4 Knee Surgies on Left Knee - Medical Retirement?

Squid3245

Registered Member
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and looking for some advice. Long story short, I am a Active Duty Navy I have had a total of 4 knee surgeries on my left knee. I had a Left ACL tear (hamstring graft repair), Left knee lateral meniscus bucket handle tear, Left knee debridement, and finally a Left knee Meniscus Transplant and coupled with a Osteochondral Autograft Transfer procedure. I have been recovering for a little over a year, went into my first LIMDU session, and now am trying to decide what to do. My knee still has pain twisting and gives way at random times during the day. I am trying to decide if I am eligible for a Medical Retirement. I have 8 years of service and am looking into one of the Agencies to continue my service, but I believe that a Medical Retirement will preclude me from screening for those jobs on the outside. I have missed my career progression screening and do not have the ability to continue a full career in the Military. My questions are, would I be eligible for Medical Retirement? Will that preclude me from screening for further federal service? I have a very complicated case so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

D

Hello,

Recommend you visit with your chain of command concerning your medical condition.

"Many MEB/PEB actions occur when a military member voluntarily presents him/herself at the Medical Treatment Facility (MTF) for medical care. Commanders may, at any time, refer military members to the MTF for a mandatory medical examination, when they believe the member is unable to perform his/her military duties due to a medical condition. This examination may cause conduct of a MEB, which will be forwarded to the PEB when it finds that the member's medical condition falls below medical retention standards."
--non-government source

Medical Evaluation Board (MEB)
Physical Evaluation Board (PEB)

Ron

I know your pain. I have had 5 knee surgeries, 4 ACL replacements, several meniscus repairs, and a meniscus transplant. Along with other ligament repairs. I have gone through the MEB and was found not fit for duty. I completed my C&P exams which are the exams you complete to get rating for your knee. It sounds as if you haven't even been put in for an MEB, and we cant say whether you would be medically retired or separated without seeing more information about the c&P exams you would get. Your best bet is to go on with your job and continue with any medical appointments you may have in the future. When and if it does come down that you are going through an MEB then I would suggest coming on here and asking those questions.