @Faith19 ,

1. 50% is the minimum for TDRL. If your DoD approved for TDRL is 70%; you receive 70%.
2. 20 years 10 months of Active duty duty = 20..83 AD years x 2.5% = ~ 52.08% longevity multiplier
3. High three average base pay is the total of the highest 36 months base pay divided by 36.

Good luck,
Ron

I have the application filled out I just have questions on some of the questions and when I called the 1800 I was told to make an apt with local office to get them answered.:(

I don’t want to answer incorrectly or falsely

Do not wait to file SSDI. By law yu must wait 5 months from your filing to get paid (assuming you are approved). If you wait until March, you could lose a month of benefits!
When I created my app online at the end it said in order to use create date of 2/14/21 as the official application date for Social Security benefits they must receive a signed application by 8/15/21.

below that it said if interested in SSI to use create date of online app of 2/14/21 I have to submit signed application by 4/15/21.

based on this is where I decided it wouldn’t hurt to have them look it over on 8 March. If I am missing something please share. Would hate to see myself short over few questions.

I recommend not selling leave. Also retire the day before the last day of the month, this will make sure you get your VA compensation one month sooner.

I recommend not selling leave. Also retire the day before the last day of the month, this will make sure you get your VA compensation one month sooner.
Re: " Also retire the day before the last day of the month, this will make sure you get your VA compensation one month sooner."

That is excellent advice.

Remember that the day before the retirement date is the last day of active duty. The effective date of retirement is the next day.

This example strategy would not accomplish what Tony recommended:
--Last day on active duty: 30 June
--First day in a retired status: 1 July
Note: In this example, first month of VA comp accrual would be 1-31 August paid on 1 September.

This example would work:
--Last day on active duty: 29 June
--First day in a retired status: 30 June
Note: In this example, first month of VA comp accrual would be 1-31 July paid on 1 August.

Trivia: All regular retirements are on the first day of a certain month. My effective date of retirement was 1 August 1991 which would have precluded VA comp for 1-31 August.

Ron